Quake Ii Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess we should have a naming scheme for gp2x software.

Quake2x = Quake I
2xQuake II = Quake II
I am confused.

Besides that: woogal - you rock!

Arg. seems like a) i got it wrong or B) the article about quake 1 stated the wrong name.

I guess I'll be going to change the name from gxSpout to 2xSpout...
Hmm... although personally I prefer gx instead of having a number (ie: ~capital letter) prefix.

2xQuake I
2xQuake II

gxQuake I
gxQuake II
gxSpout
gxSNES
gxBananarama

Whatever - on my gp2x everything will be named Quake, Quake II, Spout anyway.

And besides that - you still rock, woogal.

All my penises are cumming.

Playable would give the the GP2x some nice graphics appeal.

At least we could say it's faster than the DS (It'd be a lie but we could say it).

At least we could say it's faster than the DS (It'd be a lie but we could say it).

No it wouldn't. Technically, the GP2X does have a faster processor than the DS. However, the DS has some additional hardware that makes it better suited for 3D than the GP2X. How that all works out in the end is dependent on the application and the programmer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice !

ahh i love those games, my childhood coming back ! portable !
don't care much about those framerates, as long as it is playable, i can live with it...

No it wouldn't. Technically, the GP2X does have a faster processor than the DS. However, the DS has some additional hardware that makes it better suited for 3D than the GP2X. How that all works out in the end is dependent on the application and the programmer.

Actually, I've thus far been unable to produce any tech sheet that shows the DS to have anything more than 2 ARM processors, one at 33MHz and one at 66MHz. Whilst I originally assumed that it must have had something more, it appears not to - which implies a GP32 is actually potentially capable of DS-style games, were it to have had the financial thwack behind it that Nintendo provides.

And that's the GP32, not the 2x.

That said, I'm pretty sure it MUST have something else - I just haven't been able to find it on any tech sheet anywhere. Anyone able to show me one which does display additional hardware, please do. Otherwise, just remember that its got a very very efficient library.

That said, I'm pretty sure it MUST have something else - I just haven't been able to find it on any tech sheet anywhere. Anyone able to show me one which does display additional hardware, please do. Otherwise, just remember that its got a very very efficient library.
3D hardware maybe?

That's my point... 3D hardware ought to be listed under technical specifications. But it isn't. There's just 2 ARM processors and sod all else.

Nintendo lists an OpenGL Graphics library on their site, but notably nothing else. And a library is not hardware.

according to my experiments, halving the size of textures speeds up a lot. redistributing the modified original game would be a problem tho.
You shouldn't need to redistribute the entire game. Just supply a PAK with the replacement textures. If I recall correctly, the Quake Engine games use the stuff in the higher numbered PAK files in favour of lower numbered PAK files, using the lower numbered only when it can't find the file it wants in the current PAK.

It might be an idea to have a program that would build a GP2X specific PAK file from an existing Quake 2 install though, if only for reasons of space.

according to my experiments, halving the size of textures speeds up a lot. redistributing the modified original game would be a problem tho.
You shouldn't need to redistribute the entire game. Just supply a PAK with the replacement textures. If I recall correctly, the Quake Engine games use the stuff in the higher numbered PAK files in favour of lower numbered PAK files, using the lower numbered only when it can't find the file it wants in the current PAK.

It might be an idea to have a program that would build a GP2X specific PAK file from an existing Quake 2 install though, if only for reasons of space.

Or on the other hand, you could create a function inside the quake 2 souce that automatically reduces the texture sizes by a ratio of x, as they are loaded into mem. (you can later use GP2X hardware to resize quickly)

But remember that some textures wrap around models, so you would have to do some simple matrix maths.

If it was as simple of resizing he textures in the PAK, people would have already done it for their PDAs or mobile phones.

It would also make the whole thing legal. The textures are the property of iD, so resampling and redistributing them would be redistribution of copyrighted material. A program that takes the files you already own and munges them should be legit though.

It would also make the whole thing legal. The textures are the property of iD, so resampling and redistributing them would be redistribution of copyrighted material. A program that takes the files you already own and munges them should be legit though.
While this is true, I *doubt* very much that ID would be too down on a PAK file distribution which contains quality reduced versions of the original textures (who'd want to play with them unless they had to?), especially if that distribution had the possibility of squeezing a few more sales out of the now venerable Quake 1. (Recall the number of mods in Quake's heyday which reused copywrited Quake 1 material).

I mean, it's not like a PAK file containing low resolution textures is going to be much use to anyone except Quake 1 players anyway.

As to "this can't be done because people would already have done it", who's to say they haven't?

While this is true, I *doubt* very much that ID would be too down on a PAK file distribution which contains quality reduced versions of the original textures (who'd want to play with them unless they had to?), especially if that distribution had the possibility of squeezing a few more sales out of the now venerable Quake 1. (Recall the number of mods in Quake's heyday which reused copywrited Quake 1 material).

I mean, it's not like a PAK file containing low resolution textures is going to be much use to anyone except Quake 1 players anyway.

As to "this can't be done because people would already have done it", who's to say they haven't?

Just remember that this is software. If you shrink the texture size, it'll just wrap itself more tightly, which will look stupid, especially on models. And if you then scretch the textures so they look normal.

Both of these methods don't the software renderer any work.

Actually, I'd swear I've done it before, though it was probably with the Quake 1 or Half-Life engines. The texture winds up more stretched on the model, and looks pretty crappy, but it should fit just fine so long as the new texture is the same aspect ratio. The major advantage of doing this is that the texture winds up taking up a lot less room in memory, which is one of GP2X Quake2's achillies heels.

with the new sdl library for speed and 2 processors working together and with ext port stuff working someone should get back to work. please :)

Um, we don't take kindly to grave diggin' 'round here pilgrim!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back