Post Your Speed Over Wifi

i tried yesterday (couldnt get wget to work at all?) but chrome could only save to sd or nand, it did a quick start to nand which i interupted, but in 5 seks it reached 5mb so thats aboyt 1megabyte per second with power off

edit: will try wget to /dev/null later

Be cafeful with these so-called ISP speed sites. Results will vary wildly.
As an example, I get a different set of results of between 2 - 4Mbps simply by testing between IE8 and Firefox on Win 7. Firefox shows the higher results in the range 5 - 7 Mbps whereas IE8 shows between 2 - 5Mbps.
On the Pandora, this also varies between browsers, although it does seem to consistently increase across all browsers with sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off.
Also, overclocking has the effect of increasing the rate.

A portable device such as the Pandora will never get the same rate as a desktop PC for example. It's all to do with efficiency, how the download software (be it web brower, FTP client etc) is implemented, the hardware (CPU speed etc). Not saying there aren't any optimisations that can't be made with the wifi driver (there probably is), but don't expect to max out.

Has anyone tested what sort of speeds they get with USB Wifi dongles?

I remember ED saying that one he was testing used less power than the internal wifi and was also faster, but that was when the wifi was even more buggered on the Pandora.

Javacat said:

I remember ED saying that one he was testing used less power than the internal wifi and was also faster, but that was when the wifi was even more buggered on the Pandora.

That was before we had powersaving for internal wifi working :) Now the stick uses more.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Javacat said:

That was before we had powersaving for internal wifi working :) Now the stick uses more.

but how is the speed versus power ratio on both? :)

say, at 1megabyte/sec, which draws more power?

Last edited by a moderator:
lucidchaos said:
power off 7.72ms
power on 54.5 ms

so... yes there is a profound difference.

any other ideas?
Code:
curl http://mirrorblender.top-ix.org/peach/bigbuckbunny_movies/big_buck_bunny_1080p_h264.mov > /dev/null
Or any other large file somewhere out on the web.
Let it run for a bit, see the average download speed. Do the same on your PC for comparison.
Once I get my Pandora I intend to perform similar curl tests on my local network to test the extent of the wifi and any problems it may have.

edit: stupid auto url shortener.

WizardStan said:
lucidchaos said:
power off 7.72ms
power on 54.5 ms

so... yes there is a profound difference.

any other ideas?
Code:
curl http://mirrorblender.top-ix.org/peach/bigbuckbunny_movies/big_buck_bunny_1080p_h264.mov > /dev/null
Let it run for a bit, see the average download speed. Do the same on your PC for comparison.
Once I get my Pandora I intend to perform similar curl tests on my local network to test the extent of the wifi and any problems it may have.

speaking of big buck bunny
i tired all 4 formats at 480p, and none of them plays :/
tried reconverting into something but didnt work either xD

any known good format? :)

If you want to test this from a local windows pc,you can install HFS http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/
download and start the executable, say no to the shell integration question, drop and drag a decent size file (100MB or so) to the "Virtual file system"
then do
Code:
curl http://<ipadress of the windows pc>/<file name> > /dev/null

I get using this setup on my old PIII Ubuntu laptop about 995k average fetching a 100M file using 54Mbit Wifi

WizardStan said:
Code:

What the hell? Don't do that, that's way too much bandwidth that you're sucking up. Do it with something smaller, please?

Perky_Goth said:
What the hell? Don't do that, that's way too much bandwidth that you're sucking up. Do it with something smaller, please?
Que? Why does it matter? If you're on a connection where you pay for bandwidth, you have my pity. I get 150 gigs a month before the cap goes on, a couple hundred megs doesn't bother me.
In any event, you don't need to let the entire thing run, just run until the average speed smooths out a bit and then ctrl-c to cancel. Depending on your speed, this may only take a few seconds, or it might keep climbing for a minute or two.
It needed to be a file of some significance, a couple hundred megs at least, so that even on the fastest internet connection you can get that minute or two for comparison. It also needs to be legally free to download. When I think "large" and "free", I think "Big Buck Bunny" and "Linux Distro ISO".
That being said, 1080p is a little overkill. I probably should have chosen a different version of the video, the 480p version or even the iphone version.

