Raspberry Pi - 25 Dollar PC on a USB stick

after reading a bit, and watching some videos, I'm still not sure if hdmi has audio output, and I'm only 75% sure that the 1080p is with h264. I'm suddenly in the market for such a device, and really the only thing I really need is 1080p with hdmi that's got video and audio output. So I'm trying to decide between the pi and the pandaboard(beagleboard doesn't look appealing to me)as the extra power and WLAN would be very beneficial. And speaking of all these homemade cases, is there a chance that you(Prometheus) would be selling some custom pi or pandaboard cases, I reckon I would be very interested, or at least know the process you have making one. I don't have a 3d printer though

after reading a bit, and watching some videos, I'm still not sure if hdmi has audio output, and I'm only 75% sure that the 1080p is with h264. I'm suddenly in the market for such a device, and really the only thing I really need is 1080p with hdmi that's got video and audio output.
HDMI has audio output. Moreover, there are threads on the Raspberry Pi forum where the folks behind it confirm this. :)

And speaking of all these homemade cases, is there a chance that you(Prometheus) would be selling some custom pi or pandaboard cases, I reckon I would be very interested, or at least know the process you have making one. I don't have a 3d printer though
I wasn't planning on selling anything. :lol:

My process is just waiting for official RPi casings to be available, which I'll then be installing in a novelty housing. :p (What that is depends on whether the current merchandising licensee for the Mega Man and Mega Man X series, GE Animation, makes plushies or not, as they tend to do with every license they pick up... That being so, I'll buy a second Mega Man and adapt it. If not, I'll come up with something from scratch, or repurpose something else.)

Short of that, you could just use a plastic project-box from some sort of hobbyist electronics retailer or the like. I know that a chap called "swirlingbrain" has designed the top and bottom halves of a Raspberry Pi case on Shapeways, though.

If you wanted to take some other route (like screwing it into a wooden casing, for example), you'd need this RPi mount designed by "ken6g72" (also on Shapeways), and some PCB feet, as the first run of 10,000 boards won't have mounting holes on the PCB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the double-post, but this is worth pointing out... :p

From 10pm GMT tonight, they'll be auctioning off two of ten beta Raspberry Pi boards per day for the next five days, in order to raise funds for the Raspberry Pi Foundation (that's the charity behind the whole thing). They'll be counting down from number 10 to number 1, and each auction will run for seven days.

If you're at all interested in getting a low serial numbered RPi (and giving the foundation a boost at the same time), then this is how to go about it. :p

^ It speaks volumes for how much people support the aims of the project, methinks.

It hasn't even been listed for an entire hour yet!

I think it's saying to me loud and clear, that ED should make some special edition Pandora's Silver, Red, Blue, Gold etc just before the Germany Launch and auction them off.

What does everyone think?

I think it's saying to me loud and clear, that ED should make some special edition Pandora's Silver, Red, Blue, Gold etc just before the Germany Launch and auction them off.

What does everyone think?

I think a Pandora made explicitly to be sold at special edition prices is going to be one more Pandora that should have gone to a long standing preorder. Auctioning off a limited run of prototype/dev/beta/whatever units before the full production run is ready is a neat novelty, and making a special edition after you already have full production capacity going is neat too (and for something of this size can be a good fund raising exercise) but what you suggest would just generate bad PR.

@Exophase

Im not suggesting anything your not. Have we got our wires crossed.

Im suggesting that ED make about 10 Different colored Pandora's to be auctioned to kick off / launch the German run of Pandora's . I dont see how this would garner negative publicity nor would 10 Pandora's really affect those waiting as the German run should quickly clear that up (hopefully, fingers crossed)/

It would be a great way to kick off the German run and get some good publicity in my opinion (but not what it's about).

Well, there were 13 prototype run boards, all of which came out perfectly from what I recall reading in the news. Interesting number, don't you think? :)

(ED may already have plans for these, it's an interesting line of thinking regardless.)

I think most people on this form are smart enough to get their kids their own computers, but many parents know only how to use facebook and save pictures to their HD and don't think learning computers skills are important enough to let their kids play around on the home PC or get a second PC for their kids.
I'm a kid (not even a teen yet ^_^ ) and I'm posting this on my MacBook that I payed for. Other kids should be able to do chores or yard work to earn money to buy a Mac/other computer. Some parents won't let the kids use their money on the things they want, even if they save the rest and have a bunch of money saved in the bark, which I find kind of odd.

(ED may already have plans for these, it's an interesting line of thinking regardless.)
If I recall correctly, one of them is intended for a prize in a coding competition.

Auctioning off Prototypes is usually a pretty good idea: there's not a whole lot else you can do with them. Due to the not-quite-production nature of them, shipping them as final product can be a bit of a risk, so best to make them separate entities methinks.

<p>So much for affordable computers for education! They certainly deserve some money though!</p>

That's amazing, and well-deserved. Hopefully the funds raised from these auctions will help the Foundation out a great deal!

Number 10 went for £1900, incidentally. I actually expected it to go for more due to it being the very first board sold. I guess that the serial number order won out!

I really hope that my ailing ThinkPad lasts out until the pre-cased RPi release closer to the summer, else I'll have to get my hands dirty and figure out a way to case an earlier-run RPi, which will be lacking mounting holes on the PCB... Sugru's non-conductive, though, so I could probably figure some sort of bracket to slot a board into using that. :p

im seeing more and more omap devices supporting angstrom out of the box. why is that? was pandora the first? this must be a good thing for all involved

Angstrom gives a good starting gate for a small, light, relatively friendly Linux distro ..

£3500 and still 2 days to go on board #1

and that HDMI dongle looks pretty darn good... saw on dingunity where a guy was wanting to make a raspi board plug-n-play handheld

due to the size and price of this I'd think this would make a good canidate for something similar however android based.

was thinking about FXI's cotton candy prototype but the only thing I read on priceing was > $200 which looks to be double that of the AI dongle but with similar specs

http://www.fxitech.com/products/

with all these ... well ... systems on a chips comming out ;) as opposed to pandoras SoC .... heh... but anyway, them comming to fruitition maybe OP can corner this market... they already have a bad ass handheld design with comfortable controls... only complaint would be the specs when compared to what else is out there

sell a pandora without the SoC... turn the screen + keyboard + controlls into basically a "deluxe" header or break out board for these systems on a chip

... I'd buy one.

Back