Beta Psx4Pandora Beta

HackModford said:
My experience with Zodttd has been that he moves from project to project (I would probably do the same if I was a experienced programmer)

So once this emulator captures his interest again we'll see some major updates...
Oh the emulator has his interest, just not on the Pandora. He is big on Apple devices, development is continuing for those. His last visit here was in June :blink:

It seems that emu development on Pandora in general has stalled as of recently. Maybe the Caanoo is the cause or something. Mupen64 seems another one for the abandonware pile too unfortunatly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the root cause is the delay on the production side - why update when so few people have a system? That said, emulator development isn't so bad. If you sort the list by date, you'll see that there's generally an update on some emulator or other a few times a week: http://pandorawiki.org/Emulator_list

DaveC said:
It seems that emu development on Pandora in general has stalled as of recently. Maybe the Caanoo is the cause or something. Mupen64 seems another one for the abandonware pile too unfortunatly.

I think things are quite good, seeing that only 1000 people have one. SteveM has done a kickass job on his ports, which he is actively updating. Pepone doesnt even have a Pandora yet and his GnGeo port is getting updated.

PSX is something that was really talked up before the Pandy was released, its just a shame that Zod assured us regular updates but we've only got a quick port and now isnt being updated/maintained.

DaveC said:
HackModford said:
My experience with Zodttd has been that he moves from project to project (I would probably do the same if I was a experienced programmer)

So once this emulator captures his interest again we'll see some major updates...
Oh the emulator has his interest, just not on the Pandora. He is big on Apple devices, development is continuing for those. His last visit here was in June :blink:

Yes he is more active on the iPod/iphone but even then he only updated "his latest thing" or most popular emulator... i.e. the sega genesis emulator had horrible sound and was left in the dust imo...

It has been a while since I've messed with the iphone emulator scene though, so I could be wrong.

Maybe we should all send him a dollar?

Ahahaha, Caanoo is causing emulator development to stall on Pandora. That's a riot.

Hey Ex,

Did you hear back from Franxis about the PCSX4ALL source? I reckon once that is released, that will be our new PSX champion :)

Exophase said:
Ahahaha, Caanoo is causing emulator development to stall on Pandora. That's a riot.
You have to understand them... Caanoo get a lot of intention lately. But that doesn't mean that devel have stalen for :pandora2ut4: don't worry :)

jonlad1 said:
Hey Ex,

Did you hear back from Franxis about the PCSX4ALL source? I reckon once that is released, that will be our new PSX champion :)

No sir, sorry.
sebt3 said:
You have to understand them... Caanoo get a lot of intention lately. But that doesn't mean that devel have stalen for :pandora2ut4: don't worry :)

So the Caanoo/Wiz people think Pandora has stolen their developers, and the Pandora people are starting to think likewise. Okay, granted, that would be true if one pool of people was split between both. But Caanoo isn't exactly a time sink for emulators, you just port what you had for Wiz and change the controls, maybe overclocking. It's not breaking any new ground in terms of what it can emulate, and if anything the input is closer to Wiz than Pandora is because that adds both dual nubs and a keyboard, and the video interface is different if you want fast video (potentially audio too)

But we still see new people porting (like SteveM), and I'm just backed up because I'm doing more than just porting things.

Within the first 2 weeks of it's release, this emu got a ton of updates and progress from Zod. The same can be said currently of SteveM's Mame emu, and others as well.

Once these guys get to a certain point, much more time is needed to further progress. During the GP2X days, I would sometimes see so many updates that I didn't have time to try them all, and then you could go weeks(months) with no updates at all, that's the nature of the community. There are many PS1 games that run full speed at default settings, and many more that run very well with some overclocking.

