Psx Emu

abigsmurf posted on Sep 9 2005 at 10:23 AM said:
grid patterns are the most effective way due to the way the eye works.

Another issue is how you deal with scrolling. do you have the transparency pattern remain completely static or do you scroll the mask with the bg? Both could produce distracting effects.

They would be static. If you could flip the masks offset by one pixel at 60 FPS though the persistance of the LCD would blend it in making the transparencies look real. There are all kinds of tricks you can do. The 2D accelerator may be able to be programmed for transparencies too. Who knows. I wish the damn kits were out already so we could stop guessing ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Sep 10 2005 at 01:30 AM said:
abigsmurf posted on Sep 9 2005 at 10:23 AM said:
grid patterns are the most effective way due to the way the eye works.

Another issue is how you deal with scrolling. do you have the transparency pattern remain completely static or do you scroll the mask with the bg? Both could produce distracting effects.

They would be static. If you could flip the masks offset by one pixel at 60 FPS though the persistance of the LCD would blend it in making the transparencies look real. There are all kinds of tricks you can do. The 2D accelerator may be able to be programmed for transparencies too. Who knows. I wish the damn kits were out already so we could stop guessing ;)

Thats a pretty good idea.

The weird thing is that the picture with the xoxox ect. flickered on my lcd (apple imac g5 17in) it is really weird. These are all great ideas, lets hope we can acomplish psx emulation. I would not mind being able to play some of the older ps1 games.
What is the size of alot of these games though? I mean there are some that span 4 discs, can we recompress the audio and cutsceens? Wouldn't it be easier on the proccessor if we made it in mp3/aac then what ever the ps1 used?

people seems to forget that there's alot of good 2 games on psx: Symphony of the Night, Marvel VS Capcom, Street Fighter Alpha 1,2,3, Metal Slug, Gradius, Darius, King of Fighters,... Mostly Rpgs, Shooters, Platormers and Figthing games. No 3d need for most of them, And most aren't that big.

That's the thing, some of us consider PSX to be unemulatable because the latest Ridge Racer would not work, similarly as MegaDrive really isn't emulated on GP32, as some games refuse to work. :) Like that VR racing or what it was.

It's a pity we'll never get a PC emu for the GP2X... I mean, Doom3 will not run in it, hence it's not really emulatable. :)

Symphony of the Night: best side scroller ever.

Fu*k yeah I want some of that.

2D RPG's for PSX: Suikoden I and II, Breath of Fire series, Wild Arms, hell ya a ton of them.

Many shooters and action games that are 2D as well.

I just hope 2X will be capable of pulling it off well.

So are people feeling that a port of a psx emulator mainly for 2d games is possible? The majority of pda's running the emulator seem to have 400mhz xscales but i think they overclock to over 500mhz. Though the Xscale also doesn't have an fpu much like the arm chips but we dont know if the gp2x can overclock yet. At the 400 mhz speeds the pda's seem to be able to play 2d games adequately. I just feel like it would take alot of work to get it running well a dev would have to be motivated in a crazy kind of way....
heres a quote from schtruk
"
About Emulate A playstation on ARM machine, the big problem isn't the Processor as it's a 33mhz Processor and current PocketPC are at least 400mhz... But You have to know that ARM CPU missed DIV instruction... so Emulate it is already 20 time slower for Same CPU freq....
The Big Problem is in fact the GTE Processor and the GPU processor, both are Float Processor included within PSone, and ARM is only Integer based...
GTE is the Graphic Tranform Engine Processor and GPU is the Graphic Processor Unit... For Example GBA is 16Mhz main Processor and has only 2D graphic Processor, is there any playable GBA emulator today?
I think that Fpse (for PC and PocketPC) is the most optimized emulator. it use Very Optmized Recompiler for CPU... Xscale DSP instructions for GTE emulation ... For now it only Lack a better GPU engine emulation, as for now it's based on 16bit arch and a 32 bit arch would boost everything....
I hope this isn't too much technical...
"
but i still think 2d games are very much possible and i dream of playing command and conquer (yay! hurray!) This probably came off sounding negative but i think its perfectly possible it will just take time...

Before people run off and grab the 8 or so worthwhile 2D PSX games, isn't there still a chance that the CPU is still working a little too hard even when not pushing polygons? Even though you arnt using that part of the system when you play the games you still have to emulate the entire sytem and that could slow the Emulator itself down when running any game.

Also a reminder that Ridgeracer did work it was just too damn slow to be played.

but wasnt ridgeracer played on geepee? that thing is only 44Mhz...
so lets see this thing again on 200 or even more (thats allready a speed boost) and if we can really use the second arm, then it could get playable imo

If psx emulation is possible i might be able to attain my dream of playing LBA on the move. woo.

heres hoping its possible and compatible, god willing and coders permitting......

Aq3of8 posted on Sep 11 2005 at 08:47 PM said:
If psx emulation is possible i might be able to attain my dream of playing LBA on the move. woo.

heres hoping its possible and compatible, god willing and coders permitting......
LBA will get ported to the GP2X eventually. Otherwise something bad will probably happen to me. :blink:

lol. Damn right :D

who knows maybe further along the line (if sdio cards work) it would be possible for say, multiplayer tekken. only time will tell...... and clever coders.

i've tried to buy it from him for months now and he won't sell, offered $1000 but he's not interested, i'll try and grind him down yet though!

x68000 posted on Sep 12 2005 at 04:09 PM said:
i've tried to buy it from him for months now and he won't sell, offered $1000 but he's not interested, i'll try and grind him down yet though!

I have seen those before but would never be willing to pay that price, yes I know the money that goes into to it. But for what else I can get for that price, GP2X $200, Nintendo DS $130, iPod nano 4gb $250 and a psp $250. For a total of $830, and buy a game for the ds and psp and throw in a few cases/accessories and I hit $1000. Sounds like this is the better deal.

But if you want something totally orignal and one of a kind, you can go ahead and keep trying. Tell us if you get one!

holy crap man! for $1000 i'll build you one!!!
it just looks like a psone lcd, custom case, guts, pad, and hardwork. i think the guy sells the cases too
btw, doesn't look very comfortable to play..
edit:

this guy sells his portable psone for $270 man...
still don't think they are comfortable to play on..

he bought 2 cases for just under $500 and then spent months and many psones to put this together.

so which guy is selling this for $270? i'd buy 2 for that price!

reallynotnick posted on Sep 13 2005 at 01:18 AM said:
x68000 posted on Sep 12 2005 at 04:09 PM said:

I have seen those before but would never be willing to pay that price, yes I know the money that goes into to it. But for what else I can get for that price, GP2X $200, Nintendo DS $130, iPod nano 4gb $250 and a psp $250. For a total of $830, and buy a game for the ds and psp and throw in a few cases/accessories and I hit $1000. Sounds like this is the better deal.

But if you want something totally orignal and one of a kind, you can go ahead and keep trying. Tell us if you get one!
but what do you do when you have all those systems..... and the rest? I just like to have these damn things, might never use them but just have to have them!!!

Back