Real Gp2x Photo (ooooh Noooo - Volume Control)

I think the screen is fake. I have a BLU which this is the same screen as and it is not as bright. Plus at the top the edge is slightly un-even but at the bottom it isn't. The image could be pasted as semi transparent or the hand with the camera could be pasted as transparent too. The edge bleeding could just be from PS when you do the blending anti-aliasing etc.

But did you notice that the battery icon is wrong? the plus side of the battery actually has a minus there ;)

There's no disernable depth to the screen, nothing to show that the visual image is inside. No diffusion from the plastic screen (even raising the saturation would increase the evidence of pixels because the resolution isn't as fine.)

Someone take a close up high res picture of a BLU or even a PSP and you'll see the difference.

EDIT: Here I did a quick mock up just to show what can be done in 5 minutes with a crappy camera.I even added a fake glow to the power LED to make it look like it was on.
fakescreen.jpg

Likely the screen was off, the reflection wouldnt be effected at all once you layered image on the photo in the "screen" or "lighten" setting with a slight transparency.

Alpha2 posted on Sep 30 2005 at 04:19 AM said:
There's no disernable depth to the screen, nothing to show that the visual image is inside. No diffusion from the plastic screen (even raising the saturation would increase the evidence of pixels because the resolution isn't as fine.)

Someone take a close up high res picture of a BLU or even a PSP and you'll see the difference.

EDIT: Here I did a quick mock up just to show what can be done in 5 minutes with a crappy camera.I even added a fake glow to the power LED to make it look like it was on.
fakescreen.jpg

Likely the screen was off, the reflection wouldnt be effected at all once you layered image on the photo in the "screen" or "lighten" setting with a slight transparency.

OMFG!! you made a pentium PC emu and it runs XP and browses the net!!!

You are a genius , I know it is real cause I see the reflection. Awesome now I can play DoomIII and Half life 2 on my GP32!!

:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Know what's really sad? I really want a browser like that on my GP32 now.. *laugh*

I like my GP32 for what it does and what it'll yet do, and that's mostly enough. When I get my GP2X, I'll like that for what it does and what it'll do in the future. I don't have any unreasonable expectations for it.

DaveC posted on Sep 30 2005 at 03:22 AM said:
Plus at the top the edge is slightly un-even but at the bottom it isn't.
Hmm.. you are right, the top is misaligned. Obviously I didn't look at it as well as I thought. :unsure: That certainly does makes it look more like a paste in.

As for the other points such as colour vibrancy, I did concede it was too bright and likely had been colour enhanced in PS after the fact.. pixelation/graininess issues (as mentioned by Alpha) could be smoothed out without too much trouble. For example, I did my own "5 minute in PS test"... this is a genuine image being displayed on my BLU... I just fiddled with it a bit in PS afterwards.
menushot.jpg

(Yes, it's not nearly as pretty as the original, mind you the text and images are now 2nd generation photos and I did only spend 5 minutes)

So, while I still think it's technically possible either way, I am convinced now that you guys are right and it's an image pasted on... it's just easier to fake it that way. (Plus the misaligned top)

shinneri said:
Why doesn't someone just ask if the screen's real?
Now, what fun would THAT be? It's far more fun to endlessly speculate and play with graphics at 3AM :blink: :lol: (Did I mention I can't wait for my GP2X? :D)

Winterkid posted on Oct 1 2005 at 12:42 AM said:
Know what's really sad? I really want a browser like that on my GP32 now.. *laugh*
Well, !Reader can handle webpages complete with embedded images. Not too shabby. :)

It's probably reflective that's why it's so bright. I think the rubber caps might have been left off to better show off the bells and whistles.

... and Gif is just a weird choice for pics. But I suppose it was done to spare bandwidth.

I don't think that sawing the volume control in half to make two buttons would be a good idea -- if it is a rocker (which it appears to be) then the fulcrum is in the middle which will be holding the switch in the case. Obviously I can't be certain as I haven't seen the unit, but I'll let someone else try it.

Back