Ram Poll.

DrHAX

T̶h̶e̶ ̶A̶u̶t̶h̶o̶r̶ The Artist
:D  Since we all like polls right? And since I've seen massive debates raging on in the actual specs thread... lets just move that over to here. So vote, rage at each other, and bicker about ram!

Last edited by a moderator:
Erm  you've made the 3rd question mandatory but it only applies in certain situations,  you need to make it optional or add an "I didn't answer yes" option.

-Neelix

If there are multiple sizes to choose from, why not 1GB? Better standby battery life, cheaper, and still twice as much RAM as the best Pandora.

I don't really see the use of huge amounts of RAM. Is anyone planning to do a lot of multitasking and/or big number crunching tasks on the Pyra? Video editing or something like that?

Erm  you've made the 3rd question mandatory but it only applies in certain situations,  you need to make it optional or add an "I didn't answer yes" option.

-Neelix

I'll add an  I didn't answer yes option since making it optional... isn't an option?

I would like to be able to do anything on the Pyra without the need for a larger computer... In saying that, I'm unlikely to do much video editing.... though I would like to be able to run a couple of vms, and certainly there will be times I have to do batch editing on multiple large images.... I like to load them all at once for convenience sake.

Idealy I would like to have a game running, a browser window open with 6 or 7 tabs, an irc client, an image editor, some mp3s playing, a word processor, and maybe something else... maybe a youtube downloader, or I might have some other project I'm working on. An android vm.. etc...

I would like to be able to suspend it all to ram

I think more GB are better because you can upload the entire OS to a Ramdisk and execute

The PyraOS from Ram for a much faster responsing Time :)

It will Help with the Next Stage of Qemu and other Applications too.

Firefox need on a Desktop PC alone 1 GB Ram and watch HTML5 Videos will eat much ram in Backround too.

Shure we can Swap,but no Swap reach the Ram Speed :)

Virtual Machines can be an option, too.

This is the main point that was brought up to me which makes sense.. If you're running a VM or two and want to use the internet to look up stuff your ram can be sucked up.

I liked the other poll better: a single choice "how much do you want" contains more information than a multiple choice "what sizes should there be".
I want 4GB. I think it should only have 2GB and no choices, at least for the first months to a year while ED gets his finances back together. Other people will have other reasons for selecting what they do and there's no way to measure that.

Interesting ideas here.  I never thought about suspend to RAM.  I never looked into exactly what is going on when doing it because I thought most of what was actively running was already in RAM (so unless it is going to swap, which might mean you may have issues suspending to RAM anyway, would it be a problem?).  Now I wonder about issues I saw with someone's computer that had limited RAM and probably no swap.  There are other things related to swap I have questions about now (if you have a lot of RAM, say 8GB or more, but use barely any of it, from a practical view, how large should swap be?  Is 4GB "enough", or should you match, or maybe double what you have for RAM?  My understanding for the "double what you have for RAM" rule was that this was based on having less RAM, such as 2GB or less...but I may be misremembering, and it could have been nonsense to start with.  If there is 8GB RAM and only a small fraction of that is usually in use, what would be a safe size for swap if you plan to hibernate/suspend to disk, or am I completely off here, and the 2 have nothing to with each other...I should go look into this stuff).

I suspect I feel a bit like WizardStan.  What I want is not what I think there should be.  If there were unlimited options I can see the benefit of having something with lower specs to extend battery life and cut costs a little more.  I don't know if it would actually make it cheaper in the end.  Anyway, for those that want maximum battery life 1GB might help some.  Then at the other end of the spectrum you have those that might benefit from  more RAM from time to time (or all the time, depending on what they do with the Pyra).  Some things should be tried so we can find out.

Even though we know that 2GB is what we will probably get, I would like to see those that get prototypes try some of the stuff mentioned here, and share the results (including battery life, as that seems to be a hot topic in relation to RAM).  I know that early on there will be other things to clean up and fix, but it still might be interesting.  Some of the above can probably be tested on devboards, like (most of) what FaeMinx wants, and maybe what ingoreis suggested.  By testing what FaeMinx plans to do on a devboard we could see exactly how much RAM is in use.

I thought I voted and didn't like the options, but maybe that was a different poll, or the choices changed.
Edit:  At launch I think there should only be one option (not a choice, no need to change poll, as we can just discuss it) to keep things simple, unless it wouldn't be a problem to have more.  Some people may feel this is unfair, but you are getting your Pyra before others.  A problem I see is that some may wait to buy if they think there will be other options in the future, and that could impact early sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I would need at least 4gb of ram for some of what I want to do on the Pyra but don't feel that it's needed at launch. Options for extra ram something I'd like to see later. 

I know I would need at least 4gb of ram for some of what I want to do on the Pyra but don't feel that it's needed at launch. Options for extra ram something I'd like to see later. 
Well I have no doubt that if we *only* get 2gb this time, the next soc board upgrade will have 4gb... but with a new cpu as well.

Of course I'm going to go for this, but it will be some years down the line.

The question is... can you live with 2gb untill then?

P.s. I somewhat doubt there will be different versions of the current cpu board... apart from the 4g vs wifi only ones.

I can easily live with 2gig of ram. I only have a cc Pandora and that has 256 MB and it's amazing what the old girl can do, especially with swap files. More ram is always good but 2gig will go a long way. As FaeMinx says, the next SOC board will have more.

I was kind of hoping for the full 64 kilobytes, but it looks like with the new screen we'll be back down to 48kb (not including stack and workspace). Sigh. It's turing out to be 1982 all over again :(

D.

Specs page has been updated showing that ram size is now set at 2GB. I can live without the 1 RAM hungry program I was hoping to run (witch I could run with 3GB but was not an option). I know I'm outside the norm as I'd actually have liked a 5.8" screen and DSxl size (I know it would be/is thicker than a DSxl/DS) but I also have special pockets on my shorts for carrying my 9" nook HD+.

I liked the other poll better: a single choice "how much do you want" contains more information than a multiple choice "what sizes should there be".
I want 4GB. I think it should only have 2GB and no choices, at least for the first months to a year while ED gets his finances back together. Other people will have other reasons for selecting what they do and there's no way to measure that.

I'm curious.  You're normally a relatively rational individual.  You know as well as anyone the difference in ram consumption between Linux on ARM and Windows on X86.  Why do YOU want 4GB?

I did the math and I should be able to have the full Debian OS, LibreOffice, FireFox or Chrome, a game or three and if it becomes possible, TWO Android VMs all running simultaneously inside of 2GB.

What is the need that you see for 4GB?  Am I missing something crucial in my 2GB assumptions?

What is the need that you see for 4GB?  Am I missing something crucial in my 2GB assumptions?

No need, pure want.  I want 4GB for future growth, to be able to open 40+ browser tabs all at once, to be able to compile a large project, to load as much into RAM at startup as possible to keep things fast, give more RAM to the Android VM so it can keep more things active at once.
Nothing there is a need, everything beyond 2GB (and even that's probably more than what I'd actually need) is strictly wishlist, pie-in-the-sky because we can.

Back