Beta Psx4Pandora Beta

Hey, thanks a lot for all the support! :) If anyone wants to send a donation directly to me, they can use this link here.

smoku said:
I am interested in getting GLES2 GPU acceleration running.
If I may be of any help, just say so.

I already attempted porting P.E.Op.S. GLX plugin using glesport library:
http://github.com/smokku/psx4m/tree/master/gpuAPI/peopsGPU/
http://github.com/smokku/psx4m/tree/master/glesport/
but unfortunately glesport lacks implementation of many features used by P.E.Op.S. GLX.
At least I managed GLX->EGL conversion. :)
zodttd told me you were trying that, too bad it doesn't work enough :( Next week I should be back working on my end, I'll keep you updated on that. Send me a PM with contact addresses or something :)

edit: link was wrong, fixed now :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruntfuggly said:
So you speak for the masses then? Thanks for going out of your way on behalf of everybody to point out that I'm not allowed to express my opinion...

Hey, all I did was respond to your question, letting you know that your comment could be interpreted as rude.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Gruntfuggly said:
I didn't claim anything? I just said I hoped it reaches a reasonable state - if it's already at a reasonable state then that's great (as I said, I can't tell yet). I didn't mention Tinnus, Zod, psx4all, etc. - I just really hope that I can play some PSX games on my Pandora at some point... I didn't get anything playing properly in Zod's GP2X emulator, so I just hope it eventually does the business on the Pandora.

DaveC simply said it looks abandoned - his post was fairly obviously just his opinion - I thought my post was pretty obviously just mine too.

If I say that I want N64 to reach full speed on the Pandora, I would be implying that it currently was not at full speed. It is your implications that seem rude.

-God Ginrai
Well sometimes the truth seems "rude" but isn't meant to be.

IS PSX4all fullspeed on Pandora? The answer is either yes or no and one of those is just a fact not an "implication". It isn't meant to be rude.

If you look at other facts you will notice Zod hasn't been around here for quite a long time. A quick look on his blog shows massive activity, but only for Apple devices. These are just facts. It is easy to think he has left the Pandora to do Apple and that is why no updates here. Is that true or not? For now yes it is. Of course that doesn't mean it will always be like this, maybe he will come back after the Apple stuff is finished don't know (up to him of course).

I don't think anyone was complaining that the emu wasn't good or the work on it wasn't good. The work on it so far is fantastic, it does work well for it being this early. Thanks Zod and Tinnus for what has been done so far.

DaveC said:
God Ginrai said:
Gruntfuggly said:
I didn't claim anything? I just said I hoped it reaches a reasonable state - if it's already at a reasonable state then that's great (as I said, I can't tell yet). I didn't mention Tinnus, Zod, psx4all, etc. - I just really hope that I can play some PSX games on my Pandora at some point... I didn't get anything playing properly in Zod's GP2X emulator, so I just hope it eventually does the business on the Pandora.

DaveC simply said it looks abandoned - his post was fairly obviously just his opinion - I thought my post was pretty obviously just mine too.

If I say that I want N64 to reach full speed on the Pandora, I would be implying that it currently was not at full speed. It is your implications that seem rude.

-God Ginrai
IS PSX4all fullspeed on Pandora? The answer is either yes or no and one of those is just a fact not an "implication". It isn't meant to be rude.

The "fullspeed" thing was an analogy. I was saying that he was implying that PSX emulation was not at a reasonable state. And seeing as how "reasonable" is a more vague term that is more defined on a per-person basis, then it is not just a yes or no answer.

-God Ginrai

Gruntfuggly said:
You could be [...]
I didn't [...]
I'm not quite sure [...]

Guys,
babbling like this is exactly what is pushing devs out of forums to private channels free of all the noise.

If you want devs on forums please keep the rants somewhere else.

Thanks for the link Tinnus, my donation has been sent.

Please keep up the good work! It's greatly appreciated!

Chris

DaveC said:
If you look at other facts you will notice Zod hasn't been around here for quite a long time. A quick look on his blog shows massive activity, but only for Apple devices. These are just facts. It is easy to think he has left the Pandora to do Apple and that is why no updates here. Is that true or not? For now yes it is. Of course that doesn't mean it will always be like this, maybe he will come back after the Apple stuff is finished don't know (up to him of course).

Well, and why he worked on the Pandora PSX4ALL, he didn't do any Apple stuff. Did he abandon Apple then?

Nope. Devs do what they WANT to do. He's worked a lot on PSX4ALL for the Pandora, got it pretty well working. He can't do much more at the moment since he's waiting for more things to come from other nice chaps like Tinnus, for example.
As soon as something happens there, he goes back on Pandora-Work, too.

But while waiting for that, why shouldn't he do other things during that time?

