Pyra Media Coverage

Seems to be the same to me, probably a perspective thing?
Definitely not the same. The innermost hook parts are missing. Where is @FaeMinx to explain what I mean?

I don't mind if the logo has changed (I prefer the one at the top of the page), however everything should be using the actual logo that will be on the Pyra itself.

Sure shot, I see what you meant by the inner hooks, I will check the original latest object as I might have wrongly reduced polys on that part.

Sure shot, I see what you meant by the inner hooks, I will check the original latest object as I might have wrongly reduced polys on that part.
Sounds good. What you have sorta looks like the stickers ED had made (I would love some of those, even if the logo is different). I thought the piece that you are missing is what led to the aluminum logo plate...then again, maybe it was too much of a hassle, so they went with the simpler logo.

I would like to know if the logo plate is going to be raw aluminum or colored like the case plastic. It might help you have more accurate renders, as well.

No explanations necessary... Just take a peek at the logo on the site.

The simplified logo does look good...

Whatever the case, I'm eagerly awaiting some photos of the finalized plate.

I'm now thinking of getting a copper plate machined (or I could probably dremel it myself with some hours free time) to go with a black case... mmm!

I'm now thinking of getting a copper plate machined (or I could probably dremel it myself with some hours free time) to go with a black case... mmm!
Copper? When I was a kid we had an art project where we took pieces of copper and somehow stuck coarse powdered glass to them and fired the result in a kiln to create jewelry. That might make for some truly customized logo plates. You're one of the artistic inclined here - thought I'd pass the idea along.

I don't know an appropriate description for it other than a hook thing.
The simplified logo does look good...
Just not as good (my apologies to the original artist), and many of us really liked the new version.

Make a few. Copper is my favorite metal, so I might be up for one if I don't try for a custom logo plate.

Well, if I dremel it myself, and it takes time... Could be expensive to produce (my time is valuable)...

If I do it, will probably just post a tut with photos here.

Edit: But if I do, I will make one of the logo and one with my own design (100% my own I mean).
Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

You could always use acid...not sure how difficult it would be. Now I want to make copper plates instead of aluminum. Stop sharing your good ideas!

So far, the pyra logo on the model is as you see on render.
I did not actually check the original but the .dae I did from the blender file.
It is not a change an export would do.

Made the metal plate, is this how it is supposed to work? It doesn´t look nice as metal needs light work, it will look better when I find final angles.
Probably gonna be the same as those on the press kit, any other ideas?

BODYb.png

You make some of the best renders - looks great!

Has ED ever said whether the aluminum would be brushed, mirror bright, anodized to match the case color or other? It looks like you used a brushed surface.

If it's getting laser cut, I keep wondering about alternate materials. Other metals, wood or even thin polished stone might even work?

The plastic edge around the black core USB 2.0 port appears jagged in the corners. I'm assuming that is on the source file and may be an artifact of when they were going to have a true eSATA/USB combination port - but it's on the wrong side for that to be the reason since the blue port is the one with the additional contacts that are wired to eSATA. Are the port's jagged corners in the case molds or are they squared off to match the other port? Not that it really matters either way. Just curious.

Very cool stuff.

Hmm.. Don't particularly like that metal look... Maybe black aluminum would be better, with the leds on in some color behind the (probably milky white plastic?) pyra logo.
[doublepost=1462569176,1462569000][/doublepost]Also I see market opportunities for custom inlays, what about a big pacman on your lid? Or a pear with a bite out of it? :)

I still have the idea to misuse the RGB signals from the pyra logo for putting an e-ink display on the back. Too bad I dont have the capabilities for this.

Great renders. The red looks awesome. The black is as dull and generic as i expected it to be. Any colour other than black please, as long as there is a choice.

Really nice Renderings, erico, you have talent! Is this made with Blender and what's your light and general render settings? Do you use GPU rendering? Surface also looks nice, smooth finish. Was that already in the raw files from ED?

Made the metal plate, is this how it is supposed to work? It doesn´t look nice as metal needs light work, it will look better when I find final angles.
Probably gonna be the same as those on the press kit, any other ideas?
maybe you can use a simple environment map for a "cheap" metal effect. Metal works not well under "clean" studiolights but I had some usable results with a (global illuminating) Skymap in Blender that was not visible on the rendering but made the metal work (chrome actualy).

I noticed the main triggers have changed in that blend file, they no longer have a depression for the fingertips, interesting.

Yep, tried brushed metal, can go for a clean one if that is the case. What is the final solution?
There is an environment map already (taken from a real product shot studio), but that produces little results when the surface is flat...a lot easier on the round parts. It influences the light base on the whole object as everything has a level of reflection.

No blender, it takes too long to render, no gpu either for some other off topic reasons.
I exported a collada format from blender and imported on lightwave.

Did the materials myself there as well as some optimization on the file. (150mb->10mb)
It is still a large object imho but it is manageable.
Best always to do quads and control subdivisions and curves, but that is blá blá.
The original object is perfect and the organics are all well subdivided, I believe it can support a render up to 14k, I tried a 7k early today and it is all holding out just great.

Triggers have the depression, it is just no much visible on there.

I´d like to start looking at final renders and lights and for that I need approval of the model and surfaces.
So what is exactly going to be the plate?

Thanks for all comments and ideas.

edit: ah. I found some pcb front and back images on the wiki, added it as a texture on the pcb after some placing about, very dirt work here but....it is awesome! Probably not worth as we are looking at marketing pieces, but it is always good to know things are in there. ;)

Last edited:
Also I see market opportunities for custom inlays, what about a big pacman on your lid? Or a pear with a bite out of it? :)
250px-Mapple_Void.png

Any colour other than black please, as long as there is a choice.
I am glad you support the clear, hot pink, and extreme green cases. I wonder if we will ever be able to buy any of them.

So Liliputing has done another story on the Pyra. This time they did a 35 minute audio interview with Evil Dragon about the Pyra.
Well worth a listen. Check it out here: http://liliputing.com/2016/05/drago...open-source-modular-handheld-pc-lpx-show.html

THIS is great! If that content can be put into a video with a ~2 min. time, it would the best in this world. :)
Really well done!

edit: on the screen tech, you could state the precision you have when gimping or blending, and you could also state the response time. Those 2 infos are critical for artists that want an on the go gadget. For me, it is about buying or not a computer. My caanoo has a great touch screen+response time I can see on the likes of Wacom cintiq...and that is not a cheap gadget either.

Last edited:
Back