Post Your Dosbox Successes Here

skeezix said:
Exult almost certainly will get ported :) (If not by anyone else, remind me in a month and I'll do it.)

jeff

You, sir, should setup a way for folks to donate to you if you're actually going to start making dreams come true like that. I know there's the dev fund and whatnot, but I've wanted to finally get into Ultima 7 (although first I have to figure out how to get the XCOPY working on my Collection CD) for years, and I think my Pandora is my easy ticket in, so an exult port would be... well... faptastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dead1nside said:
Little Big Adventure and Dungeon Keeper would be the ones I'd be interested in seeing tested.

Edit: A link in this thread has reminded me that I was involved in a previous discussion on this, the conclusions were Dungeon Keeper cannot be done.

Well, for a giggle, I have in fact tried Dungeon Keeper.
And, to be honest, it wasn't as slow as I expected!

Nowhere near playable, however.. it is very much sub 5FPS and I had to overclock to 850, whack up DosBox's cycles to a mad amount, and stick on the dynarec.
Possibly if I got rid of sound, it may boost it up to about 5FPS but I doubt it. ( *note* this is me guessing at the frame rate, it could actually be slower or faster, I'm not a good judge at that. )
For the brave willing to go and test it, don't be a lunatic and copy the CD over and install it on the Pandora like I did.. you'll be there for a good hour as the install program does it's thing.. install it on your PC at least, and copy the files over that way.

I attempted Settlers 2 as well, and surprisingly, it was even worse. Wasn't expecting that one.. but that was on the base settings so I'll try it with my insane settings and see if it's any better, as Dungeon Keeper really WAS a slideshow on default settings.

I'll have a look at Fallout as well, seeing as I have my CD just next to me!

Stuckie said:
Dead1nside said:
Little Big Adventure and Dungeon Keeper would be the ones I'd be interested in seeing tested.

Edit: A link in this thread has reminded me that I was involved in a previous discussion on this, the conclusions were Dungeon Keeper cannot be done.
Nowhere near playable, however.. it is very much sub 5FPS and I had to overclock to 850, whack up DosBox's cycles to a mad amount, and stick on the dynarec.

just set the cycles to max and you will get the amount the pandora can handle at the current clockspeed

Stuckie said:
I attempted Settlers 2 as well, and surprisingly, it was even worse. Wasn't expecting that one.. but that was on the base settings so I'll try it with my insane settings and see if it's any better, as Dungeon Keeper really WAS a slideshow on default settings.
Noooooo! That makes me sad. What about Settlers 1?

Stuckie said:
Dead1nside said:

Well, for a giggle, I have in fact tried Dungeon Keeper.
And, to be honest, it wasn't as slow as I expected!

Possibly if I got rid of sound, it may boost it up to about 5FPS but I doubt it. ( *note* this is me guessing at the frame rate, it could actually be slower or faster, I'm not a good judge at that. )

Looks like I'll have to rest my hopes on Pandora-PSP and What Have I Done To Deserve This, My Lord?! 1 and 2 for dungeon-ecosystem management.

You're a brave man, and the prayers of a grateful nation go out to you.

Eniko said:
Stuckie said:

Just play the Amiga versions.

craigix said:
Eniko said:
Stuckie said:

Just play the Amiga versions.
I'm totally starting to sense a pattern here.

skeezix said:
Exult almost certainly will get ported :) (If not by anyone else, remind me in a month and I'll do it.)

jeff

Would you be willing to try a Pentagram port as well? If so I would be more than happy to donate to it.

Amiga version will be fine - and probably better than PC on many occasions IF we get HDD support and proper mouse /clicksreen support. I used to reccomend Wiz users always try to find SNES or Megadrive ports if available to alleviate load times and solve control issues. With Pandora, a lot of great DOS games were also ported to the PSX, so PSX would be my first "port" of call if I wanted to find a different version. Certainly Amiga version are going to be great when (and I think I can say when instead of if on this occasion) we get nicely installed HDD games and proper touch screen support. I also consider some MAC ports of games a possibility at some later point. Till the software starts getting the bugs irpned out, go with PicoDrive, then SNES and then amiga if your game isn't running good in DOSBox.

relapse808 said:
Would you be willing to try a Pentagram port as well? If so I would be more than happy to donate to it.
Not to be a naysayer but... last I checked Pentagram was far from complete, barely playable, and not updated for years. Is there much sense in trying to port it? Not that I wouldn't totally give it a go if someone did, just that I can think of more complete things to port.