Right now, PS1, N64, and Mame need a lot more work to get to that next level of improvement(Mame is awesome now, but needs to run later games). These things take time, and the current guys doing all this work have day jobs, families, school, ect. They may have other things in life that have higher priority than hacking away at something that is a hobby. I'm sure there are many more guys out there who will help out, and pick up the torch from the current group, but with only 1000 units out there, this will be slow to happen. Hell, Pepone is doing Neogeo, and he can't even test his code out, as he doesn't have an actual Pandora.

Come on guys, improvements will come over time, and when more users actually receive their units, this community will thrive. Just sit tight, and enjoy what is currently available, and keep testing and giving opinions on the current lineup. ;) For those who have enjoyed what is currently out there, please give a donation to the developer. Don't wait until perfection happens, let these guys know their hard work is appreciated now, and not later.

Chris

Exophase said:
jonlad1 said:
Hey Ex,

No sir, sorry.

I noticed the latest psx4all source are unvailable (the GIT one is outdated and never has never been updated for a long time). Any success ?

hlide said:
Exophase said:
jonlad1 said:
Hey Ex,

No sir, sorry.

I noticed the latest psx4all source are unvailable (the GIT one is outdated and never has never been updated for a long time). Any success ?
I guess it is part of their continued "keep away from non-GPH handheld" campaign. PSX for Wiz and caanoo only, The big extended middle finger for the rest of us.

It should then be renamed PSX4GPHonly.

DaveC said:
hlide said:
Exophase said:
jonlad1 said:
Hey Ex,

No sir, sorry.

I guess it is part of their continued "keep away from non-GPH handheld" campaign. PSX for Wiz and caanoo only, The big extended middle finger for the rest of us.

It should then be renamed PSX4GPHonly.

hlide was talking about the sourcecode for the Pandora PSX-Emulator...

I'm pretty sure Franxis will release the sourcecode when he setup his new website. The old one is gone as talfi.net has closed down (and they were providing webspace for Franxis).
Franxis will get new webspace from Anarchy.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
I'm pretty sure Franxis will release the sourcecode when he setup his new website. The old one is gone as talfi.net has closed down (and they were providing webspace for Franxis).
Franxis will get new webspace from Anarchy.
Waiting to see it happen, but I was told the same thing about psx4all and zod nearly 2 years ago...

hlide said:

http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/pool/fremantle/free/source/p/psx4m/

smoku said:
hlide said:

http://repository.ma...source/p/psx4m/

So the current situation is there are many ports based on an outdated source because Zodttd had never committed his real work to the public GIT and so all the forks cannot be updated ?

PS: thanks

hlide said:
smoku said:
So the current situation is there are many ports based on an outdated source because Zodttd had never committed his real work to the public GIT and so all the forks cannot be updated ?

No. psx4all is based on outdated code.
This one is the same code the new psx4droid is based on.

hlide said:

I haven't asked for it. psx4all doesn't interest me, sorry.. you'll have to ask zodttd about it. But I doubt he changed very much between then and now.

Exophase said:
I haven't asked for it. psx4all doesn't interest me, sorry.. you'll have to ask zodttd about it. But I doubt he changed very much between then and now.
It looks like there's a good bit of difference between old and the new psx4m code that was linked. A new recompiler, and looks like changes throughout the code. If I ever get a cross compile setup going, I'd like to do compare the psx4m with the current psx4pandora build. And then a comparison with the recomp from franxis and chui's would be pretty cool too. Maybe after my second job starts to lighten up I'll have more time.

Bryce Leo said:
Exophase said:
It looks like there's a good bit of difference between old and the new psx4m code that was linked. A new recompiler, and looks like changes throughout the code. If I ever get a cross compile setup going, I'd like to do compare the psx4m with the current psx4pandora build. And then a comparison with the recomp from franxis and chui's would be pretty cool too. Maybe after my second job starts to lighten up I'll have more time.

recompiler3 is found to be used in all makefiles.
recompiler4 appears not to be used. A small glimpse on its source shows it is a recompiler for a 64-bit MIPS (N64 ?) to ARM/X86/AMD64.

Back