These files are hosted in Italy though, so may not be entirely accurate. For a North America server, you might try the DVD ISO, hosted at archive.org.

Ok, i did this, got no curl...

Code:
sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off
wget http://mirrorblender.top-ix.org/peach/bigbuckbunny_movies/big_buck_bunny_1080p_h264.mov > /dev/null

Avaraged at around 800-900 kilobytes per second.

then i tried

Code:
sudo iwconfig wlan0 power on
wget http://mirrorblender.top-ix.org/peach/bigbuckbunny_movies/big_buck_bunny_1080p_h264.mov > /dev/null

same thing? o_O

^ Perhaps power saving is only effective when downloading smaller things with periods of idle in between. I guess downloading a large file deactivates power saving automatically.

GizmoTheGreen said:
same thing? o_O
You may be maxing out your connection speed regardless of power saving on or off. It's possible the chip itself just cannot go beyond 8Mbit or so.
I'm more curious to see if those experiencing seemingly slow speeds get different numbers.

Code:
sudo iwconfig wlan0 power on

I used this and got between 38-40 K/s and an of about 4h 40m.

But then when I turned power management off... something weird happened...

I am getting over 200K/s average with my speed fluctuating wildly (between 70K and 410k). My ETA is 51m at 4% progress. :D

... And now at 5% my connection dropped. :blink:

Up until now I was concerned I had a defective wifi chip/antenna/solder mod. Now it seems more of a software error...

I just went back into chromium and tried the method I posted on the first post. My result is worse - 14kB/s

I also still can not stream an mp3 from my share without it skipping (using default mplayer settings. Setting up a buffer fixes this problem. I would recommend this be changed in the next firmware).

A 700mb AVI file does not play back over wifi without buffering. I know this may be somewhat of a different issue but at the end of the day this is what is important to me, not the numbers ^_^

WizardStan said:
GizmoTheGreen said:
same thing? o_O
You may be maxing out your connection speed regardless of power saving on or off. It's possible the chip itself just cannot go beyond 8Mbit or so.
I'm more curious to see if those experiencing seemingly slow speeds get different numbers.

I was more surprised it didnt go DOWN after turning the power saving on again!
And our connection should be able to handle 2.5 megabytes per second atleast, ive downloaded from steam that fast.
We have a 100mbit connection. both up and down :)

GizmoTheGreen said:
I was more surprised it didnt go DOWN after turning the power saving on again!
And our connection should be able to handle 2.5 megabytes per second atleast, ive downloaded from steam that fast.
We have a 100mbit connection. both up and down :)
802.11g has a physical limitation of about 2.5MB/s throughput (what you actually see) under absolutely perfect conditions. It is, of course, literally much higher, but taking into account error correcting, tcp/ip overhead, bunch of other stuff, you're left with about 2.5MB of actual data every second. Unless your router and wifi chips are doing some especially clever things (which sometimes they do) you will never be able to download a 100 meg file in less than 40 seconds, no matter how fast your internet is.
And then the wifi chip itself may simply be limited. Seriously, it is possible the chip itself cannot go faster than about 900KB/s. Like, 802.11g might have a max of 54mbps, but the wifi chip may be physically limited to half that, 22mbps, which would only get you to about 1.2MB/s max under the best of conditions.
Actually, something just occurred to me and I think only MWeston may be able to answer this. I've been assuming that the wifi was operating in 4bit mode, but I don't actually remember why I made this assumption. It could be possible that the wifi chip is only operating in 1bit mode to the SD bus, which would mean it is only running at 24mbps. That would explain why people are only getting 900-1000KB/s, since it has a theoretical max throughput of 1.3MB/s. 70% is pretty good in this case. Doesn't explain the others getting sub 100KB/s speeds, but we'll deal with one problem at a time.
Can anyone comment? MWeston, can you say for certain that the wifi is wired as a 4bit SDIO? Notaz (whom I think worked on the driver), does the driver run it in 4bit mode or SPI mode?

VRAndy said:
So ... yea. Pandora's Wifi is not ... fast.
Ping times to google.com are more than double (~80ms) on my pandora than they are on my desktop (~30ms)

Back