Preorders

What is the longest you have had to wait for an pre-order? (choose the smallest duration that fits)

• Total voters

The longest time I've waited for a preorder before Pandora was the Dreamcast. I ordered in July 1999 when the release date was Set for sometime in October. About a week before that date I was informed from the store where I pre-ordered that the release had been delayed to 30 November, due to some problems with the US release (or something like that).

The Dreamcasts were finally released on November 30, but the four release games were held up in Customs for one day, meaning I could not play my pre-ordered game until the next day (I bought a different one to tide me over for that day from those released locally a week BEFORE the DC), and the VMUs arrived even later, on the 21st December, meaning that I couldn't even save a game until almost a month later. Looking back on it I can laugh about it now, but it really was infuriating at the time when I'd get so far into Sonic Adventure and then have to start all over again the next day all because the bloody VMUs had been delayed.

Not to turn this into the LOLfiles, but this seemed somehow relevant:

http://platformers.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/slash000.jpg

I pre-order 'The Young Ones' for my speccy and waited about 6 months.

When it arrived I couldn't have been more dissapointed.

I was only about 11 or 12 at the time and had read the preview in You Sinclair and, being a huge fan of the TV Series, I had to get it.

I almost cried when it arrived and it just seemed like total crap.

This (the game being crap) always seemed to happen to me when buying games for my speccy. I never learned to wait for reviews first...

Trevor Bradley said:
Not to turn this into the LOLfiles, but this seemed somehow relevant:

http://platformers.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/slash000.jpg

The only item i ever pre-ordered was a PC Card based hard disk for an Amiga 1200 at a whopping 300MB. The device was delayed, delayed, delayed, turned up and didnt work. I sent it back and a week or so later the receivers were called in.

Paid for with my second student grant cheque, the Amiga was bought with my first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Preordered Final Fantasy III.
Preordered Mortal Kombat II.
Preordered a PS2 seven months in advance.

For the most part I basically preordered a Turbo Duo as well had it shipped directly from NEC as soon as they hit the states.

Then, there's the Pandora which is going to hit a year in advance preorder or beyond at this rate.

I pre-ordered Team Fortress 2.... still waiting for that one...

Funny thing is, "Special Reserve" (anyone remember them?) probably would have kept my pre-order and money if I hadn't chased it up to cancel several years later.

Enverex said:

Funny thing is, "Special Reserve" (anyone remember them?)

Haha I remember then from the days that their adverts consisted of a few small pics and *massive* lists of games! I used to love looking at those lists and imagining what all the mysteriously titled games were actually about (back in the days before you could just go onto Wikipedia and find out!)

There is a very important missing option: I got screwed!
I once ordered a modem (loooong time ago), did not know it was a preorder. They charged my credit card, never delivered. It took many months before I finally got a refund.

Pleng said:
Enverex said:

Funny thing is, "Special Reserve" (anyone remember them?)

Haha I remember then from the days that their adverts consisted of a few small pics and *massive* lists of games! I used to love looking at those lists and imagining what all the mysteriously titled games were actually about (back in the days before you could just go onto Wikipedia and find out!)

I live not far from where their office was. I used to collect stuff from them long before they opened the shop - STOS for the Atari ST ....aaaaaah those were the days ;)

Well... with just 14 days remaining to the 2 year anniversary of my order I got it!

WOOOOOOOOO! :)

It was late. It was in a foreign currency from an inconvenient location (HK) made by a UK company. There was sweet fa information even if I asked but it's finally mine and in good nick. The fun thing was that there were two items in the order. One was /really/ late and the other was only slightly late and I wound up having it sitting there, allocated to me, for the majority of the pre-order wait.

FUN.

I lost a whole bunch of email but, since May 2008 the order was delayed... 12 times and then my CC was rejected cos in that time I got a replacement with a new number. That was a whole lot of panic and sunken feelings, much like what I felt when my currency dropped by 30-35c. Erk.

That was my crazy purchase for 2007, come to fruition in 2009.

My crazy purchase for 2008/2009 is... The Pandora. :)

Whee! :)

Gruso said:
Hehe, nice one. What is it, if you don't mind me asking?

No laughing now. :)

https://www.first4figures.com/component/option,com_myphp/Itemid,3/product,48/

One of the only games where the characters really grabbed me. :)

P.

Gruso said:
No laughing here! They're very cool.

Indeed. :) I bought the gamecube primarily because it was in a box set that came with the two N64 games.

Those games give me the warm and fuzzies. :) Hope to be able to play some of the earlier ones on the Pandora.

I also have the tv cartoon series on dvd (bought it from the US) and the comic books are on their way. :)

Oh. And I played on a Zelda themed text-based game.

P.

Pandorous said:
I bought the gamecube primarily because it was in a box set that came with the two N64 games.

Those games give me the warm and fuzzies. :) Hope to be able to play some of the earlier ones on the Pandora.

Ah, another Ocarina of Time fan. Having played Zelda 1 and 2 (Adventure of Link), A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, Minish Cap and Wind Waker, I must say Ocarina of Time is for me personally the best Zelda ever. Oddly enough, it possibly holds the most nostalgic value for me out of all the Zeldas, although I was already 15 when it was released. The world, the atmosphere, style and characters... Still stimulates my imagination. When I get a screen (I think they were called TV's a while back) with compatible inputs, I shall replay Ocarina of Time.

I may have pre-ordered some other things, but if I did they pretty much showed up on time. This is the only one I've had to wait for, and I hope that it turns out in good shape. Had to vote it didn't turn out as I wanted just based on the time.

The team has done a good job, I think, with sticking with this. I just hope it's really 2 months away now. :b

fiori_musicali said:
Pandorous said:
I bought the gamecube primarily because it was in a box set that came with the two N64 games.

Ah, another Ocarina of Time fan. Having played Zelda 1 and 2 (Adventure of Link), A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, Minish Cap and Wind Waker, I must say Ocarina of Time is for me personally the best Zelda ever. Oddly enough, it possibly holds the most nostalgic value for me out of all the Zeldas, although I was already 15 when it was released. The world, the atmosphere, style and characters... Still stimulates my imagination. When I get a screen (I think they were called TV's a while back) with compatible inputs, I shall replay Ocarina of Time.

Yes! Ocarina of Time was and still is a fantastic game. It has the same nostalgic value for me too; the best in the series. I have, well, pretty faint hopes it will work on my Pandora..

Pandorous said:
Well... with just 14 days remaining to the 2 year anniversary of my order I got it!

WOOOOOOOOO! :)

It was late. It was in a foreign currency from an inconvenient location (HK) made by a UK company. There was sweet fa information even if I asked but it's finally mine and in good nick. The fun thing was that there were two items in the order. One was /really/ late and the other was only slightly late and I wound up having it sitting there, allocated to me, for the majority of the pre-order wait.

FUN.

I lost a whole bunch of email but, since May 2008 the order was delayed... 12 times and then my CC was rejected cos in that time I got a replacement with a new number. That was a whole lot of panic and sunken feelings, much like what I felt when my currency dropped by 30-35c. Erk.

That was my crazy purchase for 2007, come to fruition in 2009.

My crazy purchase for 2008/2009 is... The Pandora. :)

Whee! :)

good to see u here, buddy

Back