Psx Emu

they will..someday. they'll have to, it wouldn't make sense if they never make a real sequel to that game. i think they're just stretching it as much as possible. an ff7 sequel is their trump card.

The DVD/UMD movie is a sequel in most aspects. Many if not all of the characters return, the Action game with Vincent sounds more like Parasite eve to me but that's just my own feeling. and there is supposed to be one other game, but I forget it's name.

junker posted on Sep 8 2005 at 10:22 PM said:
for the mean time, the best psx portable would be a laptop..pretty much any.

Very good indeed, more recent OpenGl plugins do shader effects also, sound plugins do reverb.

You also have Chankast the Dreamcast emulator, full MAME, ScummVM, DosBox, etc etc.

The best portable machine is a laptop. Of course you cant play in the bus with it, or on the beach, because of the heat and sand.

EDIT:

and Half Life 2 if you have latest gen laptop, with Go 6600 or X600 GPU

Last edited by a moderator:
Johndifo posted on Sep 8 2005 at 07:31 PM said:
Very good indeed, more recent OpenGl plugins do shader effects also, sound plugins do reverb.

You also have Chankast the Dreamcast emulator, full MAME, ScummVM, DosBox, etc etc.

The best portable machine is a laptop. Of course you cant play in the bus with it, or on the beach, because of the heat and sand.

...and random robberies, and 4 hour battery life (depending on your power output).

Alpha2 posted on Sep 8 2005 at 11:34 PM said:
...and random robberies, and 4 hour battery life (depending on your power output).

Yes you are right, but only on a big city or in the streets, but imagine your work make you travel a lot, bring the laptop. Or this weekend you go visit family/friends on other town, bring the laptop.

Alpha2 posted on Sep 8 2005 at 10:02 PM said:
You dont get it do you? NO major game company can support homebrew emulation because down the line when those games are classics and they want to start making money off them again through som form of retro revival THEY'LL be screwed over by illegal emulations floating around the net, if they were ever to try and shut them down after allowing emulation on their system to go unchecked then they'd look like hypocrits to every other company.

even though Sega themselves used Kgen when releasing PC 'ports' of their games? I've also read that Cassini when it was still commercial was supported by Sega and it was allowed to go OS/freeware.

Sounds like an endorsement of emulation to me.

cassini? haha, that thing is a rip. it was giri giri that was used by sega. cassini is the hacked giri giri emulator that sega used.

and those examples with sega don't mean much. if they endorsed emulation like the way we're talking about then why would they bother releasing so many of those sonic and sega ages compilations?

You also notice how quiet they were when Bleem! was being made for the DC... ;) But they're in Software only mode now they might change their tune.

Squidge posted on Sep 8 2005 at 08:46 AM said:
Transparency will slow down everything to a crawl simply because of the amount of work needed to do it. However, instead of attempting transparency, we could raw background on one pixel, foreground on the next, etc, to simulate transparency. I think that could even be done in hardware.

You mean like THIS:

snestransparency.png

What about dithering the transparencies? I know alot of less power intesive games use that method (Super mario world dithers the flowing water in the first stage)

Who can forget the infamous 'meshes' that the Saturn used in ports instead of transparencies ^^

DaveC: Almost right :) I mean that rather than doing it vertical like that, doing horizontal.

So rather than this:

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

you'll have:

oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

or maybe even:

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Which would look the best you reckon?

abigsmurf posted on Sep 9 2005 at 08:15 AM said:
Who can forget the infamous 'meshes' that the Saturn used in ports instead of transparencies ^^
that was only done when the programmers didnt know what they were doing.

check out panzer dragoon zwei to see how well the saturn could handle transparancies when it was being programmed in the right hands.

I was curious about that so had a quick play with that image to produce this:

transparencies.png

The four images are: Normal transparency, horizontal mask, vertical mask, and chequered mask. The masked images are obviously not as good, but I think the chequered one looks the best of those.

grid patterns are the most effective way due to the way the eye works.

Another issue is how you deal with scrolling. do you have the transparency pattern remain completely static or do you scroll the mask with the bg? Both could produce distracting effects.

i think the chequerd mask is easily the best and if you hadnt seen the proper transparency you probably wouldnt even think it was wrong.

abigsmurf posted on Sep 9 2005 at 10:23 AM said:
grid patterns are the most effective way due to the way the eye works.

Another issue is how you deal with scrolling. do you have the transparency pattern remain completely static or do you scroll the mask with the bg? Both could produce distracting effects.

Just fire up DrMD and play Sonic. The MD used this technique in Sonic for the "transparent" waterfalls. They used the vertical bars version. The Saturn also used this for transparencies too.

You could always have an option in the emu of which type of mask you wanted.

nah, not all. there were plenty of saturn titles with true transparency.
having options for different types of masks would be cool, too!

junker posted on Sep 9 2005 at 03:09 PM said:
nah, not all. there were plenty of saturn titles with true transparency.
having options for different types of masks would be cool, too!
exactly, as i said further back, saturn could pull off transparancies when programmed by people like team andromeda. Unfortunately, most western developers are lacking in competency when compared to the best japanese software houses.

Let's get AM2 and Sonic Team to develop for gp2x :p

never said it couldn't I just said ports (except for pandemonium) used meshes instead of transparencies because of lazy developers

Back