Quake 2

jastolze

Hi, I'm Jastolze. I was wondering if the quake 2 mods (in form of gamearm.so) is just like the linux version of mods (which is also a .so file.)
I haven't tried it yet, but does it need to be compiled for the caanoo, or not? I would REALLY like to know, as I've tried to work it on the psp, but it has a format of .prx, and mods DO have to be compiled for the psp, but since the Caanoo is linux based, does that mean it can run linux mods via Ginge?
Thanks,
Jastolze

i'm pretty sure you need to recompile the mods for the caanoo as caanoo is ARM and most of the mods are likely to be built for x86

crow_riot said:
i'm pretty sure you need to recompile the mods for the caanoo as caanoo is ARM and most of the mods are likely to be built for x86

Thank you for replying. I had a feeling that was the case, but my other question is: Why is their no Quake 3 port, when the psp with 64 mb of ram can run it on a 333/166 cpu, and the caanoo has 128 mb of ram with overclocking all the way to 900 Mhz?
If this is the case, I hope it eventually receives the port... Maybe someone is working on it?

Thanks again
- jastolze

Last edited by a moderator:
Railguy123 said:
crow_riot said:

Thank you for replying. I had a feeling that was the case, but my other question is: Why is their no Quake 3 port, when the psp with 64 mb of ram can run it on a 333/166 cpu, and the caanoo has 128 mb of ram with overclocking all the way to 900 Mhz?
If this is the case, I hope it eventually receives the port... Maybe someone is working on it?

Thanks again
- jastolze

yes in most cases rebuilding the game*.so will allow you to run mod's. For example this works for the official expansion's. BUT the biggest problem is lack of memory so you may find the mod doesnt start or crashes upon starting a game.

I never bothered with quake 3 for wiz/caanoo for a number of reasons. But the main one being the performance and memory requirements. I couldnt get quake2 to run normally. Quake 1 is just playable. Keep in mind even though theres 128 mb only ~32 mb is given to the gpu. Of course given even time someone could get it to run, but I think the performace and quality would be so low it would be pointless.

Pickle said:
Railguy123 said:
crow_riot said:

Thanks again
- jastolze

yes in most cases rebuilding the game*.so will allow you to run mod's. For example this works for the official expansion's. BUT the biggest problem is lack of memory so you may find the mod doesnt start or crashes upon starting a game.

I never bothered with quake 3 for wiz/caanoo for a number of reasons. But the main one being the performance and memory requirements. I couldnt get quake2 to run normally. Quake 1 is just playable. Keep in mind even though theres 128 mb only ~32 mb is given to the gpu. Of course given even time someone could get it to run, but I think the performace and quality would be so low it would be pointless.
The Caanoo surely has the capability to run Quake III, it's just no one has the know-how yet.

I played Quake III years ago, on a Celeron 300MHz, 64MB RAM, and a 16MB VRAM Voodoo3 3000 (in OpenGL too), and it ran at 60fps at 640x480 resolution.

This should surely run on the Caanoo. Only thing I worry about, is if the GPU can handle it, because I see it slowing down on Quake 1, especially when going underwater..

The graphic card of the caanoo can only use 32 MB. Not sure if is for Quake 3.

But I played it on a pentium 2 cpu with 64 MB Ram and a riva tnt with 16 or 32 mb ram. So it should run I think if you optimize it. ID Software (Creators of quake) hired guys just for assembly optimization.

rohezal said:
The graphic card of the caanoo can only use 32 MB. Not sure if is for Quake 3.

But I played it on a pentium 2 cpu with 64 MB Ram and a riva tnt with 16 or 32 mb ram. So it should run I think if you optimize it. ID Software (Creators of quake) hired guys just for assembly optimization.

You can set the minimum texture size, but the quality really drops at 128 for quake1. I never was able to get quake 2 to run with opengl on the caanoo, i dont remember if I messed with the tex size.

eh eh eh, excuse me but if quake 2 run on the wiz why not on the caanoo which has more ram? :p

kayuz said:
eh eh eh, excuse me but if quake 2 run on the wiz why not on the caanoo which has more ram? :p

quake2 with openg-es does not run on either the wiz or caanoo because of low memory. It may run on the caanoo with tweaks/hacks.
quake2 with sw render works on both.

Actually to thing about it, why has nobody compiled Quake 2 for the caanoo already?
I mean, it works perfectly with Ginge, if I remember correctly, how hard could it be?
( Please don't look at me, I'm not actually that good with coding at all, I have barely even started )

I just did a search, and couldn't find the source (I think Pickle said he compiled the ioquake2 source, but I can't locate it...)

CloverGruff said:
Actually to thing about it, why has nobody compiled Quake 2 for the caanoo already?
I mean, it works perfectly with Ginge, if I remember correctly, how hard could it be?
( Please don't look at me, I'm not actually that good with coding at all, I have barely even started )

stpat said:
I just did a search, and couldn't find the source (I think Pickle said he compiled the ioquake2 source, but I can't locate it...)

CloverGruff said:

im pretty sure i built both sw render and gl render plugins, for me the opengl render was the most interesting, but it never worked so nothing was released.

do you think it because the the open gl es is not supporting it properly or that 32 MB ram is not enough? Oh i think i understand. A pc can use more then the video ram on its graphic card by getting the stuff from the main ram. The caanoo can just access 32 MB of main ram right=

rohezal said:
do you think it because the the open gl es is not supporting it properly or that 32 MB ram is not enough? Oh i think i understand. A pc can use more then the video ram on its graphic card by getting the stuff from the main ram. The caanoo can just access 32 MB of main ram right=

think its starting to come back to me....I used the same code base for both the pandora and caanoo/wiz. I believe when I ran the caanoo version there was a segfault or crash within the opengl driver itself. I had tried to get GPH involved in the debug, but i never heard anything. The same code worked fine on the pandora.

so its the driver... do you debuged it so far, that you know what function crashed it?

Back