Psx4gp2x Public Beta 2 Released.

AFAIK:

ARM 920T
ARM 940T is a processor with Video Decoding capabilities
2D Acceleration Chip

Dont quote me on this, I think im wrong.

yes you are, theres a separate chip which can do some mathematical routines which are essential for video decoding, such as dct/idct.
I _think_ it could be of some help, even for non-video applications.

MP2520F has a Video Processor to restore compressed images. The Video Processor can decode or encode JPEG,
MPEG1/2/4, H.263, etc. with the support of the CPU. The MP2520F contains the blocks to restore and encode the
compressed images and these blocks are VLD/VLC, DCT/IDCT, Q/IQ, Prediction, ME, MC, etc. The blocks can be
controlled by the CPU. In addition, an internal program can control the blocks in place of the CPU. The block to support
the H.263 Annex J In-Loop De-block, as well as the above blocks, is built in. The block for De-block and De-ring are also
included to enhance the quality of ‘restore image’. Motion Prediction can perform Quarter sample mode interpolation, and
one warping point of GMC. In other words, it is fully compatible with DIVX version 5.x .

zodttd posted on Jul 11 2006 at 03:36 AM said:
I couldn't work on the dynarec the past few days since I had to complete a commercial project, a Palm OS game. Another Palm OS game is in the works for me to do, but I'm going to get some work on the dynarec done inbetween, starting now.

ZodTTD

Hmmm? What kind of games? Any chance for a commercial 2X release?

Last edited by a moderator:
zodttd posted on Jul 11 2006 at 01:36 AM said:
I couldn't work on the dynarec the past few days since I had to complete a commercial project, a Palm OS game. Another Palm OS game is in the works for me to do, but I'm going to get some work on the dynarec done inbetween, starting now.
wheres my zodiac :) ah there she is a thing of beauty :)

have you got any links to the new game?

xinfernoofdantex posted on Jul 11 2006 at 08:16 PM said:
out of curiousity, im getting a new mobile phone, would you recommend palm os or windows mobile 5?

series60 (a linux like system by nokia) the phone is more compact and there is a lot of stuff (3d-games like n-gage, gps navigation, sd mmc support, video, mp3 ...)
easy to use without touchscreen! ;)

btw: would it be impossible to emulate a n-gage?
there are a lot 3d-games (shooter or racing) running fast, looking nice and implying no fast cpu

i'm not to into symbian devices, lol. if i wanted linux, i'd get a zaurus

n-gage cpu was pretty fast, aroung 90mhz if i remember correctly. 3D emulation of it's games would be amusing since technically it doesn't have 3d accelerator, it creates them in a different way, i forget how

xinfernoofdantex posted on Jul 11 2006 at 08:54 PM said:
i'm not to into symbian devices, lol. if i wanted linux, i'd get a zaurus

n-gage cpu was pretty fast, aroung 90mhz if i remember correctly. 3D emulation of it's games would be amusing since technically it doesn't have 3d accelerator, it creates them in a different way, i forget how

symbian is a linux derivat isn´t it?
because there is no harware acceleration the emulation should be possible.
it is a phone, how powerful can such a cpu be?

back on topic: :D
is it possible to implement the hardwarescaling again?
it looks better than black lines and it offers 1-2 frames in wipeout (if interlacing1 of the actual beta is comparable with harwarescaling of the last one)

hackgrid posted on Jul 11 2006 at 09:40 PM said:
"Its main CPU is an ARM Integrated (ARMI) compatible chip (ARM4T architecture) running at 104 MHz, the same as the Nokia 7650 and 3650 phones."

[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-Gage ]

Virtualization for the win :D

@Nr. 56:
No, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbian

thanks for the information. :D

to the cpu: both (n-gage and gp2x) are based on arm chipsets. depending on this they use the same instruction sets (are ARM-CPUs not upward compatible like the 8086series?). there are powerful and slower ones, but arm is arm. I kind of thought. I meant the cpu of the gp2x is higher classified than a ARM4T of the n-gage (at least 6 years old). i think i´m wrong. <_<

Gameboy Advance: 15 MIPS @ 16.8 MHz

GP2X: 200 MIPS @ 180 MHz

is it just me, or does the iso compression (.z / .znx) NOT work with the new beta 2 ?
it's not a real problem since i got samba working, but it would be nice to know since i'm going on a road trip real soon :)

yuujin posted on Jul 11 2006 at 11:30 PM said:
is it just me, or does the iso compression (.z / .znx) NOT work with the new beta 2 ?
Works for me. Saving to the virtual memory card is buggy as f*ck though, and out of three games I tried savestates only worked with one of them.

Yea Z / ZNX does work. The .bz file format doesn't work (I think thats the format you get when you remove music at Max compression...I forget)

Also this is probably a stupid question. But I haven't seen any info on using save states. How do you use the states? Mine says "0 = Disabled" and I can't seem to get it working. States would help out with my testing.

Thanks in advanced.

For Mobile Phone, get a Windows Mobile 5.0 phone, as PalmOS is on the way out, and Palm itself is now starting to use Windows Mobile for it's Palms.

The Zaurus is REALLY awesome. If you want an opensource PDA with full X11 640x480, I recommend the Zaurus Cxxx series. I love my C1000. Reminds me that I need to update psx4all on it. It runs great but could use a better control layout. :p

I have a better picture of what's going wrong with the dynarec. I took Tinnus' advice and limited everything down to the recompile function, recompiled jump operations, and called functions to C implementations of each PSX OP. Well it still has the same weird issue.

So the bug can be in either the recompile functions prologue or epilogue in which I basically inject a stmfd sp!, {r4-r10, lr} and epilogue of ldmia sp!, {r4-r10, pc}

Or it could be the CallFunction procedure where I basically load a function's address as a 32bit immediate (using an optimized method of the basic mov, orr, orr, orr) into R4, and also inject "mov lr, pc" "mov pc, r4". I tried many different methods of doing a long branch, and they all failed just like this simple method. I wasn't able to figure out how to calculate the offset from the PC, to construct a BL op. I figure what im doing now would be equivelant to BL though. So hmm.

Or it could be the PSX opcode's J / BNE, but I highly doubt it, as they're pretty straightforward and simple. If J / BNE didn't work, it wouldn't of made it as far into the BIOS as it does.

Any ideas? :p

ZodTTD

Back