Post Your Dosbox Successes Here

xyta said:
Pickle said:
tried wacky wheels and its very slow
Some people recommend to replace the DOS4/GW extender by the DOS/32 Advanced Extender for a better performance. Did you use DOS4GW or DOS/32A?

I have seen that, i did not try many things to optimize the speed yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
CapcomSuicide said:
In a previous thread I discussed using a decompression tool for planning mixed gas diving. It was unfortunatly not possible to directly compile this onto Pandora.

I just saw this thread, and I have another tool that I used before V-Planner, called "ProPlanner" this was a DOS tool, and didn't run on WinXP, so we used DOSBox (PC) to great effect.

What factors effect if a PC DOS application will work on Pandora DOS Box? This could be exactly the workaround I need!

http://www.vr3.co.uk/vr3/main.php?content=proplanner

The interface for this software is old school, but it works fine. (I have done deep mixed dives on ProPlanner from 1996 to 2002 without bends) So this would be fan bloody tastic if it works on Pandora!

PS: The other sofware had "Linux x86 libraries" that needed porting. What's the deal with DOSBox? Maybe it will run native PC apps? The PC requirements are very small, it runs on a 386, if that matters?

Cheers

C_S

photo-20589.jpg

Dosbox is an emulator that will run the native x86 dos apps. You can test if the software will work by downloading the PC version of dosbox and trying to run ProPlanner in dosbox at 3000 cycles/sec. My guess is that it will work fine since its just text based. At worst you may have to wait a few seconds longer then on a normal computer but it should still work.

Would anyone mind trying "Stunts"? It's the racing game made by Broderbund that you can build your own tracks.

These tests should be posted to the wiki. Game compatibility hasn't been added to dosbox in the wiki yet, tho. However, there is a game compatibility list under mame (with no entrys :( ). It would also be a good idea to add game compatibility lists to apps.open-pandora.org IMHO. One that could be edited by people with accounts.

Something with info similar to this:

Game:
Version of EMU:
Date of Test:
Clockspeed:
FPS:
Sound quality:
Payable?:
Glitches/comments:

Its either that or someone starts making lists in this forum. Not it!

DixieDawg said:
Would anyone mind trying "Stunts"? It's the racing game made by Broderbund that you can build your own tracks.

Ive tried that it will run fine, it might have been in one the dosbox vids...cant remember

xyta said:
Another game: destruction Derby...
I imagine the PlayStation version would run well, if the DOS version doesn't.

WizardStan said:
CapcomSuicide said:
PS: The other sofware had "Linux x86 libraries" that needed porting. What's the deal with DOSBox? Maybe it will run native PC apps? The PC requirements are very small, it runs on a 386, if that matters?
DosBox is a complete emulator. It will be able to run native apps in a virtual machine. Because it's emulating, it requires more CPU than a native application would, but I don't think yours there will have any problems.

OK! Cheers for that, music to my ears! I didn't realise that DOS box was a full on virtualised OS, I can't wait to try this! On PC it really doesn't matter how slow your PC is, it just takes a few more seconds to wait for the decoplan, that's all. I thin

It will be fun to give this a shot!

This is how we do it on VIsta/WIn7:

http://www.nigelhewitt.net/stuff/ProplannerVista.html

So hopefully it will work the same on Pandora.

Thanks again.

C_S

relapse808 said:
Someone in this thread mentioned Ultima. I am wondering if there are plans for Exult for Ultima 7 and Pentagram for Ultima 8. I think both of them are open source and Ultima on the go would rock!

Not sure if anyone has officially announced plans to port Exult, but I don't imagine it being very difficult since its already been ported to other handhelds. The port for the GP2X was excellent, and the touchscreen support for the F-200 was a nice addition. Thanks for pointing out Pentagram - I had not heard of that project. Even though I wasn't a huge fan of Ultima 8, I would still love to see it running on a Pandora.

CapcomSuicide said:
This is how we do it on VIsta/WIn7:

http://www.nigelhewitt.net/stuff/ProplannerVista.html
3000 cycles? Looks like it will run perfectly. Should be exactly the same :)

Pickle said:
tried wacky wheels and its very slow
Hm. If Wacky Wheels runs slow, my two requests are definitely out (Terminal Velocity and Tomb Raider). Guess that means I don't have to keep saving them for my Pandora.

