PS4ONEOuya

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
Chinese KickStarter! I'm not gonna back this!!

http://m.z.jd.com/project/details/20791.html

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/08/ballsy-chinese-console-rips-off-both-the-ps4-and-xbox-one

1388744745171403810.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know what the fuss is about, it's totally original, it's the first Chinese console to knock off three separate consoles in one go.   (Xbox One, PS4, OUYA)

Yes ladies and gents , its called the OUYE

Would this be 100% legal? Current gen consoles may be handled different compared to older hardware when it comes to devices like this.

When has anyone in China cared about the legality of copying a design or IP.

I don't get the fuss about copying designs. According to my local tram museum Werner von Siemens and others copied electrical engine designs from the US when they hit problems, too. Most people are just underestimating the amount of work reverse engineering is and how long replicating a product from scratch actually takes and overestimating the rarity of good ideas. After having been active with a medium business in the EU software patent discussions, I can say with conviction that nerfing patents (e.g. relegating their legal strength to something resembling trademarks, and shortening the protection time span) would make the world a better place. Even removing patents competely is probably better than the current situation where innovation and competition can be easily subdued, but I suspect that a weak patent mechanism can further improve innovation (as intended by the original law makers). Similar arguments can be made for copyright (IMO the extremely long duration of protection is the largest problem here; a broad noncommercial, private use exemption is probably a good idea, too, especially for kids and their parents, but not nearly as important as giving businesses more incentive to move fast).

^ There's a thing called jealousy. I would not want to invent something, only for someone to copy it and make more money off it (and more successful) than I'm making.

Do you know where the Phunkeeduck and I/O Hawk originated from?

Well, that's why I proposed nerfing patents instead of abolishing them (trademarks are still pretty strong, perhaps still too strong). Anyway, the points are that a ) preventing jealousy isn't as important as getting products to customers and b ) a lot of ideas are in the heads of several people at approximately the same time (one of my CS profs had an assistant learn Russian just to be able to study Russian journals from before 1990; they found that several important results had been thought of and published - often using quite different terminology; noticing that two results are identical isn't always easy with math - at roughly the same time with quite a lot of them earlier than in western science; some may have been copied in either direction, but communication was mostly nonexistant and the topic - automata theory - of only theoretical interest and therefore nonessential to either empire).

Brilliant! Now if they can only get Julie what's her name from that genre bursting, cosmic shattering, existence modifying piece of shit, known as the ooh yeah, ooh yeah baby, then they will be sorted.

What bothers me more then design similarities is wether the console and the controller are depicted in the same scale. This looks like it will contain a run of the mill ARM chip board which has a foot print probably not much bigger then the controller. Even if you include a power supply (which probably will be external), there must by a lot of free space inside that thing.

I don't get the fuss about copying designs. According to my local tram museum Werner von Siemens and others copied electrical engine designs from the US when they hit problems, too. Most people are just underestimating the amount of work reverse engineering is and how long replicating a product from scratch actually takes and overestimating the rarity of good ideas. After having been active with a medium business in the EU software patent discussions, I can say with conviction that nerfing patents (e.g. relegating their legal strength to something resembling trademarks, and shortening the protection time span) would make the world a better place. Even removing patents competely is probably better than the current situation where innovation and competition can be easily subdued, but I suspect that a weak patent mechanism can further improve innovation (as intended by the original law makers). Similar arguments can be made for copyright (IMO the extremely long duration of protection is the largest problem here; a broad noncommercial, private use exemption is probably a good idea, too, especially for kids and their parents, but not nearly as important as giving businesses more incentive to move fast).
In this case (and with a lot of other Chinese devices) they're just copying the look in the hopes some number of buyers will mistake it for an actual PS4. It's not really about reusing a good idea here.

No backers for this?
Nope. I backed the kickstarter self lobotomy kit! Lobotomize thine self in the comfort of your own home!

Wake up sweating in the dark of night? Does an indefinable itch scratch at the edges of your consciousness?

Then you need the lobot-android.

Unfortunately, being lobotomized means I no longer have the necessary brain cells, to make even bad decisions like backing this bastard son of frankenstein.

Back