Retro VGS indiegogo campaign. (changed title)

So if all I need to play games is a TV capture card I guess I don't need to bother with the Chameleon, regardless of what disguise it's wearing this week.

I was really hoping things would turn out well for this project. I am almost to the point where I don't care. I would rather they not give updates than continue with the bullshit about the prototype pictures (first a picture of a picture printed on paper, then the SNES Jr., now this). Transparency and being open and honest about development only works if you are being open and honest. I am pretty sure they are burning off whatever support they have by playing stupid games like this.

If ED does take off with all the money at least he put on a good show. This wouldn't be the first time the Pandora/Pyra community has seen something like this (not trying to say taking off with the money was anyone's plan). Future scammers need to try a little harder to convince everyone. I don't think it would hurt to just take random components and throw them on a breadboard (not trying to give them ideas, I just think the outcome would have been better since people wouldn't pick up on it as quickly). I guess that isn't an option if they want something that actually plays games. Not sure how the TV card fits into that. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, I guess.

But, hey, they are almost there. They have a completed case design and molds, after all.

I think you're overestimating "everyone"
Yeah, by "everyone" I mean those interested in whatever they are "selling". I probably would have picked up that something was fishy with the SNES Jr. setup, but I wouldn't have thought much about the TV card.

I just realised I have no idea what you are getting at. With how things work now, especially in the small segments of the population interested in "retro gaming" fooling some of the people some of the time won't cut it. All it takes is one or two people to point out the lies, and it will be spread by others. This project is a good example of that.

I am still interested in many of the ideas for this project, I just doubt these are the people (or person) to deliver it. I will take another look if they ever get this thing out and I can see it or some reviews and how it performs.

Last edited:
I just realised I have no idea what you are getting at.
A fool and his money are easily parted - and there's a lot of fools out there. You said they need to try harder, but have you noticed that all the Nigerian scammers rarely change their mail content (though to be fair, I haven't seen one in a long time), and even Apple flaunts it in their user's faces.

Ah. Well, what is foolish to one person may not be for another. Many people have thought I made a poor choice by buying a Pandora, with others that initially thought it was cool changing their mind when seeing prices (this was back before prices were reduced in ED's shop). I feel that paying premium prices for flagship smartphones or Apple devices is pretty dumb, but most people with them are very happy. I understand that some of them look at it as a status symbol. I guess other things are more important to me; my newest laptop and smartphone are 5 or 6 years old, were both purchased used, and were chosen for the same reasons, including a decent keyboard and reliabilty, and flexibility with what I can do to/with them over other comparable devices, some of which may have been the same price and newer.

I don't remember if you were for the Retro VGS/Coleco Chameleon at first or not. Although I think many that were may have lost confidence in this project, myself included, there are probably some out there that still think it will happen the right way and will try to make sure it will happen. There are probably a handful claiming to be supportive that just want to see how far the lies will continue.

Also, I would love to make lots of money really easily by helping someone out! ;)

That inspires a little more confidence. They were clearly covering up the fact they were behind schedule on pretty much everything, so if they can come back from this with a working and well specified prototype then I may be willing to forgive them.

If they don't though, grr!

Not sure why you would say that, it looks very much like they lied three times in a row spanning a long period of time now
Once would have been enough to walk away from this for ever . I suspect they won't be able to provide anything to the Coleco rights holders and they will pull their support and name from the project

I just hate how they have now tainted the Coleco name now with this. Even if it's just the name given the real Coleco is long gone. I'm just glad the guys that own the Coleco name have finally seen the light

I was willing to believe that when they were showing their SNES fake at that toy fair - that was a prearranged date, and if their prototype wasn't ready then they had to knock something up. It wasn't good that their prototype wasn't ready, but forgivable. Now, off their own back they produce this picture of a Hauppage TV capture card in a jag case. Why, if there's a prototype (albeit an ugly one at this stage, I'd bet) would they lie like this?

It doesn't make any sense to me, unless there's no development going on behind this other than the development of lies. Very suspicious.

There's a pretty simple and I think pretty likely explanation: they have no money and they have no one willing to do real engineering work with only the possibility of getting paid later.

So they're putting together fake prototypes to improve the chance of getting funding. They probably think if they had money they could do the engineering work for real.

Of course they have no actual prototype and their talk about completed FPGA development was a total lie.

I can't believe what a sh*t st*rm this project has caused.

Not being interested in it I haven't really followed it too closely.

That is until I read ED's comment in this thread: https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/and-suddenly-it-works.77045/page-2#post-1367708 about SNES Jnr and DVR Capture which intrigued me.

After reading the Atari Age forum and seeing various sites with comments about the whole thing I am so glad I give KS a wide berth.

The guy behind this project is a real piece of work.

Yeah, Coleco have given Mike Kennedy 7 days to show them a working prototype or they pull their name and all association from the project.

78%20Duck-Dog%20Hybrids%20Would%20Be%20Rad.jpg

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/8/11180670/coleco-chameleon-terminated-retrovgs-closed-down

"
"Our intention is genuine to come out with something unique under the Coleco brand. If that's not happening with this group, we'll be doing it with someone else," he said earlier today. "Sometimes when you have something like this happen, maybe there's a group out there that can do it, and help us introduce a better product.

"We have great relationships with other companies, and we will produce new products for Coleco fans," he said.
"

Sounds like Coleco got bitten and wants to make their own console now.

I know it doesn't really make any sense, but I would like it to include a FPGA. I should just buy a MIST or something.

Back