PSIO - Boot PS1 ROMS via SD on original console

Are you kidding this is awesome!  I can dig out my ps1 machines too now.  The lasers were crap, I even tried replacing a laser in one and it still had trouble reading my discs.  Now I even bought more than one system (I think I have 6 - 2 or 3 of which have the parallel port needed for this).  I still play most ps1 through PSP/Pandora but this great.  I can tell the wife those systems aren't junk afterall, they'll still work.

Hey ED when you sell them in your Shop will i buy them,same for a Dreamcast SD Adapter :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes sorry for that little Offtopic.
There exist a Dreamcast SD Adapter for playing Homebrew and slooowly Commercial Games.
Loading Times are a little slower than the GD Rom Drive.
Its like play Games via Playstation 2 from USB,Videos stuttering a bit,but most Games work fine.
For Homebrew is that superb readed i :)
Put off the old unused Modems in your DC, put in the DC SD Adapter,load the delivered GDRom and play from your SD.
That Adapter for the PSX is awesome too.

I have a bunch of early PS1s, I've been waiting for something like this...

The only reason I think this may be too late is that I don't think the PS1 would look any good on an LCD screen.

If someone has used a PS1 on a HDTV with a component lead please let me know how titles look.

Put off the old unused Modems in your DC, put in the DC SD Adapter,load the delivered GDRom and play from your SD.
You have a SD adapter which plugs into the modem bay? I have one which plugs into the serial port... I wonder if there's a speed difference?

Sorry for the O/T!

The only reason I think this may be too late is that I don't think the PS1 would look any good on an LCD screen.

If someone has used a PS1 on a HDTV with a component lead please let me know how titles look.
Without native component out you'll have to do some DIY like suggested here but I'm guessing it'll still not look like ye olde CRT quality, you need a proper scaler to get a good progressive signal - some early line doublers (used to be popular when high end home cinema setups used CRT projectors) can sometimes be found for a good price. Although they will tend to work off composite or S-Video only, the quality of image delivered will look many times better than directly connected RGB relying on the modern TVs own scaler. One for the lottery win eBay frenzy.

I was thinking of getting a XRGBmini Framemeister

But most people say to get better image quality for PS1 games you have to play them on a PS2 to get 480p output which negates the need for a PSIO.

Really does make stuff look the dogs doo-dahs though.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/FLzTRJGBVYk?feature=oembed

PS1 games don't look as good on PS2 as they do on a PS1 - well, lots of them don't anyway (maybe it's different for NTSC systems?), the display modes are slightly different to the original machine - you do get native component out, but it still won't sort out the scaling issues.

The XRGB mini sounds great though, especially the raster simulation. You don't need component out to use it - S-Video should be more impressive than the picture you currently get, and you could always sort out a component adapter later to squeeze the last drop of quality out of it!

Back