Last edited:
I would never personally be critical of any particular developer who freely gives their time, and criticising anyone is not something I enjoy. But there is certainly good reason for people to be irritated by the lack of fullspeed PSX emulation with excellent compatibility. When I paid the money for my Pandora I did so partly because Open Pandora were selling it as a machine capable of fully emulating the PSX, going so far as to have video's early development boards running PSX games brilliantly. In this instance it seems the marketing was deceitful, that's the Pandora teams fault. They supplied development boards to people so they would create the software we were promised, and they have an obligation to see that someone creates a good PSX emulator in my opinion, even if it means they have to pay a developer for their efforts - especially when you consider thedeveloment fund. Their customers who were sold a machine that could emulate PSX deserve what they were paying for.

To say "it is capable, it just hasn't been developed yet" is unacceptable, it would be like selling someone shares a company that is capable of being the largest richest company in the world and showing projected figures of the enormity of that companies weatlth, but it later turns out to be a guy in his kitchen making pots of jam. Sure we know it's possible he can become the Jam mogul of the world, a multi billionaire who produces billions of Jars a day for a world hungry for jam, but it's a bit dissapointing to find there's quite a long way for him to go and it might never happen at all.

Let's hope the quick pace of development continues and we do get what we want. This isn't me saying I don't appreciate the hard work people do, just pointing out that there is a reason people are annoyed and sadly the developers who are working for free are the ones getting the brunt of the annoyance, since it seems they are the only ones attempting to put things right they are wrongly seen as responsible.

So, basically you're saying that you were deceived by Open Pandora makers and blame hobbyist developers for it.
"They sold me a hardware on the premise you will make great software, so hurry up guys!"

Nice line of thinking mate...

TitanUranus said:
I would never personally be critical of any particular developer who freely gives their time, and criticising anyone is not something I enjoy. But there is certainly good reason for people to be irritated by the lack of fullspeed PSX emulation with excellent compatibility. When I paid the money for my Pandora I did so partly because Open Pandora were selling it as a machine capable of fully emulating the PSX, going so far as to have video's early development boards running PSX games brilliantly. In this instance it seems the marketing was deceitful, that's the Pandora teams fault. They supplied development boards to people so they would create the software we were promised, and they have an obligation to see that someone creates a good PSX emulator in my opinion, even if it means they have to pay a developer for their efforts - especially when you consider thedeveloment fund. Their customers who were sold a machine that could emulate PSX deserve what they were paying for.

To say "it is capable, it just hasn't been developed yet" is unacceptable, it would be like selling someone shares a company that is capable of being the largest richest company in the world and showing projected figures of the enormity of that companies weatlth, but it later turns out to be a guy in his kitchen making pots of jam. Sure we know it's possible he can become the Jam mogul of the world, a multi billionaire who produces billions of Jars a day for a world hungry for jam, but it's a bit dissapointing to find there's quite a long way for him to go and it might never happen at all.

Let's hope the quick pace of development continues and we do get what we want. This isn't me saying I don't appreciate the hard work people do, just pointing out that there is a reason people are annoyed and sadly the developers who are working for free are the ones getting the brunt of the annoyance, since it seems they are the only ones attempting to put things right they are wrongly seen as responsible.

Um... cry more...? Rome wasn't built in a day and etc. etc.
You should have been here in the GP2X times... it was painful having an 8fps SNES emulator on a machine that should be able to handle SNES reasonably... but it gave you somethig to long for, everyh new version of the SNES emulators got better and better and faster and faster. Yes it's a process that takes time... deal with it?

TitanUranus said:

It has been mentioned many times (even just a few pages back) that a LOT of work was lost when Tinnus had a hard drive failure and he is currently working on trying to write and get the SGX plugin working, after this is done there will be a lot of CPU time freed up to make the emulator run faster.

On top of that point many games are fully playable/fullspeed I have played all the way through Resident Evil games, Pandemonium, heart of darkness, and started final fantasy 7 I have spent many hours with this emulator and love it to bits it really is good and will continue to get better. Save states and memory cards work well to with the odd crash when loading, All in all I would say this emulator deserves 8/10 and I'm sure in time it will get the 10/10 as we have real talented devs working hard on this
I for one am very very grateful and happy that we have what we have

TitanUranus said:
But there is certainly good reason for people to be irritated by the lack of fullspeed PSX emulation with excellent compatibility.

Whats stopping you? why not do it yourself?

PokeParadox said:
You should have been here in the GP2X times... it was painful having an 8fps SNES emulator on a machine that should be able to handle SNES reasonably... but it gave you somethig to long for, everyh new version of the SNES emulators got better and better and faster and faster. Yes it's a process that takes time... deal with it?

I'm hardly crying, just saying there's a reason some people are pisssed off. You ever heard of customer service? You really think it would be acceptable if you paid for a bunch of roses and when they were delivered it was a bag of seeds? Imagine they told you "They have the potential to be a bunch of roses, so deal with it". That's hardly crying, it's just a logical statement. I paid for a device that was promised to be delivered a long time ago - I don't have it yet and I've never complained. Now I'm being told the device when I finally get it will not do what I was told it could do - so yes I'm disappointed, I could easily get fed up and say "bollocks to this, I want my money back" and I'd have every right to do so, so telling me to deal with it is a bit lame. I want my pandora, and I want it to do what was promised. Do I deserve to be labeled a "cryer" for that, even though I didn't actually complain - I just said it's understandable that some people are not happy with the situation, and they mistakingly take it out on the wrong people. You must be in the camp of people who believe in thought control - we must all say only positive things, and anyone guilty of even sympathising with a person who is unhappy should be punished for being a moaning bastard.

