Psx4wiz Test Version

Does that mean that with framedrop it would be stuttery but playable? .. I think it was either the italian or the play-asia-rulez review that mentioned that gp2x got 15fps and then went on to speculate that full speed is possible. I never tried it on the gp2x, do you think their guesstimate of gp2x fps is wrong?

Pickle posted on May 15 2009 at 02:05 PM said:
timma posted on May 15 2009 at 08:55 AM said:
im really a nub in the wiz but is ps1 emulation possible on full speed??? if it is keep up the good work when i get my wiz ill be sure to check it out!!!!
No its appear's that it will NOT be full speed, you should expect a little bit better performance than the gp2x. Some of the simple games might be better.
Pickle. are you talking about an unoptimised version or are you speculating that with totally wiz optimized code it still wont be possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
Devilmandex posted on May 15 2009 at 02:52 PM said:
Pickle posted on May 15 2009 at 02:05 PM said:
timma posted on May 15 2009 at 08:55 AM said:
im really a nub in the wiz but is ps1 emulation possible on full speed??? if it is keep up the good work when i get my wiz ill be sure to check it out!!!!
No its appear's that it will NOT be full speed, you should expect a little bit better performance than the gp2x. Some of the simple games might be better.
Pickle. are you talking about an unoptimised version or are you speculating that with totally wiz optimized code it still wont be possible?
I use the latest version released, I was under the impression that the dynarec was being used. We know now that the wiz does less than 2x the performance in some situations. I think it could be improved, i.e mmuhack, but 15 fps isnt exactly playable

3D acceleration isn't being used. I think that PS1 emulation on Wiz would be a worthwhile endeavor but I don't think anyone will take it very far.

The Wiz's 3D accelerator may actually be a decent fit for PS1 emulation, since it has unified memory and 4bpp texture formats compatible with PS1's and all that.

I believe it could happen the psx can be emulated on the iphone well enough that games are playable i dont see why not on the wiz

Any way we can get a new link for the beta of this emu? the current one is down id love to test it

darkriku posted on May 17 2009 at 10:35 PM said:
I believe it could happen the psx can be emulated on the iphone well enough that games are playable i dont see why not on the wiz

Any way we can get a new link for the beta of this emu? the current one is down id love to test it
30fps is perfectly playable, I would think. With some optimization, it should be possible.

christo930 posted on May 17 2009 at 02:43 PM said:

30fps is perfectly playable, I would think. With some optimization, it should be possible.
Isn't 30 fps standard for psx??

darkriku posted on May 17 2009 at 11:35 PM said:
I updated the link in first post with the same archive and now works. I will try to optimize the code using the wiz_lib and other tricks, and I hope to achieve greater speed. Now I will have a Wiz and I'll can debug in the real hardware. Until now, I was programming without it.

jacksterson posted on May 17 2009 at 05:54 PM said:
christo930 posted on May 17 2009 at 02:43 PM said:

Isn't 30 fps standard for psx??
No. It can vary. But many games ran at 60fps.

Also don't confuse internal frame rate of a game with the video Hz rate, which is always 60Hz NTSC or 50Hz PAL.

Hardyx posted on May 17 2009 at 11:00 PM said:
I updated the link in first post with the same archive and now works. I will try to optimize the code using the wiz_lib and other tricks, and I hope to achieve greater speed. Now I will have a Wiz and I'll can debug in the real hardware. Until now, I was programming without it.
When do you believe your wiz will arive?

EDIT: Testin Castlevanis SOTN getting around 10 fps with any mod

Hardyx posted on May 17 2009 at 06:00 PM said:
whats the wiz_lib?

klikklak posted on May 15 2009 at 02:20 PM said:
Does that mean that with framedrop it would be stuttery but playable? .. I think it was either the italian or the play-asia-rulez review that mentioned that gp2x got 15fps and then went on to speculate that full speed is possible. I never tried it on the gp2x, do you think their guesstimate of gp2x fps is wrong?
If you are referring to the comment posted here, that was me and I'm not a play-asia official :p (just have to clear their names in case I was totally off the mark). After my mouth stopped foaming at the release of the Wiz, I realized my theory wasn't necessarily taking some things into account. First of all I was assuming that the gpu computations were more costly than the cpu emulation. That's probably unrealistic. Also, I was accounting for hardware factors only. Finally, I listed the F200 as running at 200MHz rather than 2x200MHz processors. While I still think that there could be a big speedup, I'm not so sure about full speeds.

I am also no expert on the Wiz, so I would take my info lightly. Only time will tell what's achievable, and I don't want Flavor from Play-Asia-Rules taking the heat for my poor clairvoyance. :blush:

Pickle posted on May 18 2009 at 02:10 AM said:
whats the wiz_lib?
Is the library that Franxis is using in MAME4ALL (src/wiz/wiz_lib.cpp and wiz_lib.h), and is based in libcastor, but with functions like the minilib. Is very useful to port things from GP2X.

Hardyx posted on May 18 2009 at 03:27 AM) [quote="Pickle posted on May 18 2009 at 02:10 AM said:
whats the wiz_lib?
Is the library that Franxis is using in MAME4ALL (src/wiz/wiz_lib.cpp and wiz_lib.h"], and is based in libcastor, but with functions like the minilib. Is very useful to port things from GP2X.[/quote]ah yes ok. Dont forget to appy the mmu hack when you work on this.

Devilmandex posted on May 19 2009 at 03:51 PM said:
Dude at emulators are very complex things. give the guy time!!!
Ill do fine with a "no" or "not yet wait a few months or so" :p , Im not one of those " DUDE HURRY I GOTTA GET MA TWISTED METAL GAME ON DAWGZ!" or else I would of been in the psp dev scene. Improvement , time and implemented method its what really drives my intrest for software maturity B)

I just received my Wiz today. I have to test some things first!!
Don't expect a full speed emulator in one day or one week. But I'm working in it. :)
I want to make some ports too.

Back