Psx Gameshark - Wtf?

Squirrel61

Website
www.psp-flevoland.nl
Since many people here still have their precious old consoles, I'm dropping my question here (the Playstation 1 seems abandoned on most other sites).

For my PS1 (model 5502) I've got a brand new Gameshark module. But it came without instructions. After some extensive googling, I've found some hints on how to use it.

I'm expected to put the module in the parallel port on the back of the PS1 and put the switch in the up position. But when I do that, the PS1 doesn't boot. It will boot with the switch in the down position, but then the module is off and doesn't do anything. After a bit of plugging, unplugging, switching on and off, powering on and off the PS1 now even doesn't boot with the switch in the down position.

Q1: Could it be I killed the module? Or maybe I should update it's firmware, because the firmware is too old to be compatible with my 5502 PS1?

On the backside, there's a DB25 connector. I found that this connector is expected to be connected to the "comms link card", which is an old ISA card. I also found that the "action.exe" program is required to address the card and module and that it's then possible to update the module's firmware. And I found out that the comms link card is nothing more than a high-speed (bidirectional?) parallel port.

Q2: Is it possible to use action.exe on any PC equipped with a high-speed printer port, or is it addressing the comms link card directly and exclusively?

Q3: Does someone have a digital version of the original manual?

Back