Problem With Drmd (sega Emulator)

well.. ok i formatted the card and did everything from scratch... the craziest thing happened.. again everything is way too fast.. the game itself, the music, everything is like 10x fast forward...

I asked for the link of that underclock utility.. not the emu or firmware.. i did a search.. cant find it.

Ok... I was a able to get somewhat decent speed when i MANUALLY set the frameskip speed to 0. I dont understand why that had any effect, since the PC emulators like Gens, and Xega, worked perfectly at the "auto" frameskip setting. The sound is terrible however. It sounds like a fast forwarded tape and at times even garbled and growling. Would you guys say that your sound it perfect and it sounds EXACTLY like your old SEGA did??? I'm sure the speakers are capable of decent sound since the movies sound just fine.
Also, I really dont like the joystick.. it feels very stiff, unprecise, jumpy, and at times erratic. I thought that GP2X was DESIGNED with games in mind, but I was wrong. Games like MKII and Super Street Fighter are completely unplayable. Throw a fireball with ken or ryu?!!! --- FORGET IT!! IMPOSSIBLE! Also, there is absolutely no support for a 6 button pad. I understand that there's only 4 buttons, but I wish I could map the other two to L and R buttons. What about save states? - you might say... Well those would be exectuted by a combination of some two buttons.
Oh, and 1 more thing... battery life is abysmal. My rechargeable batteries dont last even 2 hours. (my batteries are good. they last forever in my walkman, flashlight and my digital camera) The unit does not signal the dying battery in any way. No led lights up.. no beeps, nothing.. just shuts itself off or screen turns into a mosaic. I am overall very dissapointed with GP2X and I feel stupid that I fell for all the ads and good reviews. I'm sure they were written to boost sales, and not to give a honest opinion.

Ok... I was a able to get somewhat decent speed when i MANUALLY set the frameskip speed to 0. I dont understand why that had any effect, since the PC emulators like Gens, and Xega, worked perfectly at the "auto" frameskip setting. The sound is terrible however. It sounds like a fast forwarded tape and at times even garbled and growling. Would you guys say that your sound it perfect and it sounds EXACTLY like your old SEGA did??? I'm sure the speakers are capable of decent sound since the movies sound just fine.
Also, I really dont like the joystick.. it feels very stiff, unprecise, jumpy, and at times erratic. I thought that GP2X was DESIGNED with games in mind, but I was wrong. Games like MKII and Super Street Fighter are completely unplayable. Throw a fireball with ken or ryu?!!! --- FORGET IT!! IMPOSSIBLE! Also, there is absolutely no support for a 6 button pad. I understand that there's only 4 buttons, but I wish I could map the other two to L and R buttons. What about save states? - you might say... Well those would be exectuted by a combination of some two buttons.
Oh, and 1 more thing... battery life is abysmal. My rechargeable batteries dont last even 2 hours. (my batteries are good. they last forever in my walkman, flashlight and my digital camera) The unit does not signal the dying battery in any way. No led lights up.. no beeps, nothing.. just shuts itself off or screen turns into a mosaic. I am overall very dissapointed with GP2X and I feel stupid that I fell for all the ads and good reviews. I'm sure they were written to boost sales, and not to give a honest opinion.
1) Don't get all pissy about homebrew developers. You get what you pay for. In this case, you get a whole lot more.
2) The joystick sucks, agreed, however there are loads of mods you can do.
3) Battery life is OK now, get some decent batteries. Plus, battery life will get better.
4) New firmware (1.3.0) will switch on the battery LED when you get low battery.
5) The reviews were written by real people who had ordered real GP2Xes. They weren't trying to sell it, they were just giving an honest opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I really dont like the joystick.. it feels very stiff, unprecise, jumpy, and at times erratic. I thought that GP2X was DESIGNED with games in mind, but I was wrong. Games like MKII and Super Street Fighter are completely unplayable. Throw a fireball with ken or ryu?!!! --- FORGET IT!! IMPOSSIBLE! --snips bulk of whinging --I'm sure they were written to boost sales, and not to give a honest opinion.
1) Don't get all pissy about homebrew developers. You get what you pay for. In this case, you get a whole lot more.
2) The joystick sucks, agreed, however there are loads of mods you can do.
3) Battery life is OK now, get some decent batteries. Plus, battery life will get better.
4) New firmware (1.3.0) will switch on the battery LED when you get low battery.
5) The reviews were written by real people who had ordered real GP2Xes. They weren't trying to sell it, they were just giving an honest opinion.

By christ Nick, I'm impressed that you could keep your responses so cool and calm after that tirade.

Allan.

I am overall very dissapointed with GP2X and I feel stupid that I fell for all the ads and good reviews. I'm sure they were written to boost sales, and not to give a honest opinion.

