Python hardware support

Sephiroth

Website
Visit site
hello again!

as we all know, python scirpt that are using pygame are currently very slow on the pandora. I've read several posts (from ED) where he explained that like this:

I guess that's because pygame is just a direct compile doesn't use hardware surfaces, etc.
source

Now the question: is this under development by somebody?

Is this a really big thing?

I don't want to nag, only ask.. :) i have a lot of time till my game is finished;D

greetings from germany

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Pygame is mostly a wrapper around SDL, so as soon as someone accelerates SDL that will carry over to Pygame.

And I have no doubt that SDL will be improved at some point, there's just a lack of devs with hardware at the moment.

I believe Pygame is mostly a wrapper around SDL, so as soon as someone accelerates SDL that will carry over to Pygame.

And I have no doubt that SDL will be improved at some point, there's just a lack of devs with hardware at the moment.

Well, you're probably fully right, and I'm probably looking for a few microsecs gain, but has anyone ever considered riting the Python virtual machine and optimized it using Jazelle ? I guess it could be a fairly profitable approach - again once the SDL has been decently optimized for the Pandora.

That's something I'd be interested in, anyone has informations about the Jazelle 2 instructions set ?

AFAIK (or as I've heard) The Jazelle in the C-A8 is a null implementation. No speedup to be expected, its just compatible with JVMs using it. (AFAIK (again) the system allows any instruction to be deferred to software function. This implementation does that for all instructions.)

AFAIK (or as I've heard) The Jazelle in the C-A8 is a null implementation. No speedup to be expected, its just compatible with JVMs using it. (AFAIK (again) the system allows any instruction to be deferred to software function. This implementation does that for all instructions.)

Well, if i read from : there, the Jazelle RCT is marketized as good for Python, so it's worth a try...

However, digging the instruction manual gives you right, it is announced as a "trivial implementation"... Too bad...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back