Gp2x Ext Power & Serial Port

risu

Still Fresh
I guess this could have gone to general talk but as a newbie forum member I've put this here.

1. I just got GP2x MK-I in my hands. I was wondering if it would be possible to power GP2x via EXT-port? I searched board and gp2x-wiki but all I found was that I could use a external power supply for GP2x and get 3.3v from EXT-port for power small devices. It's just I'd like to have only one connector to be plugged into EXT-port to keep things simple. I probably have to hack the hardware to reconnect some ext-pins to DC-supply connector?

2. Is there an easy way to disable serial output on boot and handle serial port on your own programs? I guess firmware should be hacked a bit for that?. Or is it easier to use some USB->serial -cable/dongle to have a completely new serial port for writing gp2x-programs using serial coms?

-K-

Anyone using successfully usb->serial cable on usb host-port?

From previous threads, it is possible to power the 2x though the EXT port although you then lose the ability to turn it off using the power switch.

Also, it COULD damage the DC-DC converter (if it's a Mk II, I believe)

Overall, not the best idea to try.

Not sure about the serial port being turned off though.
I had an idea that if you wanted to use the Serial port for your own apps, mark the output/inputs with a known handle. So, for instance, all the information from your own app would be tagged with "MyApp:" at the start of the packet. Makes it easy to see what you want to listen to and what to ignore. Saying that, I've not used it yet.

Hope that's of some help.

Back