Raspberry Pi - 25 Dollar PC on a USB stick

do you guys ever get the feeling information is being withheld about something pretty awesome?

kinda getting that feeling right about now....

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Craig has previously admitted that he is working on a new product with MWeston.

A similar has an idea crossed my mind in "A Pandora 2 Concept" why not have a Thindora (case + comms equipment) and a wireless box in your bag/pocket.

The thing in your pocket could be a Rasberry Pi with wireless stuff attached.

But yes, something awesome is brewing.

Do you think it will be released to coincide with German Pandora production? That would be double-barreled awesome

what like a thin cleint? You can basically do this now on the current pandora with a remote desktop view. You would still need a processor etc for that, might as well just keep the pandora as is, the current SoC is not too much more than what you would want for something like this, I wouldn't change the current design for connecting to seperate computer/device.

EDIT: also you can eliminate android for remote control, I'm not familiar with a remote control application.... actually I think one exists, but I'm not familar with it and I dont' think it's over wifi... have to get back with you on that one.

EDIT2: nevermind found some vnc server apps wthat work over usb, and wifi but you need root access

What I was suggesting is the equilivant to a motherboard upgradeable pandora, all the things that make the pandora awesome would stay there, just remove the parts that could be updated to [insert bleeding edge spec'd device here]

you could even do something simple as battery to usb dongle (power only) hdmi to display (video) power the lcd from that battery too. For the keyboard + controller + analog you can have it as a usb slave like a usb joypad. Android 4.x (comes standard on the AI dongle) supports usb host and the raspi with linux obvioulsy will work hardware willing. If that is too complicated just do bluetooth connection instead of usb slave.

You can always take one of these dongles and plug it into the pandora and run your remote connetion there... but what a waist of battery running 2 systems at once, on a portable.... or seperate power supply for the dongle in your pocket would be a pain in the ass to setup etc... not what I'm looking for on my 5 min breaks at work.

Does anyone know of a small monitor (probably 5" or 12ish cm wide max) and hopefully not too thick that should work with a rasberry pi? I'm looking to make a little box that will have the monitor, mouse (well the mouse goes inside the box not in use), and small keyboard (same as mouse probably). I also would hopefully like to try and include solar, but otherwise I'm trying to run it off of batteries.

Anything that has a standard composite or HDMI input will work. I know that several folks are looking at those reversing-monitors that are meant for cars, for such requirements - those seem to be all over the place.

oh so i'll just buy a $ 20,000 car for my $35 linux computer

/sarcasm

That could work for some applications but probably not for me, i am still looking for a monitor that fits my needs.

I don't believe there will be any preorders, just orders when the units are ready. I expect they'll sell their first batch quickly before they start more mass production.

Thanks for the protip, guys. I'm not sure why I hadn't already, but I'm now signed up to the mailing list.

It looks like I'll have to pick up a new-style Retrode and some casing hacking skills, too, because a Raspberry Pi + Retrode combination emulation console is too goddamn tempting not to attempt.

It looks like I'll have to pick up a new-style Retrode and some casing hacking skills, too, because a Raspberry Pi + Retrode combination emulation console is too goddamn tempting not to attempt.
For many emulators, I'd imagine that compiling code already tailored to pre-existing ARM-based handhelds (wherever could I have seen those...? :p ) would be a good place to start.

For example, my understanding is that the current Snes9x versions don't work properly on ARM, so you'd have to do so for at least that, anyway, and why not go the whole hog, at that point? You'd no doubt get better-optimised emulators that way.

I'd say I'd write about it, but I'm not going to be buying one from the first batch, so no doubt I'll be beaten to it. :p

Back