Post Your Speed Over Wifi

So will wifi speed increase with more tinkering, or is this all we can expect?

It depends. The N900 has max speeds about 900kB/sec, so this could be the limitation the chip can do at a max.
Also, wget seems to have some troubles - using wget on the N900 also drops the speed down to 300 - 400kB/sec...

Using a browser to do speed testing is a bad idea, as browser performance can also slow things down, but that's no WiFi issue.

For better speed tests, you need to use a tool like netcat or bing.

If you ping a server, don't use an internet server - as the ping response changes with the route, and you never know if you get the same route with ping each time again.
Ping a local PC or your router for that :)

I'm getting a big reduction in ping response time when I turn power management off, going from 40-70ms down to < 10ms. No real noticeable change in download speed, other than the download rate reaching the 50kb/s max faster than when power management is on.

Defo said:
I get 12.42mbps (1.55MB/s) on my desktop according to ispgeeks. I get 159.92kbps (19.99 KB/s) on my Pandora at 4 feet from the router. :(
Just retested, and I get 304.94KB/s (2.38mbps) now. Not sure why it increased dramatically, as I didn't change anything, but I'm not complaining. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Doubtful, as I already had hotfix 2 installed when I did the first test, and I still have it installed now.

Like a new pair of jeans, the bits needed to be broken in before they could move fast enough.
Shut up, it's a perfectly logical explanation! :p

ok I run the test used the HFS on my windows 7 pc to host a par2 file which was 50mb it started off quite high but slowly decreased, my pc is connected via 100mb lan cable to the router the pandora is connected to the router using wifi so you would expect quite high speeds but anyway here are my results are they good or bad?

Code:
100%[=======================================>]50,780,276   196k/s   in 4m 17s
2010-06-30 21:24:56 (193 KB/s) - 'test.par2' saved [50780276/50780276]

so dunno if thats good or not?

http://tenmeg.myby.co.uk/ (uk? server, non-flash)
1404.7 kbps.
Desktop gets 1613kbps, router is connected at 1824 kbps, and BT uses profiles to avoid saturating the adsl section.
Will try again from work tomorrow if I remember. ispgeeks gave me 660 kbps 3 times, and 1300 once - think the test is too short.

Alerino and tsh, are you actually posting kbps, or do you mean KBps? kilobits (lowercase B) or kilobytes (uppercase B)? I think everyone else has been posting in kilobytes, so best to keep consistent.

maybe it's me doing soemthing wrong but I tested using

Code:
wget http://mirrorblender.top-ix.org/peach/bigbuckbunny_movies/big_buck_bunny_1080p_h264.mov > /dev/null

and wget tried to save this file on the home directory (it shows up in a "ls" in other terminal and the file stay's there if doing ctrl-c)

so it seams not always to go to /dev/null - not sure how fast writing to Nand or SD is, but might play

Polossatik said:
maybe it's me doing soemthing wrong but I tested using

Code:
wget http://mirrorblender.top-ix.org/peach/bigbuckbunny_movies/big_buck_bunny_1080p_h264.mov > /dev/null

and wget tried to save this file on the home directory (it shows up in a "ls" in other terminal and the file stay's there if doing ctrl-c)

so it seams not always to go to /dev/null - not sure how fast writing to Nand or SD is, but might play
wget -O /dev/null http://mirrorblender.top-ix.org/peach/bigbuckbunny_movies/big_buck_bunny_1080p_h264.mov

wget gets the file and saves it to the current directory unless you tell it otherwise with the -O option (a few other commands will also let you change the directory it puts it to)
personally, I like to use "curl" for these sorts of things. It's a lot less intelligent so I get a lot more control over what it's doing.

edit: and to be sure, that is an upper case O in the wget line. Lowercase o means something different.

Here are two videos about downloading OpenOffice from their servers.

Please read the description for the details.

What is strange is, that in the university with a really fast connection wifi seems to be good (with some occasional slowdowns). At home I don't get these speeds. I will make a video when i'm at home again.
My homeconnection should provide 1,2 M/s but I only get ~150 K/s there. In the University, where there should come 50 M/s from the network it is ~500 K/s.

The other video is about downloading the same file with a USB to Ethernet adapter, that should provide about 50 M/s. I think here the only limiting factor is the SD-Card writespeed.

so is there enough feedback now to know if there is a problem, looking @mcobit when downloading the open office file over wifi seems ok but it keeps going from 500+k/s to 140+ks then back up its not very consistent im pretty sure this is the problem everyone is having.

I think there is a wifi driver issue that's causing dropped packets or something that's definitely slowing things down.
anyway I hope an expert can check things for us.

tsh said:
http://tenmeg.myby.co.uk/
1404.7 kbps (0.175 MBps) @home
and at work:
2166 kbps (0.27 MBps)
Laptop gets 8814 kbps (1.1 MBps)

So I'm wondering if there is an issue with packet size or latency, AND the issue extends past the wifi link upwards to the ISP. At home, I have virtually no buffering between the pandora, and BT's pipe at the other end. BT throttles the pipe to only push 0.25 MBps down the wire, but every packet which is lost due to overflow needs to be re-sent from the exchange. At work, I expect there is a big fast and expensive buffer connected to the wireless AP with 100Mbps ethernet.

Back to minitube - this doesn't play anything for me, but using youtube-viewer (command-line interface to mplayer) works fine (not with HD though), no glitches (and takes 50-60% cpu @800 HMz)

I cant stay to touch my Pandora. On my old notebook (some ASUS - should be a/b/g, some Intel wifi) I get about 1 - 1.2 MBps. Now on my new one (ThinkPad W500 - Intel wifi link 5300 AGN) I gets something like 2 - 2.1 MBps. Both via wifi connected the same router (Canyon, wifi b/g only), downloading huge files from big servers or via torrent with lot of seeds. Thanks to my friend I have quite good internet connection - cable 30 mbps downlink / 3 mbps uplink.

I expect my Pandora tomorrow evening (or early after weekend) so I do some download tests.

i think one of the firmware devs should look into this maybe try and replicate the issue alot of us seem to be having.

I don't have exact numbers right now, but I've been seeing sporadic results at best sftp-ing my ommpc builds to the device and just plain poor results a great majority of the time. Occasionally I'll get 150-200KB/sec, but more often it slows to a crawl of <50KB/sec. I have at one time see 400+KB/sec pulling a file from the device, but that was fleeting. Anyway, just wanted to include my voice as "one with apparent issues"...

milkshake said:
i think one of the firmware devs should look into this maybe try and replicate the issue alot of us seem to be having.

That won't happen till there is a bug report.

Back