Beta Psx4Pandora Beta

Personally, I find the cdrdao method to be remarkably easy, myself. It outputs rips in bin/toc format.

Last edited by a moderator:
neogramps said:
Is ripping PSX games fairly easy? I have my whole collection gathering dust in my parents house and it'd probably be easier to rip them than find them online
I tried it with Nero (WIN), seems to work fine but I don't have a Pandora to test. I just wonder that NERO spits out an ".nrg" file. I wonder if simply rename the extention to .iso or whatever will do the trick. Couldn't find a setting in Nero 9 that generates straight iso files from a CD. :(

Working on a more compatible release with EBOOT support as well.

Wanted to second the recommendation of the CDRDAO method mentioned by Prometheus! I personally use cdrdao and, when running Windows, the XDuplicator GUI.

Zod, can I just ask if you'll be supporting cdrdao's "toc" files for redbook audio at some point in the future, please? :) (I ask because, as you probably know, converting them with toc2cue does not work, and just results in a useless cue file.)

zodttd said:
DaveC: Welcome! I'm currently using hardware scaling via fbset. Right now all I do is give fbset a position, framebuffer dimension, and screen resolution. It handles all the scaling. I will ask notaz if there's an option to remove the filter in this case. Here's a list of the horizontal and vertical resolutions that can be combined and changed on the fly on the Playstation:
Horizontal Resolution = 256, 320, 368, 384, 512, 640
VerticalResolution = 240, 256, 480
How would you like these integer scaled? Let me know and I'll work it out. :)

Hi Great work again.

A minor thing that would improve useability slightly. When you first load the emu "graphics options" is first. Since you only change that one in a while (once?) but have to always do a "file options" to load a game shouldn't "file options" be first and be the default so that all you need to do is press B to load the game?

Also when you do get to "file options" it defaults to "save game state". Since you haven't loaded a game yet that option being default makes no sense. To me I think it would be better defaulted to "load a game" since you always have to do that to start.

These things are no big deal but still it could be set up a bit more logical and I think that is a trivial fix.

Also the shoulder button config needs to have an option to be reversed between Q P and shoulder buttons. Some FPS games reverse those and strafe is better using shoulder buttons.

For integer scaling:
Horizontal Resolution: 256 = 2X , 320 = 2X, 368 = 2X, 384 = 2x , 512 = 1:1, 640 = 1:1.
VerticalResolution: 240 = 2X, 256 = 2x (center and crop), or scale this mode only, 480 = 1:1
The crop option wouldn't be as good but those only effect the 256 vertical. Since it is an option it could be switched to scaled.

Since games could have different settings depending on the game such as shoulder button setup, clock speed, scale, and filter on/off preferences it may be a good idea to start thinking of a per game setting other thn just global.

I have been getting BGM stutter in Einhander, not sure if it is my rip though. Also movie sequences in Disruptor, the soundtrack loses sync, then cuts out. Could be my rip too though.

The new version is great with much better sound, thanks for the great work.

Mutilator said:
EvilDragon said:
* Final Fantasy 8 and 9

what did you run ff8 at ED so want to get it running maybe its a dodgy rom that got made...

im tested about all the FF stuff, FF8 works but at the world map its acting goofy. Everything runs good at 700.

Pickle said:
Mutilator said:
EvilDragon said:
* Final Fantasy 8 and 9

what did you run ff8 at ED so want to get it running maybe its a dodgy rom that got made...

im tested about all the FF stuff, FF8 works but at the world map its acting goofy. Everything runs good at 700.

Did you by chance also happen to test Final Fantasy Tactics? Can't wait to have that portable :)

Goddamnit, Chinese men, work faster....

edit: hey Zod, would 2-player (usb joypads) mode be on your to-do list (even if at the bottom)? If we get those tv-out cables some day, it would be such a shame if we couldn't use them with your emu for some long-night 2-player psx retro parties :)

Awesome, just tried the latest beta and it's good to see so much progress being made! FF7 is running great, though the speed seems to be fluctuating a lot (from chugging a little to going too fast; running at 775 mhz); the sound also sounds a little weird (such as Cloud's attack). Only other game I've had time to try is Mega Man X4, which seems to run okay (some slow-downs here and there). I love that the sound isn't so bad anymore, though! Keep up the great work!

Wolfsclaw said:
edit: hey Zod, would 2-player (usb joypads) mode be on your to-do list (even if at the bottom)? If we get those tv-out cables some day, it would be such a shame if we couldn't use them with your emu for some long-night 2-player psx retro parties :)
I'm pretty sure that's very easy to add :)

zodttd: About the clock speeds, might have something to do with 600 having a greater bus speed while 650 is lower bus speed but greater multiplier?

neogramps said:
When playing FF is it normal for card saves to disappear when the emulator version changes, cos I have tested all 3 releases and my card saves never seem to stick - should I just use save states instead?
Memory card saving has only been working since beta 3, so any saves you made with 1 and 2 wouldn't have saved properly.

Pickle said:
Mutilator said:
EvilDragon said:
* Final Fantasy 8 and 9

Didn't try the World Map yet - ripped it from my original NTSC USA Disc,

Last edited:
zodttd said:
Working on a more compatible release with EBOOT support as well.

Wanted to second the recommendation of the CDRDAO method mentioned by Prometheus! I personally use cdrdao and, when running Windows, the XDuplicator GUI.
Does this support the subchannel data which I heard was needed for some games?

neogramps said:
Is ripping PSX games fairly easy? I have my whole collection gathering dust in my parents house and it'd probably be easier to rip them than find them online

Good guide here http://ask-yusry-anything.blogspot.com/2008/02/how-to-rip-psxps1-original-cds-into.html :)

Pickle said:
Mutilator said:
EvilDragon said:
* Final Fantasy 8 and 9

cheers il give it a go at 700mhz and see what happens if not must of not been made right

It's just a tiny thing, but is there any chance of adding a quit option to the in-game menu? I somehow feel like I'm violating my Pandora by pressing all the buttons at the same time!

Also, would be nice if preferences for fullscreen/frameskip etc were saved.

joshwaan2k said:
Same Pleng lol please add an exit button :)

Or even simply an implementation of the Pandora button! This emulator is amazingly promising (actually, for me it is a major reason to own a Pandora), but it is a little annoying that the button that is supposed to work to act as an escape from any application does not work with it.

On another note, the new release is fabulous - nearly full speed doing pretty much whatever I throw at it, I believe at 600MHz (can't remember what my Panda is set to at the moment). Shame the emu is unstable beyond 800MHz for me, but that could just be my unit.

You might want to have a look at MotoRacer 2, which has severe display issues at the moment - or did with Beta 2 anyway... I still need to check for Beta 3.

Back