Good to hear that Keen works. I grabbed the entire series (sans Keen Dreams) from Id a while back just for the Pandora. :)

I also tried Jazz Jackrabbit, just for giggles (yea I know there's OpenJazz which I am using now). It stuttered a lot and was not really playable. I overclocked to 850Mhz and performance was pretty much the same.

Pickle said:
sold said:
I dont think I will be getting my Pandora for a while yet, so I was wondering if anyone has tried or is willing to try any of the following games and tell us if they work:

Afterlife
Carmageddon (I know it most likely wont, but it may be a pleasant surprise)
Wing Commander 1, 2 and Privateer (I think they should work)
Cybermage
Syndicate
Blood (I doubt it, but if I had my pandora, I would give it a try.)

I would try every dos game I own if I had my Pandora and report back, but alas I am yet to recieve the email of joy. Thanks to Pickle, it looks like we all get the most kickass handheld version of DosBox to date, so I am so stoked to be in the first batch. If anyone could try any of these games out and post the results, that would be very awesome of them :D

tried privateer and i thought it was too slow to play

Privateer is a surprisingly demanding game. I think I set to 15000 cycles on my PC. It gets particularly slow, no matter what, when you get close to jumpgates.

pder said:
relapse808 said:
Someone in this thread mentioned Ultima. I am wondering if there are plans for Exult for Ultima 7 and Pentagram for Ultima 8. I think both of them are open source and Ultima on the go would rock!

Not sure if anyone has officially announced plans to port Exult, but I don't imagine it being very difficult since its already been ported to other handhelds. The port for the GP2X was excellent, and the touchscreen support for the F-200 was a nice addition.

+1 Exult ran just fine on my GP2X-F100, I would love to see it on the Pandora.

Pickle said:
DixieDawg said:

Ive tried that it will run fine, it might have been in one the dosbox vids...cant remember

Thank you Pickle!

Pleng said:
DroneB Dev said:
i would love to see some skyroads!

I had a little go on Skyroads and it looks to work just fine :)

SUPERB!!!

now what about liero? is it possible?

Wolfsclaw said:
Hey jeff, what would you recommend, playing the original warcraft II on dosbox or the wargus/stratagus engine port, which might be faster, but probably more incomplete?

Woa, had a two hour meeting and look what happened in this thread :)

1) Sorry, some of my dosbox runs were long ago (so would have to look up my blog entries to see cpu rates), and more recent stuff (the other night) .. I just don't recall, sorry; I don't think much about flipping cpu speed (it doesn't heat up, and I did some heavy OC testing on the proto unit to see if it'd blow up and it was fine, so I just don't worry about it; I might set my unit to run 750 or so by default all the time, just for fun ;) For my reviews and youtube videos and such I always am careful to define the environment, but the other night I actually thought I'd 'play' a little bit, rather than being all formal and official. So I was fiddling around with speeds and games and it was late..... I just can't recall if I OC'd or not I'm afraid :( Brain getting soft in my old age ;)

2) As to playing Strategus versus WC -- well, they're two different games, play both ;) Remember that stratagus is not a port, it is a new game engine that can adopt the artwork, audio and other resources from a game. It uses (last I checked) its own AI and so forth, and augments the UI and so on. So Stratagus/Wargus/etc is similar to ("derived from"?) the original, but is not the original.

So try both and see what meets your needs .. emulation performance versus convenience.

But 50 more posts, let me go read up :)

jeff

Clean3d said:
Hm. If Wacky Wheels runs slow, my two requests are definitely out (Terminal Velocity and Tomb Raider). Guess that means I don't have to keep saving them for my Pandora.

Good to hear that Keen works. I grabbed the entire series (sans Keen Dreams) from Id a while back just for the Pandora. :)
Well, Tomb Raider might be possible on the psx emulator eventually.

hitbyambulance said:
D\Generation should look (and play) nicely

ST and Amiga versions should run flawlessly too (the ST one does.)

jeff

Exult almost certainly will get ported :) (If not by anyone else, remind me in a month and I'll do it.)

jeff

Back