Recommendation For A Portable Usb Hub For Pandora?

Dead1nside

Website
www.jonathanpritchard.com
It's a pretty trivial thing but I was wondering if any of you have purchased a USB hub in preparation for your Pandoras? Any recommendations? I quite like this one http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=469617 seems quite well designed, appealing to the eye. I guess the technical issue is whether it has one converter per port, for USB 1/1.1 - USB2 conversion.

Thanks in advance.

I bought two, myself - one Griffin SmartShare (which was recommended by Gruso, if memory serves :p), which is a two-port creation that's more like a "splitter" than a hub, and one Belkin F5U415 for use during TV-out sessions, which is a four port hub which (although it's not mentioned in the description) comes with a power adapter.

I'm looking at this one from Lindy, though I haven't ordered it yet. It's also sold at OfficeDepot by Targus for a higher price, which might come out in the wash after shipping.

Because someone put the wrong photograph there. :p I just grabbed this link via Google Images - you can see what it really looks like there.

We discussed this a while ago. At the end of the thread TrashyMG and myself posted one for the beagleboard. I think that one is particularly nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just stumbled across this guy. The one review didn't like it, but I originally found it on a modders forum where a lot of people used it to add internal USB devices, and they liked it.

P11604469.jpg

BackAssward said:
Just stumbled across this guy.

Hmm that looks like it's gonna hang pretty nastily out of the back of a Pandora!

Pleng said:
BackAssward said:
Just stumbled across this guy.

Hmm that looks like it's gonna hang pretty nastily out of the back of a Pandora!

Not with the lid all the way open, but yes, not ideal. On a crappy note, I found a USB flash drive with a 2 port hub built in. But it was discontinued a while ago and is expensive. If it was current and priced reasonably, it would be an awesome choice.

BackAssward said:
On a crappy note, I found a USB flash drive with a 2 port hub built in. But it was discontinued a while ago and is expensive. If it was current and priced reasonably, it would be an awesome choice.
What a curiousity - I've never heard of such a thing. Do you have any links, please?

Prometheus said:
BackAssward said:
On a crappy note, I found a USB flash drive with a 2 port hub built in. But it was discontinued a while ago and is expensive. If it was current and priced reasonably, it would be an awesome choice.
What a curiousity - I've never heard of such a thing. Do you have any links, please?
There are many links, I can't recommend one specifically. The easiest thing is a GIS or Google of "Ritek Yego". Ritek being the manufacturer, Yego the product. As I said, I think they were discontinued. The largest was 8GB, but I can only find the 4GB. Plus they are far too expensive for me to care.

Edit. Apparently Walmart has them listed, and so does pcconnectionexpress. That is, if you want to pay $37 for a 4GB flash with 2 port hub and want them in orange. buy.com has them listed, as do a few other places. Though no idea if that means they are in stock.

Edit2: Oops, another possible name for it is RiData Yego

Thanks muchly - I'll check it out.

EDIT: Hah, what a funny little device. It's a shame they've been discontinued.

I have a few hubs at home that i dont even use yet, my fav one i got for my PS3 as only had 2 ports on that and needed to plug in a controller/webcam/hdd/kboard ... but it didnt work on my PS3 unfortunately, works on the laptop though, might try that on my pandora, though not sure i will need one myself, what are you guys planning on connecting via USB?

these are ok too, small and offer additional connections, you could end up with some mass tree of USB growing from your port¬

ritek.jpg

Fzero said:
these are ok too, small and offer additional connections, you could end up with some mass tree of USB growing from your port¬
You aren't allowed to plug unpowered hubs into unpowered hubs, as per the USB spec. If these are allowing it, then they're not following the spec, and even if they do, you'd quickly run out of power. You might get 4 devices total out of this sort of splicing before there's just not enough juice on the port to keep up. You may as well get a 4 port unpowered hub in that case.

'not allowed'?

'THE USB SPEC'?

This is new to me...

I always thought it was not ideal, and that probably it loses power/speeds, but didnt know of any specs that say dont do it, interesting.

personally i wouldnt anyway, i think one usb at a time is ok for me.
maybe an external hdd to transfer data at times, maybe a USB controller for player2 to battle me [if possible] ....
....besides that, i cant think what id need USB for, let alone more than a one connection at a time.

Fzero said:
Dude, those were the ones I was talking about that have flash storage in them. The ones that seem discontinued and not in stock anywhere. Look up at my previous couple posts.

ahh yes i see BackASsWards, sorry, i didnt click your link originally when i read the post, and just replied hastly

sometimes if its just text links to images/pages ... i dont always click through

[im at work, get grief for using web for non-work .... forums i can say are 'technical forums that i need to refer for work purposes']
:)

Do any of these powered hubs power (charge) devices when not plugged into a computer?

I want to be able to charge devices when they're plugged into the mains, but the USB end isn't plugged into a computer at the same time. I have lots of devices that charge via USB, but not enough power sockets to have them each plugged into a single USB mains charger at the same time (absolute gadget freak, even with multi-plugs on every power point I'm running out!).

Hey all,

I've just been looking around, making a futile attempt to track down one of the fabled Griffith hubs. No dice so far, but I did stumble across this potential alternative. Has anyone worked with this device before?

http://sewelldirect.com/usbhubmini2port_specs.asp

More than anything I'm trying to find a hub that will place a minimum of structural strain on the Pandora's port when it's not resting on a table or something similar, such as when I would be holding it while on the go, so I'm mainly considering port-powered lightweight hubs with longer cables (can be placed in a pocket) or port-powered hyper-compact ones with at least two ports (hugs close to the Pandora's form, providing maximum structural support). I'm thinking this one may fit the latter criteria almost as well as the Griffin one would, but I'm still looking in case there's something better lurking around someplace...

EDIT: Oh, and while I have run across a few that might work quite well while taped to the Pandora's lid, I'd rather not take that sort of approach if I can help it. Then again, maybe there's some kind of velcro-style solution that'd work well...

Cheers~

Back