Post Your Dosbox Successes Here

Pickle said:
SomeGuy99 said:
Guys, how are you mounting your dos directory?

both dosbox and dboxfe should support mounting pandora/appdata/dosbox/games as the C drive as is.

Ah okay. My Dos folder was on the root of my card. I need to put it inside the appdata folder then...

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon said:
Pirates! Gold is VERY playable, including sound :)
MAD TV also working nicely :)

OMG, Pirates Gold! Can't wait to play that one again. Don't have my panda yet (just got the email) but I will definitely be testing boat loads of dosbox games when I do. I'll post here if you all haven't beaten me to it. Good times B)

Eniko said:
I wonder if Syndicate will run...

I was thinking the same thing. Picked up a copy from Ebay in anticipation. I think there's an engine reimplementation for this game somewhere too.

Could this game work?
http://www.squakenet.com/computer_games/1919/Network-Q-Rac-Rally/download.html

:D

I dont think I will be getting my Pandora for a while yet, so I was wondering if anyone has tried or is willing to try any of the following games and tell us if they work:

Afterlife
Carmageddon (I know it most likely wont, but it may be a pleasant surprise)
Wing Commander 1, 2 and Privateer (I think they should work)
Cybermage
Syndicate
Blood (I doubt it, but if I had my pandora, I would give it a try.)

I would try every dos game I own if I had my Pandora and report back, but alas I am yet to recieve the email of joy. Thanks to Pickle, it looks like we all get the most kickass handheld version of DosBox to date, so I am so stoked to be in the first batch. If anyone could try any of these games out and post the results, that would be very awesome of them :D

sold said:
I dont think I will be getting my Pandora for a while yet, so I was wondering if anyone has tried or is willing to try any of the following games and tell us if they work:

Afterlife
Carmageddon (I know it most likely wont, but it may be a pleasant surprise)
Wing Commander 1, 2 and Privateer (I think they should work)
Cybermage
Syndicate
Blood (I doubt it, but if I had my pandora, I would give it a try.)

I would try every dos game I own if I had my Pandora and report back, but alas I am yet to recieve the email of joy. Thanks to Pickle, it looks like we all get the most kickass handheld version of DosBox to date, so I am so stoked to be in the first batch. If anyone could try any of these games out and post the results, that would be very awesome of them :D

tried privateer and i thought it was too slow to play

In a previous thread I discussed using a decompression tool for planning mixed gas diving. It was unfortunatly not possible to directly compile this onto Pandora.

I just saw this thread, and I have another tool that I used before V-Planner, called "ProPlanner" this was a DOS tool, and didn't run on WinXP, so we used DOSBox (PC) to great effect.

What factors effect if a PC DOS application will work on Pandora DOS Box? This could be exactly the workaround I need!

http://www.vr3.co.uk/vr3/main.php?content=proplanner

dive_main.gif

dive_trimix_rb.gif

dive_trimix.gif

dive_restore.gif

The interface for this software is old school, but it works fine. (I have done deep mixed dives on ProPlanner from 1996 to 2002 without bends) So this would be fan bloody tastic if it works on Pandora!

PS: The other sofware had "Linux x86 libraries" that needed porting. What's the deal with DOSBox? Maybe it will run native PC apps? The PC requirements are very small, it runs on a 386, if that matters?

Cheers

C_S

photo-20589.jpg

Thanks Pickle. Its a bummer that Privateer runs too slow. I guess that means the most the other games I listed are probably out of the question. Just out of curiosity, is the Pandora port of dosbox a port of the latest version? I read somewhere that the latest version has some speed improvements and game fixes, though I wouldn't know if those improvements would be relevant to an arm port.

I would love to see how Ultima VI runs. I remember playing it on a 386SX-16 back in the day.

sold said:
Thanks Pickle. Its a bummer that Privateer runs too slow. I guess that means the most the other games I listed are probably out of the question. Just out of curiosity, is the Pandora port of dosbox a port of the latest version? I read somewhere that the latest version has some speed improvements and game fixes, though I wouldn't know if those improvements would be relevant to an arm port.

its based on the svn and i should be very close the the cutting edge, i usually resync if im messing with it.

I suspect that driver program would run

Eniko said:
Wasn't the PC version superior? Or am I remembering things that aren't true?

I think that's why Craig recommended the Amiga version. Amiga games were mostly designed to run on an Amiga 500, which can be emulated full speed by the Pandora.

If PC games were designed for a 66 MHz 486, they might look much better, but could be too demanding for the Pandora. :)

I wonder if Super Karts or Wacky Wheels can be played @pandora's Dosbox...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlEgavKyj88

xyta said:
Eniko said:
Wasn't the PC version superior? Or am I remembering things that aren't true?

I think that's why Craig recommended the Amiga version. Amiga games were mostly designed to run on an Amiga 500, which can be emulated full speed by the Pandora.

If PC games were designed for a 66 MHz 486, they might look much better, but could be too demanding for the Pandora. :)

I wonder if Super Karts or Wacky Wheels can be played @pandora's Dosbox...

tried wacky wheels and its very slow

CapcomSuicide said:
PS: The other sofware had "Linux x86 libraries" that needed porting. What's the deal with DOSBox? Maybe it will run native PC apps? The PC requirements are very small, it runs on a 386, if that matters?
DosBox is a complete emulator. It will be able to run native apps in a virtual machine. Because it's emulating, it requires more CPU than a native application would, but I don't think yours there will have any problems.

Someone in this thread mentioned Ultima. I am wondering if there are plans for Exult for Ultima 7 and Pentagram for Ultima 8. I think both of them are open source and Ultima on the go would rock!

relapse808 said:
Someone in this thread mentioned Ultima. I am wondering if there are plans for Exult for Ultima 7 and Pentagram for Ultima 8. I think both of them are open source and Ultima on the go would rock!

There rarely "are plans" for such things. Do your best to encourage development in that direction by talking up those projects over here, and by talking up the Pandora over there. Accept that things will move slowly until at least one person with know-how, interest and a Pandora takes notice.

EDIT: Also, yes. Yes it would rock.

Pickle said:
tried wacky wheels and its very slow
Thanks... :(

Some people recommend to replace the DOS4/GW extender by the DOS/32 Advanced Extender for a better performance. Did you use DOS4GW or DOS/32A?

http://dos32a.narechk.net/manual/html/user/3.htm -->Example 2?

Another game: destruction Derby...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chphq1Q-byc

Back