Prototype case and Mainboard Assembly (small video)

The 3D printed case likely will resonate differently than an injection molded one, but people do like spectacle.
Now that you mention that, wouldn't be a wooden case the best one for optimal sound? ^^
Not really.  

You want the warmth and resonance of wood if you're building a clarinet to build it's tone quality - so it sounds like a clarinet.

However, for a speaker cabinet you want the cabinet itself to be 'dead'.  I.e. not resonating on any given frequency.  This is why MDF and HDF and birch plywood commonly get used for speaker construction - they don't resonate.  They're then often covered with a veneer of furniture quality wood, but the veneer does not contribute to the sound at that point.

Ideally the tiny 'cabinets' around the Pyra's speakers will not resonate.  Reality they will, even if imperceptibly.  In order for the membrane of the speaker to move in and out (producing sound) there needs to be something other than a vacuum on the back side of the speaker, so some volume of space is needed.  How much space isn't quite arbitrary, but what IS specific is that it would need to be the same for both speakers so that they respond the same.  You could calculate a minimum volume of 'dead space' needed in the enclosure by using the speaker's diameter and it's expected deflection and the material specs of the speaker's diaphragm.  The idea is that the movements of the diaphragm need to be counter-acted by the 'dead space' so that the speaker cannot create such a great pressure differential that it damages the diaphragm.

What are those two MicroSD Slots drawn on the "backside" of the CPU Board? o_O
Well there is the MicroSD/SIM card socket. Are you talking about the boxes near where the shoulder buttons would be? If so, then I think you are talking about the outline of were the speakers are going to nest. And that Is the top of the board, as the keymat is on that side.
No, if you look at the back of the CPU board as shown at around 8:35 in the video, there are two outlines with a line of contacts in each that look vaguely like microSD cards. One is vertically orientated just under the USB port, and the other is horizontally orientated just across from the SIM slot. I was wondering what they were myself.
- Neelix
Good question, that CPU board is used to interface to the devboard. my guess it may be some debug pads. Hmmm... one is labeled P-USD and P-SLOT. There also looks to be pads for what looks like small push buttons...

VERY VERY good work ED!

I cant wait to buy one.. Hopefully the case will have a better quality than from the Pandora! But from a manufacturer from Europe it should be better quality.

I never had a Pandora (never had the money for the 1Ghz edition :/), only two CAANOO's, but some people in YouTube etc. are saying that.

So far i almost like everything about the Pyra, except one thing. I dont like these round D-Pad's.

A D-Pad like this would be way more comfortable for me:

526537520_6b27576529.jpg

Anyway, please keep up the good work! GREETINGZ!

A D-Pad like this would be way more comfortable for me
You are in the minority, or haven't used a Pandora: the Pandora's D-pad is almost universally accepted as the most comfortable d-pad in existance. It is like a plastic pillow for your thumb.

A D-Pad like this would be way more comfortable for me
You are in the minority, or haven't used a Pandora: the Pandora's D-pad is almost universally accepted as the most comfortable d-pad in existance. It is like a plastic pillow for your thumb.
Hahaha ok, thanks for the quick reply ^^

Then the D-Pad from the Pyra must be soft as a cloud :D  

Well there is the MicroSD/SIM card socket. Are you talking about the boxes near where the shoulder buttons would be? If so, then I think you are talking about the outline of were the speakers are going to nest. And that Is the top of the board, as the keymat is on that side.
No, if you look at the back of the CPU board as shown at around 8:35 in the video, there are two outlines with a line of contacts in each that look vaguely like microSD cards. One is vertically orientated just under the USB port, and the other is horizontally orientated just across from the SIM slot. I was wondering what they were myself.
- Neelix
Good question, that CPU board is used to interface to the devboard. my guess it may be some debug pads. Hmmm... one is labeled P-USD and P-SLOT. There also looks to be pads for what looks like small push buttons...
Right :)

Worst d-pad for killing thumbs that Ive used, is the dreamcast's. I once cut my thumb in a heated bout of I think it was virtua tennis.

I used to prefer the Nintendo D-pads before I used the Pandora.  It wasn't something I was that concerned about prior to purchase, but I have no problems with the Pandora D-pad.  I can't say how much better it is compared to the other styles since I haven't had hours long gaming sessions using it.  When I do use it I don't notice it as much, which kinda supports what others have said.  I think the cross is just more iconic.

The Dreamcast D-pad is a bit of a beast, if I remember correctly.  Doesn't it stick out really far?

The Pandora D-Pad feels like the ones that the SEGA was using on GameGear or MegaDrive (Genesis) game pads, I never seen someone complain about these...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the pandora game pad is very comfortable when compared to traditional cross d-pads, without being inaccurate or frustrating like the x360 dpad. The membrane on mine is a little squishy however and tends to make a sticking sound when I depress the "down" direction. Not a game breaker, but it's noticeable. Mine's used so the membrane may be failing.

I think the pandora game pad is very comfortable when compared to traditional cross d-pads, without being inaccurate or frustrating like the x360 dpad. The membrane on mine is a little squishy however and tends to make a sticking sound when I depress the "down" direction. Not a game breaker, but it's noticeable. Mine's used so the membrane may be failing.
Yea that was my worry. That it has a similar feeling like the D-Pad from the Xbox 360 controller. Because this pad is kinda too inaccurate for me and stuff.

Yea that was my worry. That it has a similar feeling like the D-Pad from the Xbox 360 controller. Because this pad is kinda too inaccurate for me and stuff.
It's nothing like the 360, it's more like the Sega Megadrive/Genesis controller IMO.

Worst d-pad for killing thumbs that Ive used, is the dreamcast's. I once cut my thumb in a heated bout of I think it was virtua tennis.
reminds of the time I was getting down on some halo on the original xbox and I accidentally looked directly at it's dpad and my thumb spontaneously burst into flames. True story.

but seriously, you cut your thumb on a dpad? How in the hell? I hear these kinds of stories all the time, and sure a lot of controllers have less than ideal ergonomics or tactile feedback, but getting physically injured on them... (stories of blisters, pulled muscles etc) I am at a loss for words to fully explain my confusion. Maybe I'm not doing it right, but other than the occasional hand cramp after playing all day, I can't say I've ever been hurt by any game system's controller.

- Neelix
Right :)
So this seems clear to me now, thanks :)

Back