Psx Emu

Cahaz

I just realised something, IF there's a good psx emu in the future of gp2x, then...you'll be able to play diablo, warcraft 2, and command an conquerer on gpx2, right? :lol:

srry if i sound stupid or something, but i just realised that, and i'm really happy to know that MAYBE we'll be able to play these games on our future lovely handheld. :)

cahaz

at 5 fps at best.

I'll be damn amazed if it can pull off smooth 30~40 fps on PSX.

Most likely not, though, given the history with GP32 and how it was expected to pull off a perfect SNES emu. And it never did...

Waa? Diablo on the GP2x?

I'd buy that for a dollar! Or lots. I adore the Diablo series, even though i got sick of the 2nd one, but that was after three solid years of playing, over ten or eleven accounts full of mules/old characters.

An Spanish cpu expert said that it could be possible if the emulator was made in ASM or something like that :/

Who knows...

polooo2 posted on Sep 7 2005 at 08:12 PM said:
at 5 fps at best.

I'll be damn amazed if it can pull off smooth 30~40 fps on PSX.

Most likely not, though, given the history with GP32 and how it was expected to pull off a perfect SNES emu. And it never did...

True, but considering how well Genesis plays on the GP32, I'm sure it's possible to get SNES to about 95% perfection, if not entirely perfect... unless there's some huge difference between the 2 systems I don't know about that makes the SNES much harder to do(meaning much harder for the system to handle, not much harder to code... how hard it is to code has nothing to do with how well the system will handle it if it's coded perfectly).

Now that doesn't mean that perfect PSX is possible on the GP2X. I highly doubt it is, but I wouldn't be dissapointed if that's the case anyway. Although it would kick major ass to be able to play PSX games on a handheld system(I think Sony should release a true PSP... portable PSX. I'd sooner buy that than the PSP we have now even if all it did was play PSX games).

Last edited by a moderator:
never say never kids!

i heard some things on the web that were talking about over clocking the same cpu the gp2x is using to 300 mhz. life would be shortened though. but imagine what we could do with a 300mhz dual core cpu with 64mb of ram. Now, it's true that there's alot of other things to take in consideration, like how well the sdk is able to 'talk' to the cpu, the cache of the cpu, the speed of the ram and all. But GPH said their dual core 200mhz proccesor could work better than a single 400mhz proccesor. Maybe it's only hype, but it could also be true.

...and then maybe, after alot of optimizing, we will finally be able to play diablo and warcraft 2 with an acceptable framrate. :)

i hope neo geo get emulated well too. :)

There are open source imlementaions on warcraft 2, and command an conquerer that perhaps would be a bletter idea

id take amiga over psx any day of the week, and i think its actually more plausable too. well just have to wait and see.
I cant get one till xmas anyway so ill get a chance to see how things are progressing.

You are all dreaming if you think PSX would run at a playable rate with sound. God I hate these PSX emu threads :rolleyes:

I think the gp2x should be able to emulate at some decent speed. People have ported pcsx for the dreamcast and were able to get about 10 to 15 fps without optimization (it was a quick port that people put aside and worked on other things). When Bleem made their emulator for the dreamcast it was running full speed but only written for certain games before sony shut them down.

Eh.. there is already a PSX emu being developed, the guy making it for the PSP is going to port it over to the GPx2.. or was that for the GPX? i forget which, either way.. we should all know soon enough

furikuri posted on Sep 8 2005 at 01:00 AM said:
I think the gp2x should be able to emulate at some decent speed. People have ported pcsx for the dreamcast and were able to get about 10 to 15 fps without optimization (it was a quick port that people put aside and worked on other things). When Bleem made their emulator for the dreamcast it was running full speed but only written for certain games before sony shut them down.

The dreamcast is a MUCH more powerful machine plus it has a 3D powerVR GPU the GP2X has no 3D GPU etc.

We will be lucky to get decent SNES on the GP2X.

Yes the dreamcast has 3d support but it only has a 200mhz cpu and 16mbs of memory. correct? Running 3d ps1 games I think that the dreamcast would be better but at 2d wouldnt gp2x be a better choice? There are a lot of good 2d ps1 games too. My old 550 athlon with windows running on the machine could emulate ps1 games. was there anything special about dreamcasts cpu? I really dont know much about it except what I read on a spec site.

furikuri posted on Sep 7 2005 at 09:00 PM said:
the guy is moving is project to gp2x, it won't come out on psp, since sony always try to cut the hombrew community, so he'll support gp2x.

Just to let you know the ported pcsx for the dreamcast that ran at 10 - 15 fps only used the sh4 and was not even hardware accelerated.

Shadow of Chaos posted on Sep 7 2005 at 10:00 PM said:
Wrong, its still coming out to psp.

why would the guy cancel it for the PSP when its easier to code for since the PSP has a nice 3D chip when GPx2 doesnt?
Because he said that he didn't want to support the PSP because Sony is fighting as hard as they can to destroy the homebrew scene. While GPH, as we all know, is completely dependent on homebrew. He liked the dual ARM core, too. He wants to optimize for the ARM because he wants to port it the Zaurus, I believe.

I can deal with a less than perfect framerate, if it means I can take PSX games with me anywhere. ;)

Back