Prepare for the next level

I am quite curious too. I was wondering but I was kind of afraid to ask...cuz I don't think I truly understand the harm.

It sounds like a good idea - but it isn't.

All batteries swell over time - and then you will never get it out again and at some time it will just burst your Pyra.
Just out of curiousity, why isn't that a problem for every phone manufacturer in the last +10(?) years ?
Maybe because a phone's life span is about 2 weeks before the next upgrade? :)
Just kidding. I too would like to know, and it's not just phones, but tablets, netbooks, laptops, etc.

Could the battery case not just be made a little bigger than necessary to hold the battery's insides, giving room to expand within the confines of the physical case?

Sorry if it's already been asked/discussed before:

What about the audio section? Will it have a dedicated headphone amp? Will it have a dac?

All batteries swell over time - and then you will never get it out again and at some time it will just burst your Pyra.
Just out of curiousity, why isn't that a problem for every phone manufacturer in the last +10(?) years ?
Well you should see the bulging battery in my old flip phone, Smartphones mostly use lithium ION which doesn't swell. Also every phone I've owned had soft lids. 

I've got four different phones with huge batteries now (which I should get rid of, btw).

From various manufacturers.

And I haven't seen a smartphone where you slide in your battery...

Well you should see the bulging battery in my old flip phone, Smartphones mostly use lithium ION which doesn't swell. Also every phone I've owned had soft lids.
I've got four different phones with huge batteries now (which I should get rid of, btw).

From various manufacturers.

And I haven't seen a smartphone where you slide in your battery...
Ah ok, I guess I lack the personal experience, did not own many cellphones over the years, and the only "old" phones I see are usually already "converted" into toys, so they already are months or even years away from a charger.
I wasn't adressing the "slide in" idea in particular - I just always wondered why the Pandoras battery has no hard shell.

I have two phone batteries which prove that it most certainly is a problem with them.

I wasn't adressing the "slide in" idea in particular - I just always wondered why the Pandoras battery has no hard shell.
From what I understand, using the soft shell makes them more durable and less likely to explode.

-God Ginrai

I'd also guess that the much larger size of the Pandora/Pyra battery makes this a more prominent problem than a small phone battery? I had a couple of Blackberry phone batteries that swelled, one was the official battery included with the phone. It certainly happens.

They do make Lithium polymer in a hard case.   But it makes it thicker obviously. 

The battery of my HTC HD2 was so thick that I couldn't fit the cover anymore. I guess I was lucky that it is not in a hardcase.

Schugy: http://hackaday.com/2014/02/28/pcb-antenna-reference-designs/ I suppose anything that isnt a 3d antenna design is up for consideration.

Yeah guys it was just a fan made concept, but it was very good, and had some awesome ideas, such as the slide out battery, I really think that is a very good idea. That way the battery isn't all wobbly inside like it is in the Open Pandora.

It could be if the whole ordeals unscrews from the top. Should the battery get stuck you can then unscrew the PCB and lift it up from underneath.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Assuming you notice it in time. If you don't, the bulging battery may bend and break stuff inside your pyra. How much pressure can the battery take in the crammed space before bursting violently? I have to admit I have no idea of the magnitude of anything regarding this :)

I own a Nokia 5800 with a greatly bulged battery (it almost doesn't fit now inside the case) and also a much older SonyEriccson T610 that also had this problem. I own also a Nokia N80 that didn't suffer this problem, dunno why sometimes batteries get fat and other times they don't.

B-zar, it would damage the screwthreads if anything, since it bulges evenly (?). Then again, a system which snaps in place would solve this. Much like the current battery hatch does. Ball rivets locking into round sockets instead of screws would probably be better than something which looks like it should be opened.

And in im favour of that since its tool-less and hacker friendly.

Certainly it would be usable more times than self-riveting screws in plastic is.

To flex a PCB to where it breaks means more than 30 degrees at an angle, and a high amount of force.

Edit: Would be interesting to know the limits of the plastic production, because in my head i see the desire for a design that has an additional boundary component where the battery slides in from the side.

Last edited by a moderator:
I own a Nokia 5800 with a greatly bulged battery (it almost doesn't fit now inside the case) and also a much older SonyEriccson T610 that also had this problem. I own also a Nokia N80 that didn't suffer this problem, dunno why sometimes batteries get fat and other times they don't.
Please tell me, that you do not press these time bombs against your head.

I think I heard it from somewhere that Lithium battery usually swell up due to large current. I guess it can be prevented to some degree by putting a current limiting charging circuit in there.

But, this might not be the only reason batteries go bulged.

Please tell me, that you do not press these time bombs against your head.
I think it would probably first start to burn and stink before it explodes so you would have time to throw it away - wouldn't it? :)

Back