I have every right to moan, I still want my Pandora, I look forward to using it and enjoying it. I also have a right to say if I'm unhappy with something or if I agree that there are some things that arent all they were promised to be - deal with it instead of crying about someone not sharing your opinion.

I first had a GP32, then got a GP2X Wiz, it was not what it was promised either so I sold it, but I never once complained about it. Sometimes I made suggestions that were designed to - and I believe did - enhance the functionality of the device, including being very active in trying to get a better interface for it, so I really don't need advice on "being around while stuff was being developed" for a machine I never owned. As far as I'm aware no one posted video's of the GP2X running fullspeed SNES games before there was and emulator available that could actually do it, so your analogy is flawed.

EDIT: chris_c - I'm not a programmer or a developer, nor have I recieved the Pandora I paid for a long time ago - which makes it difficult to make it myself. It's the same reason I pay other people for things like food for example. I go into the supermarket and buy some milk, I don't expect them to give me a cow and say "what's stopping you getting the milk yourself" - er I'm not a farmer.

TitanUranus said:
I go into the supermarket and buy some milk, I don't expect them to give me a cow and say "what's stopping you getting the milk yourself" - er I'm not a farmer.

Haha, that's quite good - I'm not siding with anyone, but that made me chuckle!

:)

Steve

TitanUranus said:
PokeParadox said:

I'm hardly crying, just saying there's a reason some people are pisssed off. You ever heard of customer service? You really think it would be acceptable if you paid for a bunch of roses and when they were delivered it was a bag of seeds? Imagine they told you "They have the potential to be a bunch of roses, so deal with it". That's hardly crying, it's just a logical statement. I paid for a device that was promised to be delivered a long time ago - I don't have it yet and I've never complained. Now I'm being told the device when I finally get it will not do what I was told it could do - so yes I'm disappointed, I could easily get fed up and say "bollocks to this, I want my money back" and I'd have every right to do so, so telling me to deal with it is a bit lame. I want my pandora, and I want it to do what was promised. Do I deserve to be labeled a "cryer" for that, even though I didn't actually complain - I just said it's understandable that some people are not happy with the situation, and they mistakingly take it out on the wrong people. You must be in the camp of people who believe in thought control - we must all say only positive things, and anyone guilty of even sympathising with a person who is unhappy should be punished for being a moaning bastard.

I have every right to moan, I still want my Pandora, I look forward to using it and enjoying it. I also have a right to say if I'm unhappy with something or if I agree that there are some things that arent all they were promised to be - deal with it instead of crying about someone not sharing your opinion.

I first had a GP32, then got a GP2X Wiz, it was not what it was promised either so I sold it, but I never once complained about it. Sometimes I made suggestions that were designed to - and I believe did - enhance the functionality of the device, including being very active in trying to get a better interface for it, so I really don't need advice on "being around while stuff was being developed" for a machine I never owned. As far as I'm aware no one posted video's of the GP2X running fullspeed SNES games before there was and emulator available that could actually do it, so your analogy is flawed.

EDIT: chris_c - I'm not a programmer or a developer, nor have I recieved the Pandora I paid for a long time ago - which makes it difficult to make it myself. It's the same reason I pay other people for things like food for example. I go into the supermarket and buy some milk, I don't expect them to give me a cow and say "what's stopping you getting the milk yourself" - er I'm not a farmer.

First of all, your rose analogy sucks because OP never said that the Pandora had or would ship with fullspeed PSX emulation. They said it was capable of fullspeed PSX emulation. To fit this into your rose analogy, that's like them saying "hey these rose seeds are capable of becoming beautiful roses" and then you buy them expecting roses, and then bitch because they are seeds, even though they already told you that.

Second, there are always games that run fullspeed on an emulator before all games do. I am sure that someone made a video of a fullspeed SNES game before Super Mario RPG was running fullspeed on the GP2X. There are games that run fullspeed on PSX4Pandora, so I don't see where you are getting this idea that the emulator is somehow horribly worse off.

-God Ginrai

OP never made an official claim regarding PS1 emulation. You can't really hold them to something like that, regardless of who showed what kind of evidence for it. Even if you're willing to pay money for it finding someone to work on PS1 emulation isn't exactly trivial.

I understand they showed a video and people are upset that performance isn't matching. I doubt that changes in the OS really have anything to do with it. Sometimes zodttd's releases have some big jitter in speed because of some big changes made. I'm sure it'll stabilize back to whatever it was, but maybe things weren't running as well as you remember. In my opinion videos can look smoother on Youtube than in person, where interframe blending and whatnot helps alleviate some of the apparent jerkiness of frameskip.

Back