Psx4gp2x Public Beta 2 Released.

I just downloaded this emulator for the first time, and decided to test Parasite Eve (which is my favourite RPG after the Final Fantasy series) on it for starters. Needless to say, I was impressed. Everything looks very good (including the FMVs), and I didn't notice any polygon bugs. Granted, I didn't get past the first scene since it was too slow to be playable (about 4-5 FPS @ 250 MHz with 0 Interlace), but the game looks so good in the little GP2X screen that I nearly wept. Can't wait for the dynarec stuff :)

I am getting around 25-35 FPS with red alert on 250 Mhz interlace 0
its awesome to be able to play red alert on my gp2x now :) I will test some more stuff later today and let you all know how it goes... but for now.. RA!!

anyway.. it runs juuuuuust fine, a bit slow.. and take my advice.. use a power supply or your batteries will probably die before the enemy does :p

Can somebody please check Final Fantasy 7 again?
I got 4-5 fps at intro and 10-15 in game and 4-5 in fighting scenes, while somebody else posted here that he got 20 fps in fighting scenes and 35 in the intro movie.
I tried diffrent times, with diffrent overclocking and settings, but I will never get CLOSE to 20 fps in battle.

Do savestates work? I've tried to save my progress in FF7 following that painfully long opening sequence, but I get the same "Save State Failled" notice when I try to save to slot 1. It wont load either (obviously).

since i dont have a large sd card atm and i mean pretty much at all i set up an smb share and i am testing tonnes of games atm so ill post later and maybe ill do videos too :D

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Jul 1 2006 at 08:50 PM said:
Do savestates work? I've tried to save my progress in FF7 following that painfully long opening sequence, but I get the same "Save State Failled" notice when I try to save to slot 1. It wont load either (obviously).
Save states work. Am I the only one who had the opening run pretty damn smooth.

Last edited by a moderator:
PSyMastR posted on Jul 1 2006 at 09:40 PM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Jul 1 2006 at 08:50 PM said:
Save states work. Am I the only one who had the opening run pretty damn smooth.
No, it seems with the last 2 releases the opening sequence is running pretty well. I actually walked away to take a piss and came back, expecting it to still be going through everything, but noticed it was all done. The progress the psx4all team has made is astonishing.

Anyway, is anyone else getting the same problems as me?

alright if by intro you mean the credits right after it say squaresoft, it ran at 16 fps for me and the actual intro when you hit new game ran steadily at 4fps

Save states are working fine on my Tales of Destiny rip. That game runs absolutely wonderfully, and it looks gorgeous on the GP2X screen.

Videos run at 4-6 fps. But the game runs at around 22 fps with the battles bringing it down just a few frames. The game does feature a lot of transparencies, too. Completely playable; I just wish I had sound!

It's funny I can play Tales of Destiny before I can even load Tales of Phantasia. :p

I get stuck on the

Initalizing.
Optimizing framebuffer.Please wait. screen?

any idea what is wrong?

scarface posted on Jul 2 2006 at 08:31 AM said:
I get stuck on the

Initalizing.

any idea what is wrong?

So do I and I am afraid it is due to the firmware we are using. What version do you have? Mine is 1.2.0.
Also, have you tried the latest version of DrMD and HU6820? These latest versions do the same for me, just freeze the device, so I guess its due to the popular hack that is being implemented in everything these days.

I have just used latest drmd and that works fine with my system. I was so anxious to use this emulator though that I downloaded 2.0 and installed it. THe emulator now works ,but I can't get my two games to work.I think that is because they are compressed though with pocketiso. I havn't got a big enough card to just put raw iso on it ,but it looks like ill have to buy one now.
btw its worth it to get 2.0 the green screen only takes like 5 seconds and theres a lil tune that plays when it comes on now.

Since I only have two games converted atm I think ill convert the rest of my games and try it when I get my new SD card.

In ff7, the opening sequence is much faster I agree, but I can't say it was running smooth. But what about the fighting scenes? I get about 3-7 fps... can somebody have a look at their framerate in ff7 fighting scenes?

scarface posted on Jul 2 2006 at 08:31 AM said:
I get stuck on the

Initalizing.

any idea what is wrong?

Try overclocking a little less, it may be the problem, the FB optimization should take around 10 seconds or so. :)

STTrife posted on Jul 2 2006 at 11:32 AM said:
In ff7, the opening sequence is much faster I agree, but I can't say it was running smooth. But what about the fighting scenes? I get about 3-7 fps... can somebody have a look at their framerate in ff7 fighting scenes?

I have around the same results.. 3-8 fps in battle..

G-POLICE 2 - WEAPONS OF JUSTICE PAL ( IMG ) [ With Public Beta 2 ] :

OC : 250
VSYNC : Intro 36 / 43 , menu 23 / 26, mission briefing 39 / 42, Ingame 37 / 55
FPS : Intro between 5 / 9, menus 23 / 25, mission briefing text 7 / 9 ( text seems a little corrupt here ), Ingame 1 / 5... Looks great though :lol:
INTERLACE : 0
PROGRESSIVE : OFF
UC_PSX : No changes

RESIDENT EVIL 1 - DIRECTORS CUT PAL ( ISO ) [ With Public Beta 2 ] :

VSYNC : Intro video 34 / 44 , menu 30, ID select menu 26, Ingame 31 / 37, items menu 36 / 37
FPS : Intro video 4 / 9, menus 30, ID select menu 26, Ingame 16 / 18, door opening 20 / 33, items menu 36 / 37... Stunning, very much totally playable :) .

FINAL FANTASY VII NTSC ( BIN ) [ With Public Beta 2 ] :

VSYNC : Text intro 31 / 32, menu 40 / 42, intro 36 / 44, ingame 3D intro 35 /46, Ingame 45 / 46, battle 39 / 43, stats 35 / 37
FPS : Text intro between 15 / 17, menu 39 / 40, intro 3 / 7, ingame 3D intro 8 /14, Ingame 8 / 11, battle 2 / 4 ( when doing final victory sword swinging 6 / 7 :lol: ), stats 35 / 37... Looks great... I think that it'll become fully playable soon, though it's quite playable now if you have patience and something cold to drink ;).

A quick update on the progress of the dynarec (the code I'm writing to give a large performance increase to psx4gp2x and other ports of psx4all for ARM based platforms)...

I wrote the entire dynamic recompiler. It doesn't work yet, and will probably take a good long time to get it working, but it does compile. So now I am beginning the process of debugging the many mistakes I've most likely made coding this dynarec.

I am fairly certain a 2x performance increase will be noticed in games with the dynarec, and 3x possible. The GPU is going much faster, but the CPU emulation is a huge bottleneck, and this will help CPU emulation go much faster.

I hope to have the dynarec done within a month, but no promises. So maybe a week, maybe a month, maybe a year, either way I'm working on it as much as possible. :)

Thanks for the great feedback on Public Beta 2. Let's hope for the dynarec to be ready for Public Beta 3. ;)

Back