Release [Rebirth] Pengyne - 2d/3d Engine - 2-27-2012

Great to see some excitement about it. I have been working on it in my off time, and already have a few more features I need to update the zip file with.

Keyboard input works now, with an "action" mapping to make bindable keys simple. Mouse needs more work, with grabbing, absolute and relative modes. Joysticks need more work as well. I squashed a bug with the VertexBuffer that was causing slowdowns in certain situations.

Sorry PokeParadox, I didn't see Penjin until I had started the Pandora port and was looking through the wiki for OpenGL information. I am trying to shorten the toolchain for developers and make it easier to develop games and other 3d accelerated apps. The name is a simple mashup to Python and Engine ([P]eng[y]ne).

pmprog, Yea, I know it is hard to judge a engine. I was originally intending to port Wizzley Presto based off of craig's javascript port, but it seems to have stalled. But since Catacomb Snatch's source was released, I thought that might be a good port to do.

Ziz, No python needed, it is embedded in the pengyne executable, just add code to the Game folder. It should take much work getting a native linux build working, I will add that to my todo list.

Todo: (in no particular order)

Finish Tiled (http://www.mapeditor.org/) support

Render to Texture

Unified GL shaders written in python

2d collision / physics (box2d)

Pure Linux build

3d collision / physics (undecided, possibly Bullet)

3d gpu skinning

If anybody wants to try making a 2d or 3d game, feel free to, and let me know if you need something added.

Sorry PokeParadox, I didn't see Penjin until I had started the Pandora port and was looking through the wiki for OpenGL information. I am trying to shorten the toolchain for developers and make it easier to develop games and other 3d accelerated apps. The name is a simple mashup to Python and Engine ([P]eng[y]ne).

Ah no problemo, it was just funny seeing a pretty unique name crop up again, kinda... Penjin is a mashup of Pirate and Engine. And again you have similar goals in mind and for that I wish you the best of luck, although you are making very good progress it seems! :)

The original post is updated.

Tiled map support works, but there is a horizontal rendering artifact left to iron out. It is also limited to Base64 uncompressed maps until I can get zlib to behave.

Box2d is added to the source, but is not exposed to python yet.

Increased the speed of the sprite rendering demo so it can handle more goombas before slowing.

Back