Blobwars - Metal Blob Solid - Wiz

crow_riot

I've just finished porting Blobwars from Parallel Realities to the Wiz. I'd be pleased if someone could test it before i upload it to the archives.

download blobwars-v1.17-wiz.zip

Code:
Controls
--------
Move: left, right, down, (up is not needed) 
Jump: b
Fire: x
JetPack: a
Pause: left shoulder
Map: right shoulder
Toggle between native and downscaled version: y

Notes
-----
The original game was designed for 640x480 resolution. I've integrated ScummVM's
ARM optimized downscaling routine, which works really well.

Some texts/fonts were unreadable because of it, so I've increased the font size
and changed almost the complete UI that it works again with the new font size
(which took quite some time - lot's of hardcoded stuff in the source).

The major enhancement though, is, that you can play the game in it's native
resolution, but with limited viewport around your game character.
For the non-scaled version, I also added an alternative status bar.

hope you like it :)

Sweet, as soon as I get home I'll test it out for ya and leave feedback. Thanks Crow!

EDIT:
Ok, I've played it for a while now and havn't noticed anything major. No crashes or freezes and the sound is good. The only thing i found was if you press too hard on the dpad to move, your blob just stops. I'm not sure if this is a hardware problem on my part but that's never happened in any other games to me. All in all it's a great port of a fun game.

They seem to have a few cool looking games on their site. Are any others portable?

thanks for testing it. i'll try if i can reproduce your problem when i come home. there are indeed some oddities in the code with input handling, so there might be some bug in the original one.

*edit*
i think the problem is the key emulation, i only emulate explicit left/right/up events, but wiz also has 'leftup' for example, which gets dropped. i'll fix that. thanks for finding it :)

i've redesigned the input handling now - it works really better now. thanks orion for pointing it out! i've replaced the zip file from above with the new version. feel free to download and try (again).

download blobwars-v1.17-wiz.zip

thanks again for testing. so i feel like uploading it to the archives then :)

about blob and conquer - i think the biggest problem with this will be the controls since "A dual analog stick joypad (eg - PS2 Dual Shock) is highly recommended" and another one might be the resolution (minimum 800x600), but if it was made with a scalable UI this should be a minor problem. but i need to take a deeper look to be able give a final yes or no :)

Good work... :)

Notes
-----
The original game was designed for 640x480 resolution. I've integrated ScummVM's
Do you think it's usable the optimized downscaling routine also on 'old' GP2X (F100/F200 ) ? if is feaseble i think i could try to port it..if you share the source

Farox said:
Good work... :)

Farox said:
Notes
-----
Do you think it's usable the optimized downscaling routine also on 'old' GP2X (F100/F200 ) ? if is feaseble i think i could try to port it..if you share the source

well i dont have a clue what system the GP2X is - dont have one, i've started with Wiz ;)

i'll upload the source when i get home, as it is GPL'd i need to share anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may have found something else. It may just be a one time glich but it's worth mentioning. On the second level, I used a teleporter and it sent me all the way to the far upper left corner and I got stuck. Just spinning in mid air so I had to restart the level. I couldn't play for much longer after that so I didn't get far enough to repeat it. If anyone else found this please leave feedback. I try again tonight after work.

thanks again! i'll try to reproduce it and see what the problem is. great testing! :)

OK
Recompiled for F100/F200 and it works :) :) (tested only on F200)

Very Good source thank you !!

i have had only one issue (about libiconv...)but i have found an Orkie package with a series of lib for Open2x and compatible also for GPH devkit (the one i use ..)
The game is playable but is little slow (no overclock)...i want to optimize (if i can...) before release..

Farox said:
OK
Recompiled for F100/F200 and it works :) :) (tested only on F200)

Very Good source thank you !!

i have had only one issue (about libiconv...)but i have found an Orkie package with a series of lib for Open2x and compatible also for GPH devkit (the one i use ..)
The game is playable but is little slow (no overclock)...i want to optimize (if i can...) before release..

good to hear that you got it working :)

about the libiconv issue, that is needed by SDL from the openwiz toolchain. i don't know if you need to link against it on the gp2x, maybe you dont need it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back