I'll buy yours then .. how does $10 sound?

And remember this as a life lesson; if you don't possess the capabilty to use an open-source machine designed for home-brew, then you may just be better off with a GBA.

What life lesson are you talking about? Not to buy things that everyone says are good? Well it's only human to do so.
What pisses me off is that I payed a lot of money for something that doesnt live up to to even HALF the hype raised around it.
I'm not a newbie when it comes to computers, and I have no trouble reading the manuals, or trying to fix any problems that might arise, but I cannot fix something that doesnt even have the potential to work... how can you do anything about the joystick that isnt designed for playing games?
This might be a bad comparison, but it is like trying to play the xbox using an old NES controller!!
I dont understand why any of you guys would take offence at my writing. It is not like YOU built this piece of junk... Why defend it so zealously?
I admit it. I know nothing about Linux, or making homebrew. But the way I understood it, the GP2X was not made just for developers and programmers. It was also made for people who just want to pick it up and use the ready made games and emulators. AM I WRONG ABOUT THIS???
And I have just one last thing to say... What do you people do with your GP2X?? You cant play most emulated games because most are unplayable due to the joystick. You cant watch movies because even a 2 gig card wont fit you more than 3 full length movies, and the battery will die on you. You cant listen to high quality music because the ipod is much better for this job. What's there left to do? Sit there and create ports of old pong and tetris games? crate new skins? other little useless programs?
Please dont get upset over the things I say. I really am clueless, and off course I'm a lot more of a user then I'll ever be a programmer or a developer.
I'm just stating my honest opinion and I'd like to hear yours.

I have no issues with the joystick. I play DRMD, MAME, NES, SNES, games on it and they play fine. My rechargeables last 3-4 hours which is fine by me. What's the big deal?

I am overall very dissapointed with GP2X and I feel stupid that I fell for all the ads and good reviews. I'm sure they were written to boost sales, and not to give a honest opinion.
These reviews were written for smart people, able to understand that firmwares are actually in some sort of "beta" state ...

EDIT : removed bashing ;)

I admit it. I know nothing about Linux, or making homebrew. But the way I understood it, the GP2X was not made just for developers and programmers. It was also made for people who just want to pick it up and use the ready made games and emulators. AM I WRONG ABOUT THIS???
Ready made emulators ?! But wtf are you thinking ?
And I have just one last thing to say... What do you people do with your GP2X?? You cant play most emulated games because most are unplayable due to the joystick.
I can. Buy a psp or a ds.
You cant watch movies because even a 2 gig card wont fit you more than 3 full length movies, and the battery will die on you.
Buy a dvd player and a a bunch of dvd
You cant listen to high quality music because the ipod is much better for this job.
Buy an ipod
What's there left to do?
Sell your gp2x, that's all you can do ...
Sit there and create ports of old pong and tetris games?
Actually that's the fun part
crate new skins? other little useless programs?
Yeah all of these programs are really useless. Now ... why exactly are you always here ? :D

What life lesson are you talking about? Not to buy things that everyone says are good? Well it's only human to do so.
What pisses me off is that I payed a lot of money for something that doesnt live up to to even HALF the hype raised around it.
I'm not a newbie when it comes to computers, and I have no trouble reading the manuals, or trying to fix any problems that might arise, but I cannot fix something that doesnt even have the potential to work... how can you do anything about the joystick that isnt designed for playing games?
This might be a bad comparison, but it is like trying to play the xbox using an old NES controller!!
I dont understand why any of you guys would take offence at my writing. It is not like YOU built this piece of junk... Why defend it so zealously?
And I have just one last thing to say... What do you people do with your GP2X?? You cant play most emulated games because most are unplayable due to the joystick. You cant watch movies because even a 2 gig card wont fit you more than 3 full length movies, and the battery will die on you. You cant listen to high quality music because the ipod is much better for this job. What's there left to do? Sit there and create ports of old pong and tetris games? crate new skins? other little useless programs?
Please dont get upset over the things I say. I really am clueless, and off course I'm a lot more of a user then I'll ever be a programmer or a developer.
I'm just stating my honest opinion and I'd like to hear yours.
Firstly, the fact that we get a release per day at least shows the enthusiasm behind this "piece of junk". That's what most of us are here for anyway. The community and open source ethos of this piece of kit is what keeps it all together, really. That's why we can live with its little faults.
As for your 'what do you do with it?' question, my answer is: well, multiple things. First and foremost, I like to code. Whether it's a Doom engine or a Tetris clone, I enjoy every last bit of it. And when it gets tough, I either stick to it and have a sense of accomplishment when it's done, or go and do something else. Some people feel a great sense of achievement when their 'little useless program' is running on their GP2X.
Secondly, I play games. There are over a hundred games currently available that I can play, which is then enhanced by the emulators, which bring on thousands of classics and the like. The joystick doesn't annoy me too much, I can play fairly well with it. With my 1GB SD card, I can fit a huge library of games. Free. I don't even have to buy some super-expensive memory card because I can't use anything else, I get a relatively cheap SD.
I watch video. I can fit four good-quality full-length movies on my SD card. All I have to do is rip them off a DVD into a DivX AVI and they play. TV Out will be a huge bonus, and it adds a lot to the value of the system.
I don't listen to music, I have an MP3 player for that. iPods are simply overpriced.

