Release Qemu for Pandora (for rebirth competition)

I think you should read a bit about how qemu works, before trying to compile it.

You can find an answer to all your questions with five to ten minutes of googeling and reading :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should read a bit about how qemu works, before trying to compile it.

You can find an answer to all your questions with five to ten minutes of googeling and reading :)
What is this "Google" thing of which you technical wizards talk...?

I know qemu, but i actually never bothered to specify options at compile ^^.

Well, the option list in the docs is a broken link :/.

ooh, I got one. Would Unreal Tournament works? Seriously mcobit, this is looking very very nice.

Hrrm, I wonder if SMAC (Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri) would play nice here; oddly, I found my (get this..) Linux CD (from Loki) of this, but not my Windows CD; now I'll have to install an ancient Debian or something, to try it :p

I forgot how annoying no-cd-cracks were; I've been using the same DOSBOX setup for years, already went through it all there.. but doing fresh installs here.. doh :)

(I too keep a pile of machines, but not game ready..)

jeff

I wish I hadn't read this thread, waiting for my Panda just got even worse!

Can you guys try Planescape: Torment? I don't think it runs on Pandoras version of GemRB, or does it?

I've got it running on GemRB without problems (once I changed the files causing issues):

The mouse is a little sensitive, but it runs like a charm.

Hrrm, I wonder if SMAC (Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri) would play nice here; oddly, I found my (get this..) Linux CD (from Loki) of this, but not my Windows CD; now I'll have to install an ancient Debian or something, to try it :p
I'm in the same boat! This (and other closed-source Linux games) would be an excellent application of user-mode emulation. mcobit, is the user-mode problem an upstream one? Do you know if they're actively working on it? Cause the prospect excites me.

EDIT: I lied, my Windows copies are right next to my Linux copy. But you get the point.

Theif: Dark Project is about same era as Unreal Tournament; I think 3d (software emualted right now) is probably out; hardware accelerated, maybe...

SMAC looks like it shoud be right in the sweet spot. (And really, I think SMAC is the peek of one branch of that genre.. it was really something. Followed by Civ 4, which was excellent. Civ V, I'm on the fence..)

jeff

Anyone try Dune 2000?

Starcraft which plays okay:

System requirements

Dune 2000:

• Windows® 95
  • Pentium 90 MHz processor (133MHz or better recommended)
  • 16 MB RAM
  • 16-bit color video card (2 MB video RAM recommended)

Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri: Windows 95/98 Pentium 133MHz Processor

16MB RAM

Mech Commander 1:

System requirements Intel Pentium 133 CPU, 16MB RAM

Hrm..... a lot depends on how the code runs.. but still, these look in the ballpark to try :p

jeff

unit ready. Training...Building! Unit ready, unit re-BUILDING!

I wish I hadn't read this thread, waiting for my Panda just got even worse!

Can you guys try Planescape: Torment? I don't think it runs on Pandoras version of GemRB, or does it?

I've got it running on GemRB without problems (once I changed the files causing issues):

http://boards.openpa...post__p__104713

The mouse is a little sensitive, but it runs like a charm.

Thanks for the info, that's good to know.

Disregard my request then, unless you want to try it out anyway. ;)

How about Soulbringer then? That one looks a little resource hungry so I'm not holding out much hope.

Pentium 4

256mb ram

128mb video

Very nice! I'm wondering how Daggerfall performs in Qemu. Official requirements are 486DX2 66, so there are good chances it is playable...

I'm guessing I'll finally get the chance to play the last 2 Tex Murphy games....

mcobit, could you kindly check Blood?

Seconded, this is my Holy Grail (apart from Daggerfall, but back on planet Earth) and it would be fantastic to see it at playable speeds on the Pandora.

EDIT:

Just remembered the name of a similar style game i had back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/dFRbimoAJUQ?feature=oembed
a relatively unknown (but one of the best) shooter, that is well worth checking out if you have never played it.

I would be pleasantly surprised if this could be run at playable speeds.. we shall see!

mcobit, could you kindly check Blood?

Seconded, this is my Holy Grail (apart from Daggerfall, but back on planet Earth) and it would be fantastic to see it at playable speeds on the Pandora.
Thirded, my favorite game of the era.. I may just share my deathmatch level to the world I made back in 1997 if it works.

Back