Recommend Caanoo Accessories

OpenTortoise

Still Fresh
I have ordered my Caanoo from ThinkGeek,I will receive it soon, and I know I will need certain things to make my experience complete.

The first is a case. Play-Asia sells the Caanoo Jelly case, and it seems fine. It looks like it will be out of stock soon since it is a discontinued item, so that is my first bet. Most likely my only and best.
Are there any alternatives?

I am also looking for a carrying case to protect the entire console, especially the screen when not in use. It is unfortunate that there is not official case like that.

Second, I wish to buy a wifi dongle. I looked at the official product, and I just don't want that. It is huge, it will make playing on the Caanoo awkward, especially for vertical games, and I will have to take it off whenever I put it away. Also, they are out of stock.
Many of the usb wifi adapters are tiny, and seem perfect for my needs. However, I am unsure of the compatibility for any of them. Is there a list I can look at, or can I like, buy one I like and ask nicely for someone to code the drivers? That seems a stupid thing to ask, asking too much. I would ordre this off of amazon, shipping to the US, so if I can be recommended one that works, that would be grand.

Also, is the TV out a universal cable? I don't plan to buy one immediately, but, I'd like to know what works.

This is my first post, and I hope to be somewhat useful to the community. I do not code yet, I am not very talented at troubleshooting, and I will certainly ask more questions than I will answer. However, I plan to be active, and learn as much as I can, maybe one day making useful or interesting contributions.

Edit 1: Moments after posting I discovered Game Suave, which offer difference stock statuses for the things I am looking for. This does not change my questions, but it does give me an option from where to buy things, especially the TV out cable.

Well I bought the usb wlan stick. I use it rarely, but for browsing its ok. No ssl which sucks. I would love some email / icq programm without going over the websites.
Meebo works with login and reading messages but for some reasons you cant write some of your own.

The tv out cable would be a nice addition. xvid 320x240 works realy good and fast. 640x480 works slow... most time its ok, but sometimes it hangs a bit. Not sure if the other supported formats / codecs works better (i think they may work better).

Hi OpenTortoise, pick up one of these wifi adapters, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZM17RA/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000XQHWGG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0EHGSVR2EKGYP2PFX4DN , they work out of the box and are tiny.

As far as cases go, some forum members have bought cases originally for a DSI or a PSP with good results, just be sure about the measurements.

Damn, is there any wifi adapters that are prime eligible? I can totally wait and see.

Ah, maybe I can find a generic case that will fit my needs. It is a trifle for sure, but I would not want a case that advertises an NDS(I) or PSP if they are not housing their respective handhelds.

The psp case I use, doesn't advertise anything else than the case manufacturer itself. see here
It fits the Caanoo quite well and has some extra storage space for sd-cards and cables/headphones. I guess, there are some of this kind available.

OpenTortoise said:
The first is a case. Play-Asia sells the Caanoo Jelly case, and it seems fine. It looks like it will be out of stock soon since it is a discontinued item, so that is my first bet. Most likely my only and best.
Are there any alternatives?
I am also looking for a carrying case to protect the entire console, especially the screen when not in use. It is unfortunate that there is not official case like that.

I'm really happy with the case i bought for just £2.50 on ebay uk. The dsi badge on the top comes off pretty easily if you want it to be plain.
You will need to stretch/bend down the bottom side edges of the case where the caanoo fits in just to make the fit perfect. See pics and link to the ebay page here..
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/63061-recommended-caanoo-case-charger/.
I should mention that if you have a jelly case on your console then this case may be too small for you as it's a snug fit for the caanoo as it is

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about carrying cases - personally don't mind a few scratches ;-), would recommend:
- the buffalo tiny usb wifi adaptor mentioned above; should work ok (much nicer than the official one)
- socket usb charger if you don't have one (like this one)
- nice big SD card (8G is a good start)

not to hijack but i notice there's no wall charger for caanoo will a usb phone charger adapter plug work for the wall outlet or will it hurt my caanoo?

Back