Mario In Nifty Lifty

Cheers Snurty! As you say, it's not very likely to win awards but as a first game, it's well made! Although simple, it's entertaining and can keep one well busy for more than a few minutes.

However, I've got two remarks. The first is more of a flaw from Fenix, I guess. When I exit the game and gpmenu2x reloads, the screen becomes a kind of interlaced, the horizontal lines are vibrating. When I exit the menu to the gp2x gui, display is fine. But when I restart gp2xmenu the screen is still interlaced.

The second remark is that when I reach a level's goal, it takes some time before the game reacts on it, as if all elevators must reach a certain position or finish a cycle or something like that. I would expect an immediate reaction from the game.

Keep on going Snurty, I'm sure we'll see more of you!

Squirrel61 said:
However, I've got two remarks. The first is more of a flaw from Fenix, I guess. When I exit the game and gpmenu2x reloads, the screen becomes a kind of interlaced, the horizontal lines are vibrating. When I exit the menu to the gp2x gui, display is fine. But when I restart gp2xmenu the screen is still interlaced.
I saw this effect during development when i tried to force Fenix to increase the CPU clock speed on my F200. Hope that helps diagnose the problem...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its a problem with that version of the runtime. Most games that come with 5a (I think) version of fenix runtime have that trouble at exit. version 4 works fine at exit but not so good for tv out. then theres ultimate fenix.

One game with 5a of fenix that worked fine on exit is blocked by quiest. maybe the other ones that didn't work right overclocked too.

Thanks for the feedback.

The pause at the end of each level is for a sound effect to play - is this playing or does the whole thing just pause?

Regarding the Fenix issue I will drop the overclock in the script on the next release and see if this resolves the problem. Thanks for the pointers I would never have thought that was the problem. Funny though on my 100 mk2 it runs fine with no issues at all.

Thanks Squirrel61 I thought I was going mad. I understand from the forums the F200 is rather loud!!!

I had trouble loading a screen shot on the archive - are there any instructions somewhere???

shot30001wt2.png

Here's a screenshot.

It's a really fun game. You run across the platforms trying to avoid the lifts. You can turn around if you think you'll hit a lift, but you run fast enough that in the later levels you'll probably hit the lift behind you if you do so.

I tried replacing the fenix runtime (6 beta) with the one from Blocked (5a), unfortunately that one just exits immediately and still leaves you with the screen timing problem in gmenu. Then I took the -s245 argument out of the gpe, which fixed the problem. The game runs fine at 200mhz.

Ok - if I have mastered the technology (unlikely) this should be a screenshot.

Still can't work out how to post a screenshot on the archive.

Niftyscreen.gif

Great first game, thanks for sharing Snurty! Little quick-playing games like this are golden for me, I whip them out on smoke breaks.

I watched all the little text fly by on the main screen - seems like your lads have a pretty cool dad. :)

Back