Question About Returning

I can't believe how much some people complain :rolleyes:

I think I'd complain too if I couldn't use my unit longer than 30 minutes...Especially if other people with the same batteries could use theirs for 4-5 hours :rolleyes:
As others have said, try to replace the batteries or borrow from someone. If it doesn't get better I'd return the unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im guna try see how long I get just playing games, NO video.

Huzzah! Ive just been playing SNES emulator for about 30mins and the batterys are still on full meaning its the movie player that saps the life out of them so fast.

Well at least I can play SNES and C64 for longer now, im happier but still abit annoyed about the movie playback sapping but that can be fixed with a firmware or patch.

you know .. if you'd been reading this forum in anticipation of your gpx2, you might've learned that the reason for the abysmal battery life is because the unit runs with full TV output, all the time .. and that this can be controlled in software, isn't yet, and will be (most likely/hopefully) fixed in a firmware release to hit the net once the 'pre-order shipping dilemna' dust has settled ..

so, just be patient .. in a month you may be seriously regretting selling/slagging off your gpx2 so fast, especially with the plethora of games and general developer groundswell we're seeing ..

to sum the rest of this conversation up (and the rest of all other 'bug issue' threads that are coming out)

-RandomR "yeah, this sucks. (issue x) is really bad, but battery life, blah blah blah. i'm selling my unit. i mean, you have to screw the stick in. what's up with that?"

-RandomX "you don't understand what a homebrew emulation handheld is. it takes time, fledgeling company, etc, etc. it will all be fixed via firmware upgrade."

while anonymous twenty users labeled "RandomR" definitely don't understand what they're in for, obviously, when they pre-order a homebrew-centered device from a company that hasn't produced anything before, users labeled "RandomX" really can't say more than, 'it will be fixed via firmware upgrade', because that's all they know.

funny, as i was just about to fall into the "RandomX" user category...

:)

I don't understand the logic really. Maybe someone who isn't fixated on his GP2x can explain.

There are posts saying the stereo sound for this "media player" is mono, as well as switched channels on headphones.

Reply?

"Turn your headphones around"
"It's a handheld it's not supposed to have great sound".

Topics about the battery life, basically sucking.

Reply?

"Use different batteries"
"wait for a firmware fix"

The joystick has a large deadzone, which effects certian games

Reply?

"Get used to it"
"unscrew/screw the joystick"
"Someone will make a mod"

Lines on the screen, faded colours etc.

Reply?

"wait for a firmware patch"

Every time someone has a problem with their GP2x (and yes, launch machines always end up with bugs, but it seems like they slapped it together using monkeys, and untrained ones at that), it's a case of, either wait for a fix, or stop the whine, because you are obviously not elite enough to own this handheld, and don't understand that it's "homebrew".

Yeah so it's a homebrew machine, but i assumed homebrew refered to the software, not that you have to do surgery on the machine before it can be regarded as usable.

*dons flameproof armour*

-RandomX "you don't understand what a homebrew emulation handheld is. it takes time, fledgeling company, etc, etc. it will all be fixed via firmware upgrade."

:lol: lol

basically, all i'm saying is, you're in, and you have to wait for the fixes like everyone else, or you're impatient, and you're out. you sell, or cancel. no point in complaining till the world ends if you're going to sell. everything's been said once before, and will be said a million times over again.

i'm also mentioning how funny it is that at every bump in the road, people think the world's over. and somehow, all of the recent bug threads go back to battery life, interestingly enough :lol:.

and how generic people's responses are to "RandomR's" problems... but i can't blame them... its all they know.

can't we all just put 2+2 together?

there's a problem? GPH or users will fix it in the future.

problem options: 1)wait for a solution, or 2)sell.

simple.

I don't understand the logic really. Maybe someone who isn't fixated on his GP2x can explain.

There are posts saying the stereo sound for this "media player" is mono, as well as switched channels on headphones.

Reply?

"Turn your headphones around"
"It's a handheld it's not supposed to have great sound".

Topics about the battery life, basically sucking.

Reply?

"Use different batteries"
"wait for a firmware fix"

The joystick has a large deadzone, which effects certian games

Reply?

"Get used to it"
"unscrew/screw the joystick"
"Someone will make a mod"

Lines on the screen, faded colours etc.

Reply?

"wait for a firmware patch"

Every time someone has a problem with their GP2x (and yes, launch machines always end up with bugs, but it seems like they slapped it together using monkeys, and untrained ones at that), it's a case of, either wait for a fix, or stop the whine, because you are obviously not elite enough to own this handheld, and don't understand that it's "homebrew".

Yeah so it's a homebrew machine, but i assumed homebrew refered to the software, not that you have to do surgery on the machine before it can be regarded as usable.

*dons flameproof armour*

Hmm... well I've not had much time to play about with mine due to coursework being due on Friday (horrid evil nasty WinAPI crap.. *shudders*), but..

I had 800mAh rechargeables lying around.. they die after bout an hour or so.
The batteries that came with it died in about half an hour (though amusingly, are in my GP32 and are still powering it... o_0)
My new 2600mAh are still going strong after about 3 hours so far

I think that it's not that it's high-drain, it seems to need a whack of power to turn on, hence why batteries seem to die so quick... and why my GP32 is running, and has been for a while now, on the ones that the GP2X apparantly ate in half an hour 0_o

Firmware will ofcourse, fix this.. welcome to the waiting game.. the other alternative (which is what I'll be doing soon) is getting an ac adapter and using that while you wait. No need to worry about batteries then :)

I've not had any sound problems, and got it playing some MP3s quite happily, but I'd assume that if the thing's coming out as mono, the player could be upgraded to fix this. I would assume.

Joystick-wise, I did have to unscrew mine slightly.. in the menus it's uber-responsive :D but in the few games I've played (the small puzzle games, Shanghai, BubbleX and LinesX), it becomes insanely unresponsive.. this could be SDL's fault really.. not reading the joystick right.. again we'll need to wait and see.

The main problem is this is JUST released, and I'd assume GPH wouldn't have a massive area for testing everything, especially when programs are just being released now.. you can't bugfix when there's nothing out yet ;)

I'm sure things'll pick up soon though :) Yes it's frustrating to be told "wait for firmware upgrades", but nearly all problems ARE just software, and that's all we can do.. sit and wait till the bugs get patched and distributed around.

Take Care,
-=STUCKIE=-

Back