Basically, the GP2X is all I ever want it to be and more, and if you don't think it's for you, send it back and pay an extra £100 for a PSP.

I can only speak for myself, but even from day one I had no major gripes about the joystick. True, the cap sucks, and the stick itself was a bit stiff, but after a few hours of use, it loosened up nicely. As was said before, there are plenty of easy-to-do modifications to the stock joystick cap (do a seach for 'retrocon' as an example)

Also true, is that you don't need to be a programmer to use the GP2X. You should, however have some patience and forgiveness with applications/games/emus (the original point of this thread), since I have yet to see a "Final version" of anything that's been developed for this system. What we have is mostly comprised of Beta versons, works-in-progress.

You are the first person I've seen here that had any trouble with DrMDx (aside from the few games that don't work correctly; chalk it up to compatability issues ... also being worked on)

Overall, you present yourself as someone who has trouble getting a few games to run perfectly on a free beta version of an emulator, and has decided that the system itself is garbage, and the community as a whole has deceived you.

I'm curious, how much research did you do before taking the plunge? I bought my GP32 after reading up on it for several weeks before I understood exactly what the system was capable of, and what was available for it. 've been at these foums for awhile now, and when the GP2X was announced, I voraciously read anything I could about it and knew exactly what I was getting myself into.

Like I have stated before, I have never had these so called "Dead Zone" problems. So I can't tell you how bad it is, but when I look at what the smart people say about it, it seems that the Dead Zone is only a minor annoyance that many people have and can't stand.

It could be that I DO have the dead zone problem, and just don't realize it because I'm an adaptable gamer.

Have you even TRIED pming Reesy yet? I bet you haven't. You should try contacting the dev if no one else can help you.

If you can't handle opensource things, then you should stay away from computers in general.

Some peoples are happy and others are not. What's new? Those who are not happy will disappear from the scene, and the others will live on. Yes, GP2x has more problems than usual, but what's usual about GP2x to begin with. ;)

If you want a simple life lesson, it's the fact that you heard what you wanted to hear and didn't pay attention to what was right in front of you. Frankly, if you are surprised by the firmware-in-progress issues, mediocre joystick, and currently incomplete emulators, then your research into the product was simply inadequate. Either that or your reading comprehension skills leave a lot to be desired.

It's not that I don't have issues with the GP2x, as I'd give the joystick about a 2 out of 5, but it is absolutely playable, and does really detract from my gaming. Overall, I got what I expected and the unit only promises to get exponentially better.

I can only speak for myself, but even from day one I had no major gripes about the joystick. True, the cap sucks, and the stick itself was a bit stiff, but after a few hours of use, it loosened up nicely. As was said before, there are plenty of easy-to-do modifications to the stock joystick cap (do a seach for 'retrocon' as an example)

Also true, is that you don't need to be a programmer to use the GP2X. You should, however have some patience and forgiveness with applications/games/emus (the original point of this thread), since I have yet to see a "Final version" of anything that's been developed for this system. What we have is mostly comprised of Beta versons, works-in-progress.

You are the first person I've seen here that had any trouble with DrMDx (aside from the few games that don't work correctly; chalk it up to compatability issues ... also being worked on)

Overall, you present yourself as someone who has trouble getting a few games to run perfectly on a free beta version of an emulator, and has decided that the system itself is garbage, and the community as a whole has deceived you.

I'm curious, how much research did you do before taking the plunge? I bought my GP32 after reading up on it for several weeks before I understood exactly what the system was capable of, and what was available for it. 've been at these foums for awhile now, and when the GP2X was announced, I voraciously read anything I could about it and knew exactly what I was getting myself into.

You are saying that I'm the 1st person you've seen that had any trouble with DrMD. Well, DrMD was the biggest reason why I got the GP2X. You ask if I did any research in advance. Off course I did. You say it yourself.. for most ppl DrMD works fine. I installed everything correctly, yet it doesnt work well at all. I couldnt know this in advance, and I made a big mistake. Let's just leave it at that. THE END.

Back