Psp Emulation

gavie said:
N64 emulation would be a miracle, don't expect anything higher than that.. Most PC emulators can't even handle all of the games...

N64 seems to run at a respectable framerate on the psp, not playable but a good start. So, the pandora should be able to 1up that right?

Last edited by a moderator:
gavie said:
N64 emulation would be a miracle, don't expect anything higher than that..
I beg to differ. playable N64 emulation is definitely possible. And fullspeed might be possible, if we have some good optimization done. As far as compatibility goes, that has nothing to do with if it is possible to emulate a system or not.

-God Ginrai

No. Dreamcast emulation will not happen.

PSP emulation will not happen.

PS2 emulation will not happen.

I hate to be such a downer, but so much of this thread is just wishful thinking.

MHz is in no way a measure of performance..... I can't believe how many people don't realize this. Otherwise, why have PC processors become so much more powerful while barely approaching 3 GHz, while the last generation approached 4 and was slower? They had less cores, less advanced microarchitectures, you'd be comparing apples and oranges. MHz is a rate of CLOCK FREQUENCY ONLY and has nothing to do with performance except comparing the exact same processor in the exact same operating environment....

As for Dreamcast, PS2 and PSP emulation? If you're happy with framerates measured in "Frames Per Century".... have fun.

I wonder how doesthe pandora cpu compare to the xbox cpu, because una-i, one of the developers of the "chankast" emulator, said he tried to port it to the xbox and got sonic adventure running at 20 of 30 fps, and that without optimizing..

efegea said:
I wonder how doesthe pandora cpu compare to the xbox cpu, because una-i, one of the developers of the "chankast" emulator, said he tried to port it to the xbox and got sonic adventure running at 20 of 30 fps, and that without optimizing..
But Chankast was optimized for x86 in the first place, and hardware-wise XBox is really just a PC.

At 600MHz Pandora's CPU won't stack up against XBox's, it's a more sophisticated CPU with a higher clock rate, even ignoring the ways x86 holds it back.

And I wouldn't play Sonic Adventure at 20-30fps (we're talking out of 60, right?)

EDIT: Would like to see a source on this (Chankast performance on XBox), I can't find anything and I'm starting to think it's just a rumor.

Chankast didn't run that well on a 2 Ghz+ Athlon 64, so I doubt it ran at 20-30 FPS on a ~600 MHz P3 Celeron... either way in my experience its compatibility is low compared to NullDC so it's really not the correct choice to port anyway, were DC emulation on Pandora possible at a decent speed, which it's not.

atomicthumbs said:
quartercast said:
Gaeryc said:
TheLonelyGod said:
Gaeryc said:
TheLonelyGod said:
pata pata pata pon
pon pon pata pon

chaka chaka pata pon

Don dodon dodon

Pon pokko pon pon

DAH DO DAH C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

Are you guys talking about the game for PSP Patapon that seems like a game that somone could easily make for the Pandora or at least similar to it because that game is OK. ;)

Last time I tried Chankast, it ran Sonic at full speed. The only problem is that the audio kept muting and you had to restart the emu to get it back.

squeakypants said:
PS2:
CPU: 299 MHz
GPU: 147 MHz
PSP:
CPU: 333 MHz
GPU: 166 MHz

Different processor architectures. There's no comparison here. PSP, while a very capable gaming rig, is not more powerful than the PS2.

I'm sure that they could only get Chankast running at around 2-3 fps on the xbox private beta!

Anyway, if 20-30 was possible, it would have been close enough considering the original game's dire framerate (25-30fps max, despite Sega promising a constant 60fps!)

Rivroner said:
Como no se lo traduzcas... :D

De todas formas lo dije yo ayer en el hilo de Dreamcast que hay abierto.
El dijo una fuente, pues toma fuente... :rolleyes:

efegea said:
Exophase said:
EDIT: Would like to see a source on this (Chankast performance on XBox), I can't find anything and I'm starting to think it's just a rumor.
http://gp32spain.com/foros/showpost.php?p=...p;postcount=148

Thanks (wow, pretty recent huh).

Unfortunately, a single number like that means very little. It could be the very highest it has reached, for instance in a low CPU area like a menu. Maybe una-i himself will say something some time.

x68000 said:
I'm sure that they could only get Chankast running at around 2-3 fps on the xbox private beta!

Anyway, if 20-30 was possible, it would have been close enough considering the original game's dire framerate (25-30fps max, despite Sega promising a constant 60fps!)
Then you should expect it to run at 12.5 - 15 FPS; if it was overstressing the DC hardware due to inefficient design and the Pandora can't run Dreamcast emulation even remotely near full speed (IT CAN'T), it would experience the same difficulties compounded....

But it's a moot point. Dreamcast emulation will always run like shit on such hardware and there isn't a way around it. I'd be impressed if you achieved >1-3 FPS honestly.

Back