TitanUranus said:
With Pandora, a lot of great DOS games were also ported to the PSX, so PSX would be my first "port" of call if I wanted to find a different version.
Yeah, I actually found out that Crusader had a PSX port (oh happy day!). No clue how good (or bad) it was but I'm gonna give that a go when I get my Pandora. The reason I don't know about any Amiga versions is because the Amiga thing just completely passed me by, but I suppose if something won't run well on Dosbox I'll start looking for Amiga versions now. Save Craig from having to go "just use the Amiga version" over and over. :p

Stuckie said:

Well, I have it running just now.. it's got load times that give Modnation Racers a run for it's money! Surprisingly, the install was pretty quick, unlike Dungeon Keeper.
Seeing as it is a slow-paced RPG, you could possibly get away with playing it if you were very patient, but the scrolling and mouse movement is horrific in places.
It does speed up a bit when it goes into tactical mode for attacking things ( rats, in my case.. I haven't managed to get out the first area yet as it's a bit too slow for me ) but it's not something I'd say runs at an enjoyably playable frame rate.
And don't expect the videos to play well at all.

Again, this is at 850Mhz, dynamic core, normal scaler ( seems DosBoxFE defaults to scale2x? ) and "max" cycles ( according to DosBoxFE. )

Stuckie said:
Stuckie said:

Well, I have it running just now.. it's got load times that give Modnation Racers a run for it's money! Surprisingly, the install was pretty quick, unlike Dungeon Keeper.
Seeing as it is a slow-paced RPG, you could possibly get away with playing it if you were very patient, but the scrolling and mouse movement is horrific in places.
It does speed up a bit when it goes into tactical mode for attacking things ( rats, in my case.. I haven't managed to get out the first area yet as it's a bit too slow for me ) but it's not something I'd say runs at an enjoyably playable frame rate.
And don't expect the videos to play well at all.

Again, this is at 850Mhz, dynamic core, normal scaler ( seems DosBoxFE defaults to scale2x? ) and "max" cycles ( according to DosBoxFE. )
It is possible that the 2x scale is slowing it down a ton because the Pandora does not support hardware scaling yet? I hope we get a more optimized build on the Pandora so Pandora gets playable.

skeezix said:

jeff

I was just about to ask why there was no love for Ultima 7 in this thread, glad to see other people love this game as much as I do. I still have the original packaging, cloth maps, and strategy guides for both Black Gate and Serpent Isle lying around. Serpent Isle was also the game that made my mom pay more attention to the content in games I played due to the sexual activity.

Eniko said:
My dad coddled me in graphing paper on which he had manually copied down all the tiles of the Ultima 4 worldmap. And people wonder how I became such a huge nerd. :huh:
HA! I love it. I have a friend that is teaching his 5 year old to draw Mario 3 sprites on graph paper. Why waste time with coloring books when he can make art?

Will Dosbox for Pandora be updated in the future to be better optimized, have more cycles etc...?

TylerAW said:
Will Dosbox for Pandora be updated in the future to be better optimized, have more cycles etc...?
As much as anything on the Pandora (or any other system, for that matter) will be "updated in the future to be better optimized".

I've only tried out one game in DOSBox so far (well, one that worked, anyway - see below :p ), and I don't think anyone could rightly say it's a very good one - it was the first of the two bizarre officially-licensed Mega Man games (it worked perfectly at 900 cycles). :p

Pleng said:
I also tried Jazz Jackrabbit, just for giggles (yea I know there's OpenJazz which I am using now). It stuttered a lot and was not really playable. I overclocked to 850Mhz and performance was pretty much the same.
Which version did you test in DOSBox, please? I own Jazz CD, and it completely freaks out - it acts as though I'm holding left all the time, even though I'm not. Trying to press right results in Jazz walking on the spot endlessly (and up and down do nothing at all). It also does this in between "pages" of the cutscenes/intro. Did you come across this? If so, how did you make it stop?

Back