Release Raptor: Call of the Shadows

Farox

Certified Guru
Website
rbnet.it
Hi , just released Raptor: Call of the Shadows a vertically scrolling shooter developed by Cygnus Studios (now Mountain King Studios)
and published by Apogee Software in 1994 for DOS.

Download here the game for Pandora

shot02.png
shot04.png

This release is coming from the old (around 2000) Linux version that was developed using SDL1.1.
Thanks to @gbudny that have contacted the original developer Scott Host, and convinced him to send the old linux sources (that is not open), to me to try to release
the game on Pandora and Pyra. Later on i contacted Scott on Discord and after a quick chat he allowed me to release the full game datas for Pandora and Pyra ONLY.

PLEASE: DO NOT DISTRIBUTE THE ORIGINAL GAME DATAS WITHOUT PERMISSION.

He is also working on a modernized version of the game called Raptor Remixed.
Check at https://www.mking.com/RaptorRemixed.html

The game use a fixed resolution of 320x200 and on Pandora is running thanks to the SDL1.2 by Notaz, that have fullscreen scaling in hardware (that is really fast and usefull....hope that option exist also on Pyra one day...), i have only changed the buttons (let me know if you don't like it ) and disabled the mouse cursor during Intro and during game, but not on Menu that could be used.

V2 release of PND: rebuild the game with -O3

Controls:
DPAD : movements
B : fire
X : fire special weapon
Y : MegaBomb
A : change special weapons

p : pause on/off
Esc : exit

d : press in menu to show demo mode
F1 : Help screen

Enjoy!

Last edited:
On Rebirth, even overclocked misses some frames, but it's difficult to notice, so it's absolutely playable.
I never remember how small were the games in the past ... just looking at the graphics I was thinking like at least 150MB ... then I remembered I had it on some floppies...

Maybe you should disable the "Redistribute" flag on repo.
I always considered this option for redistribute the entire PND package, that i think is fine. Only the datas inside are not for distribute.

Thank you!

You did a great job by releasing Raptor: Call of The Shadows for Pyra and OpenPnadora.
Getting permission from Scott to release this game with data files for these handheld devices was a big surprise.

I also want to thank you, Scott Host.
It couldn't have happened without his permission to release Raptor for Pyra and OpenPandora.

It's so cool that users can now play Raptor on Pyra and OpenPandora.

Last edited:
Sorry to report, the updated version doesn't boot at all :(
======================================================================================= PND : /media/WALLPAPER/pandora/menu/Raptor_orig_v2.pnd PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs APPDATADIR : /media/WALLPAPER/pandora/appdata/raptor_full APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat PND_CPUSPEED : <unset> EXENAME : run.sh ARGUMENTS : <unset> ======================================================================================= [ START ]--- Mount the PND ---------- Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop2" "/mnt/utmp/raptor_full" Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/WALLPAPER/pandora/appdata/raptor_full=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/raptor_full=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/raptor_full" [SUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ---------- [ START ]--- Starting the application ( run.sh ) ---------- ./run.sh: line 19: ./raptor: Permission denied [ FAILED]--- Starting the application ( run.sh ) ---------- [ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ---------- [SUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ---------- [ START ]--- uMount the PND ---------- [ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ---------- [SUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ---------- rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/raptor_full': Device or resource busy [ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ---------- [SUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ---------- cleanup done [SUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ---------- ======================================================================================= Return code is : 2
Pnd Version 1 runs fine like before though ;)

It's surely better than before, now at 600 Mhz seems working like with the previous 1 Ghz overclock.

I still feel something strange... I have the impression it is missing some frames, but I am unable to see any difference between default clock speed and 1 Ghz overclock, so this seems unrelated to cpu power now...
Could it be the ghosting of the Pandora display ? I was used to play it on the PC, so maybe it's just a mental comparison that makes me feel the difference...

Anyway, good job, thank you ! :cool: It's great to have this game on the device !!

Back