[project Ninja] Touchscreen, Or Not.

Do you think the PNinja needs a touchscreen ?

• Yeah

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ah, you'd have to ask developer people, if there ever will be PDA apps to the Ninja. Us endusers would certainly like to see stuff using touchscreen, but does anyone desire to code any such things? If coder A makes an Amiga emu for the Ninja, and doesn't think touchscreens are that nifty, he will not add such functionality. Unless someone kidnaps his hamster. :ph34r:

I think, if it doesn't interfere with picture quality, and is sturdy, easily protectable, and, if need be, replaceable, then yes. I'd like to see this option.

I have wanted to get a PDA for some time... Having both in the same package would be, if nothing else, convenient.

I voted Yeah!, Especially if Amiga emulation was/is possible (Judging by the one on the PSP, Very possible), Great for Atari ST emulation, Even early Mac emulation. Even the snes had the option of a mouse, Populous, Lemmings, Mario paint etc. Psx had a mouse too, Pc mame has the option to support the mouse for games like Arkanoid etc, Which makes the game more playable.

A definite yes. :D

Trooper

OK, I voted no now, because the touchscreen would be just a gimmick in my opinion that only makes that thing more expensive and harder to develop.

You can abstract touchscreen if you want, it doesn't affect devs who don't use it ! And some people are not so rich to pay a PDA AND a handheld console.

look in the other thread...

$8.870 for a touchscreen-foil...
If you cant afford this than you cant afford the ninja :p

Seraptin, I agree I made a mistake by forgetting all the homebrew stuff besides Emulators, but I own a Zodiac 2 and can tell you that
1. Yes, the touchscreen games are addictive.
2. many other games (Bike or Die) ar more addictive w/o touchscreen
3. if you have a touchscreen, everyone will say "w000t touchscreen" and put their fingers on it because they only know DS ads...believe me...only very few will notice the "strange plastic stick thingie" at the back

also, if you want PDA functionality so bad, why dont use that system WindUps had...IIRC it was 2 movements of the stick per letter; Menu Navigation should be not much of a problem, too.

AND in addition, it'd be much more comfortable standing in a bus/underground train holding your Ninja with one hand, entering stuff, and holding yourself with the other hand. I tried to enter text on the Zodiac standing in a filled up bus lately....I was lucky some friendly person picked up my stylus -_-

Another point is that if it has a touchscreen, one wont be able to carry it around in a jeans pocket or such. That's what I like about the GP32, it's somewhat robust.

And my last point is: On the first Ninja website (the one EvilDragon made in editor), there was printed in bold letters: "it will definitely NOT have a touchscreen", so, actually, I dont see the point of this whole discussion ^^

Phew, that was a long one :D
gonna go to bed now,

regards,
Nils

it still says that it will definately not have a touchscreen :)
but we want to convince them to use a touchscreen.....

and well i want to use my ninja.. i dont buy it for someone else to play it who wouldnt notice the stick...

as for your one hand thingy: You can use the ninja with one hand... if it has a touchscreen or not makes no difference.....

and i dont see why you cant carry your ninja in your jeans pocket if it had a touchscreen... i just dont get your point :D

+ you can use screen protectors for the screen :p

(i would use them with or without the touchscreen :p )

and finally you could buy a new touchfoil if your current one is wrecked :p or just remove it....

I vote yes, because hey, if my game doesn't need it, I don't have to use it. ;)

But I am a little curious as to what games would be made that use it, if any.

Nilsiboy posted on Jul 9 2005 at 06:39 PM said:
people...it should not run linux, nor should it be a PDA, It's meant to emulate SNES, MD, maybe NeoGeo, or even PSX.....
it has everything to run linux or PDA apps, except touchscreen which is really cheap if you buy arround 100... so why should i buy a PDA for arround 300€ if i can also use my handheld which cost arround 150€ for that. if you dont want to use it as PDA, dont use it! but it would be nice for everyone who want to use it also that way.
it also make this thing much more intresting for Devs and could become a bigger community.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pros and cons:

Pros:

Touch screens are made out of glass = Robust
Some are modular (have connector) = Replaceable when broken
Developers (homebrewers) don't have to use it = Good games w/o touchscreen and good games with touchscreen.
Mouse usage = More versitale software and emus.

Cons:

Costs $8 more and will break the bank :p
Stupid developers will use it stupidly (not true, stupid people can't develop :p)
People will put their greasy fingers on it (not true, you'll break their fingers!)
Will be weak (not true, has builtin glass protector)

So there you have it, theres no reason not to. :)

GiG posted on Jul 9 2005 at 11:06 PM said:
Why not an analog stick? It would work like a mouse.
Elsamma suggests a microphone

Ah, I don't need Linux on a handheld <_<

NO ANALOG! they SUCK for playing emulators. The only way I would go for any kind of analog is if it was in *addition* to a d-pad.

Blah posted on Jul 10 2005 at 08:03 AM said:
Pros and cons:

Pros:

Developers (homebrewers) don't have to use it = Good games w/o touchscreen and good games with touchscreen.

Cons:

Costs $8 more and will break the bank :p
Stupid developers will use it stupidly (not true, stupid people can't develop :p)
People will put their greasy fingers on it (not true, you'll break their fingers!)
Will be weak (not true, has builtin glass protector)

So there you have it, theres no reason not to. :)

Well, if that's really true, I take back my "No"-vote. But $8 more seems awfully little to me. Are you sure about that?

Also, what about the power consumption?

And I'd still add an analogue stick instead of a dpad. Whoever said sticks are not suitable for classic games has obviously never used a Gamecube pad. :-D

Nilsiboy posted on Jul 9 2005 at 10:51 PM said:
3. if you have a touchscreen, everyone will say "w000t touchscreen" and put their fingers on it because they only know DS ads...believe me...only very few will notice the "strange plastic stick thingie" at the back

Another point is that if it has a touchscreen, one wont be able to carry it around in a jeans pocket or such. That's what I like about the GP32, it's somewhat robust.
Sorry for you, but i don´t hang around with retarded people like this and if i encounter them, i don´t "show off my handhelds".

And besides, i carry my Zodiac around a lot in my cargo jeans pockets, that´s what the flipcover is for... (But i would never carry my GP32 like this, because it is too thick).

DaveC posted on Jul 10 2005 at 07:11 AM said:
GiG posted on Jul 9 2005 at 11:06 PM said:
Why not an analog stick? It would work like a mouse.
Elsamma suggests a microphone

Ah, I don't need Linux on a handheld    <_<

NO ANALOG! they SUCK for playing emulators. The only way I would go for any kind of analog is if it was in *addition* to a d-pad.

Cool! D-Pad+analog stick! Cool, COOL! :lol:

Blah posted on Jul 10 2005 at 07:03 AM said:
Pros and cons:
Pros:

Cons:
Possibly costs $8 as long as we can use that supplier and assuming that it is compatible
Undoubtedly complicates development of the system
People will put their greasy fingers on it
fixed

Back