Caanoo Ram? Just How Much Is Available?

jastolze

Hi. As the topic asks, How much ram is available for use in Homebrew? I wanted to play Quake 3, but on my PSP Brite it only runs about 18-24 fps. Since this can be overclocked to 900 MhZ, why can't it be ported? My PSP has 333 MHZ, and I've gotten all the way up to 45 fps, on smaller maps. So, is it possible? Or is it stuck with like 32MB of ram? (I've been told it has 128MB and also 32MB of ram.) How hard would it be to port Q3 over anyways? Thanks for your help

- Jastolze

80 MB for use i have allready try more on quake but if i use over 80 it will crash

I remember having a Celeron with 64MB of RAM that played Quake 3 at 60FPS.

That was when we had a Voodoo3 3000. I miss those days.

lnx64 said:
I remember having a Celeron with 64MB of RAM that played Quake 3 at 60FPS.

That was when we had a Voodoo3 3000. I miss those days.
So, why can't this be done on the caanoo? Or can it? Because it has enough ram and will run pretty decent, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Railguy123 said:
Because it has enough ram and will run pretty decent, right?
Having enough ram is just a part of the equation. You also need to access that ram fast enough.
Then goes the CPU :
- The celeron contain a good fpu (Float Process Unit, float are used to represent real numbers), which quake 3 probably abuse, but sadly the caanoo dont have such fpu.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megahertz_myth
And finally the GPU... The pollux dont match a voodoo 3

about the psp, the psp crew have access to the lower level of the gpu which, when in good use, can do wonder. We dont have such low-level acces (not that I would know what to do with that, but others around here probably would ;)

That doesn't mean Q3 cant be ported. But it look like a tough job.

Railguy123 said:
I wanted to play Quake 3, but on my PSP Brite it only runs about 18-24 fps. Since this can be overclocked to 900 MhZ, why can't it be ported? My PSP has 333 MHZ, and I've gotten all the way up to 45 fps, on smaller maps. So, is it possible?
CPU speed and memory is not all in computing, specially when you have different systems. PSP has a MIPS processor with a Floating point unit (FPU) and another MIPS processor called Media Engine. A floating point unit allows to accelerate calculations used in 3D, and aids the main CPU. Caanoo has an ARM processor without floating point unit. Has a GPU unit with some floating operations called GTE, but it isn't directly accesible. This means 3D calculations are slower in Caanoo, because they are emulated in software. Another option for this problem is optimize the code for use integers, or use the Caanoo GTE for floating calculations. But both options have a lot of work rewriting the game.

Back