Diagonal Movement of Sprites

twisted1230

Still Fresh
Hello, I'm currently in process of learning Pygame and Python and I'm trying to make a sprite move diagonally across the screen. Although it does work to move the sprite, this code ends up 'painting' the screen when I try to move it diagonally. Is there any way I can fix that?

import pygame, sys, time

from pygame.locals import *

pygame.init()

pygame.display.init()

screen=pygame.display.set_mode ((800,600))

clock=pygame.time.Clock()

image = 'image.png'

Image = pygame.image.load(image).convert_alpha()

x,y=0,0

movex, movey,=0,0

while True:

for event in pygame.event.get():

if event.type == QUIT:

pygame.quit()

sys.exit()

if event.type == KEYDOWN:

if event.key==K_LEFT:

movex=-1

elif event.key==K_RIGHT:

movex=1

elif event.key==K_UP:

movey=-1

elif event.key==K_DOWN:

movey=1

if event.type == KEYUP:

if event.key==K_LEFT:

movex=0

elif event.key==K_RIGHT:

movex=0

elif event.key==K_UP:

movey=0

elif event.key==K_DOWN:

movey=0

x = x+movex

y = y+movey

screen.blit(Image,(x,y))

pygame.display.update()

I think you need to put each movement in a loop and blit to screen on each loop otherwise it will just make a line appear.

Hey there, sadly I cannot help you with your code (no Pygame knowledge and from a logic point of view the snipped you posted seems sane), but especially with languages depending on indentation and whitespace (but also for any other) use the

Code:
[code][/ code] (remove the space in the closing tag)

tag (aka surround your code with this tag, looks like above) or when editing your post press the icon looking like <> which will open a small editor for you to paste your code in.

Alternatively, especially when it's a longer snippet (>50 lines), consider using http://pastebin.com/ or a similar service for the code.

That way it's much more readable and we are more likely to be able to help you :)

EDIT: As I said I don't know Pygame, but usually you have to clear the screen between two draw operations.

Drawing a bitmap on the screen kind of works like a stamp. So if you continuously "stamp" bitmaps on the screen they will overlap. Clearing then is like getting a new sheet of paper between each stamp (like how you only draw one frame per page in a flipbook).

The function probably is something like

Code:
pygame.display.clear()

or

screen.clear()

Google or the manual should give you the real name.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should clear the screen before blitting the sprite.

EDIT: aaand prehistorically ninja'd by foxblock. I should read more carefully.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back