Ram Poll.

The more I think about it the more I realize that the SWAP partition (presuming the NAND is large enough) should be adequate. It is afterall not spinning disc based!

The more I think about it the more I realize that the SWAP partition (presuming the NAND is large enough) should be adequate. It is afterall not spinning disc based!

It is another reason why NAND speed is more important than NAND volume/quantity/size assuming the eMMC is 8 GB and up.  My preference is for the fastest 16GB eMMC that the project can acquire without breaking the bank on the part.

A single 32 bit Java process will not use more than 2GB

The 2 GiB limit only applies for the Windows client VM, the server VM can use more than that (Linux version runs in server mode by default, but Linux generally does not have that 2 GiB per process limit). However, it seems that there's more going on in the background that may cause such a crash. I tried running a totally overmodded Minecraft version on x86 Linux myself some time ago and watched the process with JConsole, it kind of looked like the VM actually ran out of virtual address space or something, it was juggling with virtual memory amounts that were by far larger than the amount of RAM it was taking up.

I still don't understand why there is no 3GB option in the poll.    It's my preference, and looking at the poll results so far, it looks like it's exactly between the majority picked options. ie 2GB-4GB

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmm...  I know that 3GB is an LPDDR size option utilized by Samsung.  I'm not sure, however, if that total can even be reached using commodity DDR3...?

Thats ok, we kill you last.

Out of three people.

But, and I feel there should be a second but here, dividing memory equally between controllers is more ideal. Also it means sourcing the same component multiple times, which is less complex.

but it's the sum of two powers of two.

So is every positive real number. :troll:

Many positive integers are sums of two non-negative integer powers of two, too, including 3, 5 and 1028 and 257 (1028/4). That does not make them sensible.

but it's the sum of two powers of two.

So is every positive real number. :troll:

Many positive integers are sums of two non-negative integer powers of two, too, including 3, 5 and 1028 and 257 (1028/4). That does not make them sensible.
oh fine, the sum of two integer powers of two.  (if you restrict the powers to integers, you can find some positive integers which are not the sum of two integer powers of two.  like 21.)

but since you're still not impressed, you'll notice that 3GB ram is even better than the sum of two integer powers of two, it's the sum of two consecutive integer powers of two.  take that, mathematics~!

[edit]also, a sensible reason for 3GB is that it's midway between the two most popular answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back