Rainy Day - Game Project

- I have added "Containers" (Crates, Barrels, Pots,...) that you can break by hitting them with your umbrella.

containers.png

I take it containers have goodies inside? I did have an idea that some containers had little grey baddies inside, which would sap any colour you currently had?

Just an idea...

Ofcourse their will be goodies (tokens) inside :D And if you are unlucky a monster :p But don't want them to steal your colour...

Just a quick message to tell you guys we are not dead :p (As I said in a previous) I am currently working on some stuff for school :) If you really want to see some progress/something new I can always make a video of the destructible containers even though it's not really that special or interesting...

These Pixel Art are phantastic, I wish I had your Talent, so I don't have to built all my Sprites in 3D first and then convert it to 2D. :lol:

These Pixel Art are phantastic, I wish I had your Talent, so I don't have to built all my Sprites in 3D first and then convert it to 2D. :lol:

Graphical Style: Hand-painted (!)

It's not pixel art. I know it seems kind of mundane, but I used to be quite an active pixel artist and I love pixel art. If you browse the pixel art section of DeviantArt for example, very few are actually pixel art because I don't think people understand what it means :(

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not pixel art. I know it seems kind of mundane, but I used to be quite an active pixel artist and I love pixel art. If you browse the pixel art section of DeviantArt for example, very few are actually pixel art because I don't think people understand what it means :(
To make hand painted stuff looking that good, you have to adjust everything at the Pixel Level. ;) First you draw it, then you optimize it pixel-for Pixel so the angle are correct 'n stuff. I'm sure they did this for Rainy Day. So you actualy can call that Pixel Art, even if the base of the Pix are hand drawn. :)

First you draw it, then you optimize it pixel-for Pixel so the angle are correct 'n stuff. I'm sure they did this for Rainy Day. So you actualy can call that Pixel Art, even if the base of the Pix are hand drawn. :)

I don't think there's a lot of pixel by pixel work on the art although I could be wrong... Going to ask Archibald how he does it :)

So you actualy can call that Pixel Art, even if the base of the Pix are hand drawn. :)
I disagree, that's just retouching on a fine level. The main medium is still physical. But I'm not going to derail the thread any more.

Loved the demo, looking forward to the next release :)

Actually the way I did the graphics, is by painting them several sizes bigger (in Photoshop), scaled them down to the sprite size, and then removed the "fuzzy" aliased edge in a pixel-painting program (Graphics Gale). Generally I do a slight smart sharpen on the sprites after resizing them, so they appear crisper. So apart from some cleaning up, they are no pixel art at all. :)

(Work for) school is finished! finally I will be able to working on Rainy Day again :D Archibald has been doing some more graphics, all 3 basic monsters are (more or less) done (graphically):

BasicMonsters.png

More new stuff coming soon :)

We are not dead! :D

Haven't been working on Rainy Day for a while as I've just graduated and busy looking for a job. But Archibald did some more graphics, he made the coloursteal/shoot animation so that will be implemented soon :) Destructible containers also work but are causing a bit of slow down when you collide with them, have to do some tweaking in the collision code :)

I'm also adding some rain splashes (when raindrop hits ground) to the rain effect, totally unnecessary but looks nice :p Hope to show you all this soon in a next video!

Remind me to hire you when I start my own business someday. Stay healthy for the next ten years.

We are not dead! :D

Haven't been working on Rainy Day for a while as I've just graduated and busy looking for a job.
Glad to hear the project is still alive and kicking. Looking forward to the video.

Congratulations on graduating and best of luck for the job hunt.

Back