Release [Rebirth] Pengyne - 2d/3d Engine - 2-27-2012

jorgon

Still Fresh
Update Time.

LinkToThePast.png

Pengyne.png

Pengyne is a game engine, written in c/c++ that uses a built in python interpreter for the game code. It runs on OpenGL 2.0 and GLES 2.0 with ports for Pandora, Win32, and OSX. Linux probably works, but I have not actually compiled for it yet. Android is in the near future, and iOS is planned beyond that (iPhone 3gs minimum).

The goal is to write your game once, and distribute it everywhere. I am designing it in such a way that you should never need to touch the c++ code, everything should be in python.

At this point, I am looking for feedback from some developers that are already familiar with 3d rendering. I want to polish it for the next month and enter it in the rebirth competition. I still have lots of work to do, but it is usable as is.

The attached zip file has a Win32 binary and a few tutorial projects:

2d sprites

basic 3d rendering

3d voxel rendering

Tiled (http://www.mapeditor.org/) map loading and rendering.

Currently working features:

2d and 3d rendering

Vertex and Index Buffers

Shaders

Sprites with speed optimizations

HTML-like GUI with CSS and python scripting (like javascript in normal html)

Keyboard input.

Tiled Basic map file support.

Semi working features:

Input needs more work

Future:

Unified shader language

Physics (2d and 3d)

More tutorials for other features.

More...

Pengyne.zip

Attachments

• Pengyne.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 323
Last edited by a moderator:
you cant publicly release the thing if you plan on entering it into the competition

If I write apps in this, will I become a Pengynacologist? :wub:

Well, there are as many game engines as there are people, so thats to be expected :)

Now if only we had art engines -- to spew out new sprite or 3d models for us who can't do it -- we'd have something ;)

jeff

Now if only we had art engines -- to spew out new sprite or 3d models for us who can't do it -- we'd have something ;)
You've given me an idea... but that's going O/T.

I think it's going to be pretty difficult for users to judge a game engine, so I hope there's a game in there too :)

First of all: Nice engine. Do I need to have python installed in my Windows-VM? And if I have to: Which version?

@skeeziz: Are you sure? If I think about multi platform engines for the pandora and other handhelds, I have in mind:

• Pengyne (Python)
  • Penjin (C++ OOP)
  • glBasic (Basic)
  • maybe ogre...

What other engines exist (and are used!)?

First of all: Nice engine. Do I need to have python installed in my Windows-VM? And if I have to: Which version?
Nope you don't, I've just tried it

What other engines exist (and are used!)?
There's a 3D engine being built currently, but I can't find the thread or remember the guys name, think it was Steve something... He posted a poll for various gametypes to chose from

Edit: Not sure if still bothered, but found it: Stephane Hockenhull - Engine Thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the boards.

That's a mighty exciting first post you have there. Looking forward to see and hear more of this.

BTW, in case there is interest in other 3D engines, there is this: http://maratis3d.org/

Work was done recently to make it buildable (!) ON the Pandora. So .. there's that. BTW, it exposes a Lua programming interface ..

Maratis indeed looks promising, It builds everywhere either out of box, or with small tweaks.

Plus it already seems to have promising tools.

I'm working on building it on the Pandora, so we can edit 3D scenes with it on the Pandora .. should be possible, they just added a GLES front-end for the editor a few weeks ago.

Jorgon, what features to you plan to have ready for the compo?

Wow, thanks torpor! That sure looks like a VERY promising engine :D I have been willing to do some 3D stuff for the Pandora for quite a while. I can do 3D models (I even do it as a job at the moment) and I have some basic C++ knowledge :) So hopefully I'll be able to do something in 3D for Pandora sometimes.else I'll just stick to 2D and do 3D with Unity for Android.

Back