PyanoH3ro

ible

professional vim user
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks pretty neat! I'm sure a lot of that text will have to be enlarged on the Pandora though, which limits how much you can fit on the screen. In practice, I guess the panel on the right can be moved to a 'credits' option, and the tutorial could maybe use that space.

Looks promising, i was already looking for a MIDI recorder for my Epiano.

I hope to find time to install the depends.

Looks promising, i was already looking for a MIDI recorder for my Epiano.

I hope to find time to install the depends.
They're not too difficult to install (at least on a regular desktop linux), but let me know if you run into problems.  It should theoretically be platform independent, also.

Looks pretty neat! I'm sure a lot of that text will have to be enlarged on the Pandora though, which limits how much you can fit on the screen. In practice, I guess the panel on the right can be moved to a 'credits' option, and the tutorial could maybe use that space.
Thanks!  Yeah in the configuration file there is a "FONTSIZEmultiplier" variable, so hopefully that should make it easy to configure.  I'm not sure what you mean by the right panel -- the two windows on the right are the terminal where I'm running python (top) and vim for some notes I wanted to discuss in the video (bottom).  I meant to run full screen at one point in the video, but forgot.

Ah okay, right. That explains things.

Since the pandora has a widescreen panel like the youtube window, it might make sense to use the space in a similar fashion for different uses. The 'massive' time signature and BPM numbers you mention in the video are pretty much normal size on the Pandora's screen, so anything smaller tends to fall into the category of uncomfortably small. So the layout will likely need to be rethought to run on a small screen well - if the main screen can be shrunk to a more narrow window easily, that means we can use that space on the right.

Controlling the scale using the number keys is a good fit for the pandora, as on that device, the number keys are above the gaming controls, while the rest of the keyboard is below. So that splits the scale keys and the keyboard keys onto different physical keys.

I put my computer's resolution to 800x600, and roughly took up a bit under 480 pixels vertically:

another-screenshot.png

You can also set the total number of helper lines displayed, the vertical size of a quarter note, roughly speaking, and the width of notes:

ya-screenshot.png

(I should push a few changes which allow for non-integer scaling factors...)

But yeah, I'm still not sure what you're thinking of for things on the right, but I suppose things like messages and what not?

I was only thinking of things on the right because that's what you had in the youtube video and it looked like a reasonable way to arrange things. Since you've explained it was just your terminal and a vim instance, not part of the program layout, there's less reason to follow that layout, and it looks like you've just shown it's workable (if a little more ugly) at low resolution using the full width. Nice work!

I should really pull down a copy and have a poke about, but I'm using my coding time elsewhere at the moment.

Back