PSX4DROID using PCSX-ReARMed source

No, open source software can be unfree at the same time.

Rather free software is a subset of open source software.
But free software cannot not be open source. That is what "encompasses" means, that is what "subset" means. If I have ten apples and say "I have five apples" I am not wrong, I'm just not giving the complete picture. But if people have difficulty grasping the concept of "ten" (for whatever reason, I don't know, bad analogy, just go with it) but do understand "five" perfectly, and I just want to give a quick overview of the situation, I don't see a problem saying I have five apples and deal with specifics later, should they come up. If the fact that I've got five apple is enough knowledge for everyone, so much time and energy saved and I can get on with distributing apples.

If free software were a subset of open source, then the definition of open source would contain things that are expressly not in the GPL, and I don't believe that is the case. The GPL takes the definition of open source, and then adds its own requirements. Open source says A, B, and C. GPL says A, B, and C, but also D, E, and F. Another license might say A, B, C, D, E, and F, but also G, making it a superset of both open source and the GPL. Other open source licenses might say A, B, and C, but also D, E, and G, but never F, making them incompatible with the GPL, but they are still an open source license. We weren't talking about those though, we were talking about open source specifically as it referred to the GPL under which PSX4Pandora is released.
Yeah, I'm no native speaker (although I don't think this is a good excuse), I understood it wrongly.

But I still think you shouldn't use "open source software" when you mean "free software" as they are based on two completely different ideas and it's a big difference if you believe this:

When we call software “free,” we mean that it respects the users' essential freedoms: the freedom to run it, to study and change it, and to redistribute copies with or without changes. This is a matter of freedom, not price, so think of “free speech,” not “free beer.”
These freedoms are vitally important. They are essential, not just for the individual users' sake, but for society as a whole because they promote social solidarity—that is, sharing and cooperation. They become even more important as our culture and life activities are increasingly digitized. In a world of digital sounds, images, and words, free software becomes increasingly essential for freedom in general.
or this:

Open source is a development method for software that harnesses the power of distributed peer review and transparency of process. The promise of open source is better quality, higher reliability, more flexibility, lower cost, and an end to predatory vendor lock-in.

So although, technically, they are similar and you're right about the subset-thing, there are completely different motives behind them.

Back