Simon2x Released

LINUX2X

Still Fresh
I released a game I've been writing the last couple weeks: Simon2X.

Enjoy!

LINK: http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,1,2450

screenshotsimonhr7.png

Mr 2X said:
Just extract the folder on my SD, but when I press B on Play, the game quits and :gp2x goes back to default menu.

GP2X F100 MK2 - FW: 2.1.2
Sadly I don't have an F100 to play it on, and the only firmware I have is 4.0.0. The game works just fine on my end, and I even downloaded the same version you downloaded, so my guess would be the following:

1) Older version of SDL? It may contain different button values (e.g. GP2X_VK_FB wouldn't exist, or be different.).
2) Corrupted download?

Sorry that isn't much, but there is not much I can do to help your from this end. Newer versions of this game, and my other games will contain system calls to echo error data to an output file.
(i.e. system ("echo 'etc.' >> file.txt");

Let me know if redownloading it help.

LINUX2X said:

NOTE: I understand there is gp2x.de to upload stuff, but I'm getting page errors when trying register. Hopefully within 7 days It'll be fixed.
Make sure you use this link http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi, dont go through gp32x.de

I went there and it works. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
LINUX2X said:
Mr 2X said:
Just extract the folder on my SD, but when I press B on Play, the game quits and :gp2x goes back to default menu.

Sadly I don't have an F100 to play it on, and the only firmware I have is 4.0.0. The game works just fine on my end, and I even downloaded the same version you downloaded, so my guess would be the following:

1) Older version of SDL? It may contain different button values (e.g. GP2X_VK_FB wouldn't exist, or be different.).
2) Corrupted download?

Sorry that isn't much, but there is not much I can do to help your from this end. Newer versions of this game, and my other games will contain system calls to echo error data to an output file.

I've redownloaded but it's the same.
How can I update the SDL ? (Or where can I see the version of it ? :p )

Mr 2X said:
LINUX2X said:
Mr 2X said:

2) Corrupted download?

I've redownloaded but it's the same.
How can I update the SDL ? (Or where can I see the version of it ? :p )

Usually the SDL libs are compiled in statically meaning they are part of the exe. Which means you cant update them unless you have the source. Im not certain its true in this case but most likely it is.

Well just for the heck of it, ive tried to compile your source.
I had to change a couple of things. In the current source you dont have the GP2X keys presses defined, it appears you commented them out in your global.h
I had to change the how main is defined, i think thats a mingw thing, as the devkit didnt care.
I changed the SDL path, this is expected.

There were quite a few warnings.
One thing you may want to fix is if the images are missing. This causes a hard crash.
I figured that out and moved the images folder and I get the menu.
I stopped here as the application doesnt respond to any key presses. I think this may be a problem area, using my mouse makes is crash and presses keys makes it crash. These may be the same problems with the F100

Oh and this.....
//////////////////////
// !!SERIOUS NOTE!! //
//////////////////////

- Don't go looking at the source to study. I got sloppy a while into the game,
and some parts looks as though I dragged an ugly stick around the code.

Your not kiddin, I dont think ive ever seen so many one letter variables, how in God's green earth can you keep track of what is what? :p

Pickle said:
Well just for the heck of it, ive tried to compile your source.
I had to change a couple of things. In the current source you dont have the GP2X keys presses defined, it appears you commented them out in your global.h
I had to change the how main is defined, i think thats a mingw thing, as the devkit didnt care.
I changed the SDL path, this is expected.
O, the reason why I have the following commented out:

CODE
/*GP2X_VK_UP
GP2X_VK_UP_LEFT
GP2X_VK_LEFT
GP2X_VK_DOWN_LEFT
... etc */

Is because in my SDL_joystick.h (included with my install of open2x devel env.), they are already defined. I just had that there as a reminder to me what the keys were.

One thing you may want to fix is if the images are missing. This causes a hard crash.
I figured that out and moved the images folder and I get the menu.
I stopped here as the application doesnt respond to any key presses. I think this may be a problem area, using my mouse makes is crash and presses keys makes it crash. These may be the same problems with the F100

I made hard crashes because I wasn't expecting anyone to change the images. But before it would crash it would send out an error message stating where it was before it crashed. (not something very helpful while in the GP2X, but on the desktop.)

And there were images missing? I'm running the same version downloaded from the archive.gp2x.de link, and the only two things that I could come up with that would make the game not show images would be if you try to run it under windows. In which case (if you fixed input keys and etc.) the image paths would include forward slashes instead of backslashes, and would exclude the drive letter.

Oh and this.....
//////////////////////
// !!SERIOUS NOTE!! //
//////////////////////

- Don't go looking at the source to study. I got sloppy a while into the game,
and some parts looks as though I dragged an ugly stick around the code.

Your not kiddin, I dont think ive ever seen so many one letter variables, how in God's green earth can you keep track of what is what? :p

eheheheh!

I actually can't keep track of variables if they are several characters in length. Things get really cluttered in my opinion, and after a while I get tired of looking at the code and finally tired of programming the program. (I should fix that)
I should make a comment about the following, but, I associated one, two, or three letter characters
with something general.

e.g. 's' would be 'image surfaces', 'a' would be 'active' which helps the program determine if the object is active or inactive and needs to be deleted. Etc.

After a while it has become ingrained in me.

PS. I'ma go uncheck the F100 as one of the supported platforms on Simon2X's download page.

LINUX2X said:
And there were images missing?
No your prebuilt package is fine, my windows build ended up below in the source dir, so all of the images couldnt be seen. I just draged and droped the images folder next to it and it was fine.

I made hard crashes because I wasn't expecting anyone to change the images.

:D :D always have to be prepared for when the user does something you're not expecting. "but they wouldn't..." oh they can and they will, always. fault tolerance!

also, what do you do when you need more than 26 variables? :p

rokdcasbah said:
... what do you do when you need more than 26 variables? :p
Make another one? I give up, what do I do?

Back