Gp2x Master Volume Control Released By Md81544

critical

Certified Guru
Website
www.handheldhacker.com
MD81544 has just released his GP2X Master Volume Control utility. Source is available, and he has scripts to go with it to operate with autorun too. Very handy for setting the volume when launching things that don't provide any control of their own, or just to have a default that's more to your liking. Some of the text from his web page describing it is below:

GP2X Master Volume Control
It seemed to me that firmware 2.1.1 for the GP2X caused my unit to get extremely loud... when the green "loading firmware" screen comes on, there is a noticeable background hiss in the headphones. Caused, I assume, by the master volume of the device being set to max (or close to it)

You can run the executable from the gp2xmenu GUI, and, by default it will set the volume to a reasonable level.

Will this stop programs changing the volume to whatever level they like when you start them up?
e.g You set the volume in gngeo2x & it keeps the same volume for the next program.

Or could it be made to do that?

EDIT: Just noticed the other thread here! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
omg :eek: i added this in the firmware wishlist yesterday :D does it have a mute mode on it. Im going on a plane soon and my head phone jack is broken and i want to play it so thanks to you i can :D

omg :eek: i added this in the firmware wishlist yesterday :D does it have a mute mode on it. Im going on a plane soon and my head phone jack is broken and i want to play it so thanks to you i can :D
Well, clearly setting volume to 0 will do the job. I guess you could have a script like this (untested):

Code:
#!/bin/sh
/mnt/sd/Util/master_vol.gpu 0
Which you could run before doing anything.

Will this stop programs changing the volume to whatever level they like when you start them up?
e.g You set the volume in gngeo2x & it keeps the same volume for the next program.

Or could it be made to do that?
It can't stop programs from changing the volume to whatever they like - if they don't behave as you want them to, you should ask the author. As for the system volume being left at the level set by a given program... you could get around this by using md81544's util, yes. You could create a launch script for gngeo2x that runs it, then runs master_vol.gpu on exit, passing the normal values you want restored. Or, you could just run it manually after exiting from gngeo2x.

It would be interesting to add this sort of functionality into ryo's gmenu2x... I'll ask him about it.

There was speaker-toggle specifically for this kind of problem ;) But setting a volume of 0 will effectively mute it too!

Edit: oops, should have refreshed before posting, Critical made the same suggestion!

It can't stop programs from changing the volume to whatever they like - if they don't behave as you want them to, you should ask the author. As for the system volume being left at the level set by a given program... you could get around this by using md81544's util, yes. You could create a launch script for gngeo2x that runs it, then runs master_vol.gpu on exit, passing the normal values you want restored. Or, you could just run it manually after exiting from gngeo2x.

It would be interesting to add this sort of functionality into ryo's gmenu2x... I'll ask him about it.
I didn't actually mean that it should be used to force programs to a certain sound level, but that the devs could implement it if they wanted to.

I'm looking forward to messing about with this MD81544, cheers & welcome :D

Ryo posted on Dec 1 2006 at 03:27 PM said:
Just wanted to inform that I implemented this in gmenu2x for next release.
You don't sleep much do you Ryo? ;)
Finaly one of the 2x's most annoying problems can be dealt with, cheers for adding it & thanks MD81544 for the code to do it.
Hurrah!

Back